Godalming Hotel
US$130
Asperion(Guildford)
US$130
US$120
Holiday Inn Guildford(Guildford)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$127
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewssmall bottle of winefull english breakfastsleigh bedpub next doortea and coffeesmall hoteldouble roomneeded somewheretown centredecent sizestayed here for one nightbreakfast was excellentrearloseleylionsbarncharacter
Reviewed 17 January 2010

To put the 4 out of 5 in context in our minds £60 a night B&B is pretty damned good value. For that money your alternative is an identikit chain hotel and even they would probably charge extra for a boil in a bag breakfast.

The room we had (1) was 'compact' but well appointed and clean. The bed was well dressed and comfortable, the decor was modern.

Breakfast was Good and well cooked and taken in the light airy and modern dining room. One down point here was there was a large screen TV showing MotD, now personally I don't like TV's on when I'm eating and I'd be tempted to have background music instead.

This hotels only major downpoint in our view was that the lack of carpets and soft furnishings in the public areas made it quite noisy at times. The Walls are not that thick either so if you are unlucky enough to be next to people who like their tv's on loud it might be a pain.

Overall if you want to support a local buisiness rather than feed a corporate giant then worth a stay for a couple of nights.

1  Thank LBBoz
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Our room was adequate & accomodated our large dog that we took with us.The shower door was very badly fitted & did'nt shut properly so let water out onto floor of bathroom.
Maintenance men were painting doors in passageway to our room whilst we were there,so strong smell of gloss paint & newspapers on floor which our dog slipped on & got paint on her.
Breakfast was small & cold & served on stone cold plates!When I complained the man didn't seem to understand what I was saying,although the next morning it arrived on warm plates!
All the staff were friendly although very limited in their English language which made it difficult at times to get things across.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2009

As an earlier reviewer has noted, local hotels such as this offer an adequate, usually cheaper and always more characterful alternative to the chains. Our family stayed for four nights over Christmas. The management put us in two rooms (at no extra cost) to make us more comfortable.

The bedrooms are clean and cosy, if a little dark. The bathrooms are new and spotless. The dining room is attractively furnished in a contemporary style. It's an easy walk into the town centre - ideally along the river. The staff are delightful. The breakfast is straightforward but delivered with great courtesy and punctuality. I find myself baffled when people except the Plaza Athenee in small market towns, and at prices like these. Happy to recommend the Godalming Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Good value at £60 for 2 people b & b. The location suited our needs very well but I would have been prepared to pay say another £20 or so to take it up a notch or two. ie for little touches like bottled water in the room, larger towels, extra pillows and a better quality breakfast with more choice.‎

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I made the mistake of using this hotel, if you are going to book, totally against my advice, then make absolutely sure you have written confirmation of the booking.

I visited twice in person to make sure it was legitimate and the manager seemed friendly enough, so I advised guests at our wedding to stay there, as it was convenient and cheap. I came to severly regret that decision.

A few months before the wedding one of our wedding guests from overseas had phoned in to book up 7 rooms.She also gave a credit card number over the phone to confirm the booking. About a month later the owner rang her back to ask again for the credit card number which he had lost - which should have been warning enough, but we trusted that it would be ok as he had all he needed now.

A week before the wedding, I wanted to be absolutely sure the bookings were ok as the guests were from overseas, so I myself rang up to confirm all the bookings.

To my horror I found out that he had "lost" all the bookings, he claimed to have never spoken to me before (even though I visited twice), he claimed he never got a credit card for any bookings (even though we have the phone record to prove he rang up the wedding guest to get the lost credit card number), and he lied his way through the conversation. I totally lost it, as now these 10 overseas guests had nowhere stay for our wedding, all the local hotels were booked up, and this guy was just lying to me, talking absolute crap, and then they hung up.

Anyway the hotel was full, so I had to find 7 rooms for 10 people right at the last minute, plus I had to rearrange all the transport that had been booked in advance.

When two of my other guests from overseas booked independently, and when they turned up, he had cancelled their booking, because I got so angry at him. So I had to find them a place to stay as well...the story just doesn't end...

Basically they keep all their bookings in a book, which gets lost from time to time. It is quite simply the worst hotel you can possibly think of, do not stay there, ever.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends