“Great Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Manchester
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights and have to say how nice it is
Very clean and really nicely designed
Lovely Mahogany sleigh beds which are really comfy
Nice breakfast in the morning
All in all a really good hotel and very well priced

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Essex
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I booked this hotel for myself, my husband and another couple as we were visiting friends in the area, we normally stay at the Premier Inn, which is a good hotel but they were charging £79 per night without breakfast. I found this place for £65 with a full English so booked it. When booking I was told that they had no double rooms available but they would push the beds together, so I was happy with that.

Upon arrival and checking, unfortunately the bedrooms were not made up as doubles, I did mention this to them and they apologised and very quickly moved and changed the bedrooms for us.

Our room was very clean and neat and the bed was very comfortable and soft (an absolute dream), our room was at the front of the hotel so there was quiet a bit of traffic noise from the main road. My friends room was at the back of the hotel and they said that they did not hear a thing and had a wonderful nights sleep, however, they did complain to me that the floor in their room was not very clean. Ours however was spotless. There is tea and coffee in the rooms, flat screen TV and free wi-fi (which we did not try out).

There is something slightly strange about the hotel, not sure if it was the fact that I was under the impression that it was a big hotel but it’s rather compact and the pictures on the web site are accurate, I just thought it was bigger. It’s sort of on the borderline of a glamorous B&B and contemporary hotel. The Chinese staff, although nice and friendly, the older one came across a bit off at times but I am sure that is a culture thing (however, the young lad who served our breakfast was brilliant and could not do enough for us). Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would come back again to this hotel rather than the Premier Inn. I also really loved the quirky little touches around the hotel – very nicely done.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
West Midlands
Reviewed 25 April 2010

had a party in Godalming and needed a B&B for the night. Needed a family room but they had none available so gave me a double room and a single room at a good rate!! on arrival we checked in and the member of staff noticed I was on crutches and said that the room which was allocated to us was not only quite small but was also upstairs and the bigger room was allocated to a single person who had not yet turned up so they swopped the rooms to meet my requirements, this was without me asking as I was prepared to walk up the stairs. The rooms are not massive but meet all the needs for a overnight or couple of nights stay, flat screen tv, Free internet access, hair dryer, fresh clean towels. The beds are very comfortable, the bed linen is nice, clean, tasteful, soft and smelt gorgeous, as though you had washed them at home yourself. The bathroom was very clean and modern. There were two sittings at breakfast 8.30 or 9.30 which we was asked on arrival which time we would prefer. Upon arrival at breakfast we was asked if we would like a full English breakfast which we all said yes to. There was Orange Juice to help yourself to and a selection of cereal, cornflakes, cheerios, muesli and bran flakes which you could help yourself to. Hot toast was brought to the table and then an english breakfast of 1 sausage, 1 piece of bacon, mushrooms, beans and a fresh grilled tomatoe all very nicely presented and tasted wonderful. Tea and coffee was also served and you could have as much as you like as well more toast if required. The whole experience was excellent and I would recommend this B&B to anyone who was going to Godalming for a short visit.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Thank you for your review.

It is very satisfying to hear such positive statements on our hotel and the service we provide which I will pass on to my staff
Portsmouth
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I booked this for a couple of days rest and relaxation, it was excellent, a very clean, bright room, I had no problems with the Wi fi There was a tea and coffee tray. Breakfast was fine, it was hot, not greasy, with plenty of tea and toast.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Thank you for your review.
We appreciate your positive comments and are glad your stay was enjoyable.
Manchester
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I came to stay at the Godalming Hotel on 14th February. I complained to a member of staff at reception that the room (on the ground floor next to reception) was cold and requested to change rooms. We were informed no other rooms were available. The bathroom floor was fit for ice skating.

It also became evident the room was not fit for purpose. The shower door was broken and worse, the room was disgustingly dirty. (I later sent the owner the photos I had taken of the bodily fluid present all over the wall above the bed). When we complained we were accused of making the mess on the wall, (some of it was even on the bedhead) and told we would not be refunded our money. I refused to stay at the hotel, obviously, and had to go and stay at the local Travelodge. Why couldnt the manager apologise and try to resolve the situation? We subsequently found out there were further rooms available... in fact the hotel was only half full!!!! So they lie as well....

I complained again that evening via telephone (by this time it had ruined our special valentines day/night) and requested a refund for the £60 I had paid via my debit card for the room. The manager refused to do so, eventually hung up the telephone after accusing us of making the stains and breaking the shower door! And the following day via a face to face meeting informed me they would be charging £30 for non return of the room key (that they had lost!)

So they charged my debit card with a further £30, not only without any authority but without informing me. This is illegal by the way.... The female manager was nothing short of a bully and my partner was in tears at this point....

I had to write two letters threatening civil action before my money was refunded. And when the first refund was processed they debited a further £60!! So i was £150 down for a hotel I couldnt stay in and upset my girlfriend to the extent she was in tears!!!

Stay here at your peril. The room wasn't cosy, the staff were all foreign spoken and no help whatsoever and the whole place puts me in mind of a modern day Fawlty Towers in Surrey.

If you ignore my review and stay here then good luck, because if anything goes wrong and you have cause to speak to the management, you'll need it.

And as for staying here again? I get shivers if I drive past the place.....

BE WARNED.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 41000ft
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
I have checked with the guests who stayed on this date and all of them were happy with their stay.

As I write the response to this review our rating for cleanliness on booking.com is 8.6 out of 10 which is a very good score. Staff also rate 8.6 out of 10.

I am not sure of the motives of the reviewer but it is clear that his comments do not agree with the facts.

Travellers are raving about these Godalming hotels

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I am a regular business traveller to all types of hotels, chains and independantsand I score this hotel very highly. It's clean and very well presented. Excellent value for money - in fact it beats many other hotels at a far higher price. To get this level you'd have to spend about £100 per night and endure the awful feeling of "corporate" hotels.
No evening meal on offer but lots of good places to eat - I used Prezzo and it was excellent.
On arrival the experience is, I admit, clinical/efficient and cold, not unfriendly but Chinese people have a different culture so I can see why some reviewers found it cold. Then again, the experience at larger chain hotels is far worse.
I would not hesitate to stay again.

ps. As uasual the WiFi didn't work in my room - I wish hotels would be more realistic when offering this service as it rarely works in all rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Thank you for your comments and I am glad your enjoyed your stay and rated us so highly.

Wi-Fi is always a bit tricky and sometimes the laptop plays a part with reception too. I do not promise Wi-Fi in the bedrooms but have introduced WLAN-n to improve coverage, unfortunately only the newest laptops have this. I will try to make more improvements to increase coverage to the furthers away rooms as this is clearly a valued service.
Liveaboards
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We have been here for about one week leaving the day after tomorrow. I had stayed a couple of nights a few weeks ago, alone. Free off-road car parking.

Rooms:- Vary in size and some face the road and some the garden. The road is not especially busy at night and the windows are double-glazed - on my first stay I overlooked the road and on the second, the garden. Garden side is best. The double beds are a little too small for us as we are used to King Size but the bedding is high quality for an hotel and the mattresses comfortable. The bedrooms are immaculately clean and bright. Decor is spartan but functional. Free WiFi which runs at a good speed in all the rooms. Hairdryer and tea/coffee hospitality tray. The bathroom (shower only) is clean and works well.

The only food served is breakfast -- a full English is included in the room rate but there are many pubs and restaurants within three miles drive from expensive silver service to fish 'n chips (the chippy is quite good, in Godalming). The staff are happy for you borrow plates and cutlery if you want to bring a take-away back. The breakfast is freshly cooked and really very good. Much better than the buffet breakfasts you find in the more expensive hotels though I don't think they do cold cuts, cheese and there are no croissants, brioches etc. on offer or yoghurt that I could see. The coffee is fresh cafetiere and very good and the OJ is regular long-life not the horrid stuff many more expensive hotels use.

The staff are excellent and they all seem to speak perfect English. Everything is clean, fresh and nice.

During our stay there have been a large number of small businessmen (white vans), office workers, and a few private individuals. All of the guest are polite in this very small hotel where you do say 'good morning' when you enter the breakfast room. The hotel seems to be almost full most of the time - it seems to have a regular clientèle.

I would not trade my room here for one in the Premier Inn, Travel Lodge, etc. unless the others could provide the inclusive B&B deal for, say, £20 per night less -- we are paying £60 per night for two, including two breakfasts which would cost £20 anywhere else.

It is very cold in the UK at the moment and we are using the room as an office and living room during the day -- the heating goes in the early morning and does not come back on again until the early evening. It gets a little bit cold.....the rads are all thermostatic and it would make more sense for them to turn off the rads in the rooms that have been vacated rather than shut down the entire heating for the day. But the hotel is well insulated and it is not a major issue.

Because it is hard to get into this hotel (very popular) I was of half a mind to leave a terrible report :) But that wouldn't be fair or truthful!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
GuildfordMonty, Owner at Godalming Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Thank you for your very positive review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#6 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Godalming Hotel? Share your experiences!