“Fantastic service and food-would recommend!!”
Review of The Refectory

The Refectory
Ranked #15 of 78 Restaurants in Godalming
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was very impressed with this place! We came here on Sunday for a birthday lunch for my mum, we hadn't booked a table and I was not sure if they would be able to fit us in at short notice.
We were immediately met by a very friendly member of staff behind the bar who straight away offered us a table. The place is certainly impressive to look at and although the car park was very full the restaurant itself didn't seem crowded as it is such a large place. We weren't expecting anyone to take our drinks order as we were sat in the bar area but straight away a lovely waitress came and took our orders. I had my little 2 year old with me and the waitress mentioned they had a little play area in the garden if we wanted to take him there later.
We ordered our food at the bar and one of the things that impressed me was that the guy at the bar straight away went to the kitchen and spoke to the chef to double check that the meal we were ordering for my son would be dairy free.
The whole service on the day was fantastic. We were all very impressed with the food we ordered, I had the vegetarian option and it was amazing, we will definetly be back very soon!!!"

3  Thank TasTen79

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Food was good and the building is very impressive. Ate here for
Lunch and the staff were very friendly and very accommodating. Recommend the scallops and the pork tenderloin.

1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We recently enjoyed a drink here whilst sitting out in the garden. The interior of the pub looked lovely, and I look forward to eating here one day.

1  Thank Hannah L
Reviewed 16 July 2014

First visit - impressed with the quality of the menu and more impressed with the quality of the food. Had the pork tenderloin and it was excellent.

Not sure whether this is aiming solely at the restaurant market or also considers itself a pub. Prices are undoubtedly high for pub food.

Have a nice garden/terrace area. Service OK too

1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 5 July 2014

First visit to The Refectory,but most certainly not the last! We are often looking for a friendly atmosheric pub that serves good food for when we have family visiting from Scotland and Cheshire. The Refectory will be on our 'must visit' list. Travelling from Guildford via Milford we came across this pub,the car park was busy, a good sign.
They found us a table even though we had not booked, I would imagine it is advisable to book for a Saturday lunchtime. it was busy with families with small children and a party celebrating a significant birthday. It is very children friendly in the restuarant,it also has a childrens play area outside and a generously sized garden. If however you would prefer an area in the restuarant a little more quiet, I could see areas that would be more private and out of the way of the path from the building to the garden.
The menu was interesting and varied. My husband had the homemade steak burger, I had the Pork Chop, both were delicious and so well cooked and presented. Compliments to the chef.
We followed the main course with dessert. I had the Lemon Panacotta, Hubby had the Sticky Toffee Pudding, as he always does, so he is quite the informed judge of this dessert. The panacotta was simply devine, so light and full of flavour. `Hubbies opinion of his desert……'the best sticky toffee pud he has had in a pub or restuarant, he said "this is a real pudding,full of taste and so light". It was so refreshing to find somewhere that makes their own deserts.
Last but by no means least…. the staff…who were all very helpful,polite,friendly and cheerful. I hope they are paid well for they do excellent work. Have I said enough for you to conclude this was a fantastic lunch experience and highly recommended.