“I was wrong!”

The Stag on the river
Ranked #2 of 77 Restaurants in Godalming
Price range: US$11 - US$33
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Perched on the banks of the River Wey in the charming Surrey village of Lower Eashing you will find the Stag on the River Pub and Inn.A regular haunt for shooters and hunters in years gone by, The Stag on the River has given rest to many a weary soul filling them with local tales, fine ales and hearty food.The tradition remains the same; our infinite passion for great beer and proper rustic food made from the best local ingredients.Come visit us, you will be warmly greeted with the very best that a great English pub can offer
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The riverside pub/restaurant is closer to me. For some reason I had decided it was all form and no substance.

Visited with the girlfriend on a warm evening and sat on the large patio next to the weir.

The menu wasn't cheap, but not expensive for the area.

Unusually I opted for fish and chips (something I normally reserve for the chippy). The girlfriend had a burger and we shared a starter

The food - I must say - was superb. One reason I avoid pub chips is that they tend to be bland and soggy. Not these - they were crisp and (I reckon twice or even thrice cooked). The fish seemed fresh, fleshy and flaky - not over-battered.

The girlfriend's burger was magnificent

Just one side question - what is is with serving chips in a bucket?

It will never be a drinker's pub, but will definitely return for a meal

1  Thank marktj

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a fantastic stay at the stag with lovely food and such welcoming staff which made for a really relaxing and enjoyable time.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

While the title of this review may sound interesting, dining at this pub is a much less appealing experience!

The setting is of this pub is idyllic, beside a small tributary of the River Wey, in the tiny hamlet of Eashing.

Yes, it might have Farrow and Ball paint, smart toilets and there really are staghorns in the bar! But sadly here the pub's good qualities come to an end.

I am local to the area and have dined at this pub three times in recent months. However, each experience has left me feeling even more underwhelmed than the last.

The pub charges a premium for it's food, but fails to deliver on quality.

£12 buys you a burger set adrift on an oversized plate with a meagre portion of chips. Not a lettuce leaf, or tomato in sight, let alone a gherkin!
Served in a tiny bun with cheese and a fried onion ring, you can't help but feel you've been short changed.

My most recent experience of late, when we chose the pub for a light lunch prior to a birthday dinner, produced a 'BLAT' ... A bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato sandwich, priced at £7.95. No longer served with fries, but root vegetable crisps, (presumably as a focus on cost), it arrived with 5 normal crisps, some fatty bacon and the tiniest piece of brown avocado you have ever seen!

The food was brought to our table and as it was served we were reminded that we needed to pick up cutlery from the cutlery station back at the pub. As we were sat in the furthest part of the garden I found it hard to believe that the person serving the food had walked past two cutlery stations and hadn't thought to pick up a couple of knives, forks and napkins on the way, just in case we hadn't.

We all know the way pubs operate.
It's not a full service restaurant, (as I heard one of the staff say in a rather loud voice)! However, a reminder to pick up cutlery on placing your food order at the bar wouldn't have gone amiss.
Moreover, if you are going to charge premium prices, one would expect a slightly better than average level of customer service. I watched as an elderly lady experienced the same treatment as her ice cream melted in the midday sun.

Thinking to deliver food to a table with cutlery takes minimal effort and isn't exactly rocket science! From the pub's point of view would help to keep a lid on cost, something that is evidentially important to the Stag, a pub with the tightest portion control I have ever seen.

To the pub's credit after some constructive feedback both our meals were taken off the bill.
However, in short this is a pub that is sadly trading on its location and people's acceptance of the mediocre!

2  Thank Mark H
Julian C, Owner at The Stag on the river, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review following your experience with us.

I acknowledge that you feel you have had a trend of disappointing experiences with us and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these further with you. If you would be willing for this please can I ask that you call the Stag with your details and I would gladly call you back asap.

I appreciate you have many views of how we run our pub and the service we provide and I would like to discuss these with you. I can assure you that your views are very remote from the experience we endeavour to give all our customers, but we are realists and sometimes we don't get it right for which we are sincerely sorry.

I do hope we get to speak.

Julian Clarke

Director

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Considering this pub is so close to the A3, you don't hear any road noise whilst enjoying the gardens and sitting by the river. A lovely place to visit in summer.

1  Thank Hannah L
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had a lovely steak in this restaurant last week, but in a way you come to expect to be able to get good food in a place like this - the outstanding aspect of it from my perspective was the customer service. I needed a cab and the barman called about 7 different companies until he managed to track someone down - now that's what I call service...