“Tired venue still pulls in the punters!”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming
Ranked #15 of 18 Godalming B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Incredibly helpful staff, and a nice restaurant keep the hoards rolling in. This is a nice venue in nice surroundings. There's a great soul to the the Inn too. However, the poorly maintained decor is looking very tired, particualrly in the Inn Hotel, where the rooms and their associated bathrooms really are quite shabby...it would be difficult to understand the AA rating of his hotel.
The rooms were basic, if not bordering on minimalist. There's not many comforts to make you feel at home. There's not even digital/cable channels on the TV's: unbelievably (and thankfully) there are still 5 analogue stations being broadcast (I know, we were surprised too!).
That being said, waking up and coming down in the morning to a nice breakfast in a lovely restaurant really starts the day off well.
I'm 50/50 both love and hate the Inn. Which is a shame because it's a good venue with dedicated staff who work really hard. Maybe this is the time to push some of the profits back into the place and bring it back to its (undoubted) former glory?

Room Tip: Overlook the lake, lovely on a spring morning.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Your review is very helpful to us, and we will take note of the points you have made following your visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Clean rooms, always a bonus when you're away from home for work. Friendly staff and food to die for. breakfast - continental with the choice of a cooked breakfast for an addition cost. I will be staying again when working in the area.

Room Tip: Although the name has 'LAKE' it doesnt belong to the hotel owners. its over grown and not ea...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mouseg
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Your kind recommendation means a lot to us here at The Inn on The Lake, Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, and we are so glad to hear that your visit was a positive one. We have replied to you personally about your review.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked this as it was the nearest hotel to Gate Street Barn (where our daughter was getting married). Firstly we have to say the central reservation team were so helpful when inquiring about rates and booking procedure for a wedding party stay. We arrived last Friday to find that they had allocated the bride to be a beautiful room to spend her last night before her wedding (and I apologise to the guests as my daughter after a few champagnes decided to do a rachael from friends and don her wedding dress and knock on doors shouting I DO)...all the rooms are spacious and clean and even had our regional news on the tv which was a nice touch. We dined in the restaurant downstairs which was delicious. Staff are very friendly and helpful so all in all our wedding party enjoyed the stay. If we are down that way we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Inn on The Lake, Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and we have replied to you personally asking for a little more information.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here one night as we were attending a wedding near by. We weren't able to check in before the wedding and were concerned that we wouldn't be able to get to our room that night. AT 11.30 pm we called and they were happy to wait up for us which we appreciated.
We got a nice room in the back overlooking the garden, it was very big for a B&B room, so were pleasantly surprised. We were surprised that all the room's windows were open but when we closed them a nasty smell was coming out of the bathroom...
Breakfast was nice, very good atmosphere and service was ok.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 15 which is a corner room at the back of the hotel - probably one of the brighter...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Many thanks for giving us your thoughts following your visit to The Inn on the Lake, Innkeeper's Lodge, Godalming. We really do appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The first thing we noticed was a nasty smell of sewerage when we entered the room. After leaving the window fully open for about an hour the smell went but we noticed it every time we entered the room. There was no phone in the room as detailed in the room literature. There was no shelf for toiletries in the shower so we had to use the floor!

We went down to the restaurant on the first evening intending to book a table only to see water coming through the ceiling with a bucket underneath it so decided to go else where.

The room itself was comfortable and the bedding and bathroom were clean However the main thing that let this hotel down was the attitude of the staff. when we booked in they were only interested in taking our money and did not offer any help with our cases or even show us to our room. The other point that concerned us was the fact that the outside door (supposedly a security door that needs a special fob to open) leading to the staircase for all the rooms was left unlocked and open until the early hours of the morning. when we voiced our concerns to a member of staff they did not seem to understand the need for security. and the member of staff we voiced said concerns too seemed to be more interested in complaining to the entire open lobby area about us complaining in a a very unsavory manner (our conversation was private)

All in all an average stay which could have been so much better with a little more care and attention to detail.

Room Tip: take an air freshener with you
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jo m
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

We are very sorry to hear that the visit you made to The Inn on The Lake was not as perfect as you would have liked. We want all our guests to be satisfied so we always welcome your feedback and we have replied to you personally about your review.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

The rooms are quite spacious, exceptionally clean, and contained a kettle with an abundance of tea/coffee etc. There was even an iron and ironing board which was extremely useful.
The restaurant can be busy in the evening, but it does have an "excellent menu".
Breakfast was more than satisfactory with a good variety of cooked breakfasts, along with standard continental breakfast choices including a selection of fruits.
The staff are extremely pleasant, polite and helpful and certainly delivered "service with a smile".
An enjoyable visit and we shall definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not overlook the terrace/garden as it can get noisy in the evening.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and we have replied to you personally asking for a little more information.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Let me start by saying that I like this hotel and restaurant. I have stayed twice previously and really enjoyed it.
Yesterday started well, great welcome from a guy that I assumed was the manager, booked in no problem. We stayed in the family room number 1- bit shabby but warm and welcoming. The kids loved it! We went down for a meal in the restaurant and despite our kids testing us to the full limit we quite enjoyed it. Staff were again great. Bed. Great.
"Breakfast is anytime from 7.30am" said the nice manager guy the day before. At 7.50am we ventured down. The door to the restaurant from the rooms was locked, so I knocked and we waited. 5 minutes later I knocked again. Nothing. I then did something WAY out of character I kicked the door so hard that half of Godalming probably heard. A very unhappy lady (!) came to unlock the door. "We are all in the kitchen making breakfast". No sorry, no smile, no nothing. I smiled at my wife and we went in. We sat down. No staff. We waited a little longer and the grumpy thing from earlier walked passed without so much of a smile or hello. We chose some nice warm croissants, no butter. My wife asked the grumpy thing "If we could have some butter please" but the grumpy thing was obviously engrossed in trying to battle for the most grumpy morning waitress ever she ignored us. EVEN, my 6 year old daughter said "Why is the lady with the white (?) hair tired?". The chef in the end managed to organise us some butter. Then we went for tea and coffee. No normal tea- just as I was about to ask the grumpy thing pre-empted my request by literally throwing the tea bags at me. I actually laughed out loud and said to another waitress- "I take it she didn't sleep too well?". Now for the real moan- we paid extra for eggs benedict and a full English. My wife's ham was cold, I mean proper cold. We didn't moan because not being food experts we weren't sure- maybe it should be cold? What was cold that even a man like me knows shouldn't be was my beans. I would say luke warm but no. Cold. I asked the nice non-grumpy waitress to heat them up- she obliged. She returned my beans piping hot. Then I looked at the sausage. It was white. I know, unless you are in Germany sausages shouldn't be white unless they are raw. This poor sausage had been "seared" resulting in it being uncooked. I literally had an uncooked sausage on my plate. What was going on? Then after trying my favourite veg, the mushrooms which were stone cold I'd had enough and left the lot.
What an odd place this hotel is. Fantastic in the evening and awful in the morning. A real Jekyl and Hyde. It's a shame, but until Mrs Grumpy is no longer employed I and family won't be going back.....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

We’re sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming . Thank you for raising this with us, we really value all guest feedback, and we are working closely with the staff to ensure that this doesn't happen again. It is our aim to give every guest the very best service we can, and we have replied to you personally.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
The Stag on the River
Premier Inn Godalming Hotel
The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn
#1 of 6 in Chiddingfold

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming? Share your experiences!