“Huge disappointment”

Ranked #15 of 17 Godalming B&B and Inns
Littleborough, United Kingdom
“Huge disappointment”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Recently stayed at this Inn whilst on business and couldn't have been more disappointed. On first impression, walking into the bar area, it looked very nice. Modern, stylish, inviting. But it was all down hill from there. On arriving in my room I found the toilet had been used (and not even flushed), the sink was dirty, covered in very obvious blue toothpaste stains, and there was no hand soap in sight. I went back downstairs to ask for soap and let them know how I found the room and was offered another room (well handled). My second room also had no hand soap, which was quickly rectified, and although the toilet and sink were cleaner than the last room, the overall standard of cleanliness was well below average. There were cob webs all over the place, dirty walls, dirty net curtains, dirty tea cups...it was never ending. I was pretty disgusted to be honest, which made my stay there quite uncomfortable. The only good thing about the room was the shower.

Breakfast was another massive disappointment. I am not a particularly fussy eater but honestly, only 50% of my meal was edible. Given the cooked breakfast cost extra, I was seriously unimpressed. I also noticed once again that everything was grubby, the glassware, the cutlery, the plates, all had a film of grease on them. The coffee was the only bit I enjoyed.

Based on the two rooms I experienced, this place needs some attention. Especially in the area of housekeeping! Felt very short changed and let down and have no intention of going back there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
We’re sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming. Thank you for raising this with us, we really value all guest feedback, and we are working closely with the staff to ensure that this doesn't happen again. It is our aim to give every guest the very best service we can, and we have replied to you personally.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Located on a roundabout, make sure you get a room at the back to avoid traffic noise. The room itself was small but well refurbished - nice old country style. The bathroom was good but big step up into the shower (no bath). Bed was small (4'6") which is unusual these days, and the room was very hot overnight (couldn't open the window due to the noise). Breakfast was good with a nice selection and the bar / restaurant was excellent for dinner. Reception is in the bar area which can be busy if you arrive in the evening. Lovely patio area outside if the weather is nice.

Room Tip: Take a room at the back to avoid noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your review, we do appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments following your recent visit to The Inn on the Lake, Innkeeper's Lodge, Godalming .
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

At first appearance this small boutique hotel is nicely presented and welcoming. with the reception in the bar check in was efficient and friendly and Sam helped me to my room with my bags which was very helpful. The room (14) was nicely decorated and well equipped (flat screen TV, nice ensuite, ironing board and plenty of tea and coffee provided etc, etc) My room overlooked the lake and restaurant terrace area which was both a plus (the view) and a negative (the noise from patrons). The bar & restaurant was directly below my room and the sound system meant that it was quite noisy. My stay was one night, mid week and a business trip which meant that I expected to get a good nights sleep - the music was turned off at midnight! then an hour or so later a lot of banging doors which I assume was either other guests or staff leaving. Once past first glance at the room decor there are a number of very annoying aspects that just meant that my stay was only average: The large patio windows (juliet balcony on 1st floor) overlooking the terrace were only dressed with thick curtains which meant a lack of privacy or lack of light if I drew the curtains! The shower enclosure door didn't close which meant that the bath mat was sopping wet when I stepped out. The bedside reading lights were wired up with the main light which meant it was BRIGHT, not ambient! two of the sockets in the room didn't work. I have to say that as an eatery the restaurant quality of food was excellent and I get the feeling that the rooms are an 'add on' - leaving me to conclude that the Inn on the Lake is all fur coat and no knickers! Not sure where other reviews feel this is good value, yes I only paid £95 for the night but value is relative to the quality of experience.

Room Tip: If you want quiet then ask for a room not overlooking the terrace.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review, It was good of you to take the time to leave your feedback following your visit to The Inn on the Lake, Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming .
England
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a bit of a find, we think, as it's great value for money - particularly in Surrey!! It's very convenient for Godalming and the whole place is stylish and comfortable. Our bedroom was well appointed (particularly nice bathroom) and we had a great bacon sarnie for breakfast!
Our only complaint was that the kitchen was below our room so it was rather noisy, with the windows open, until quite late - but it's a working hotel so we weren't too upset, especially at the price!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your review, we do appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments following your recent visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming .
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We overnighted in this hotel at the weekend.
Joined friends for a meal. The food was excellent, the bar had a great buzz about it and the service was good.
Breakfast was good although service was slow. The crockery was not incredibly clean, especially the milk jug on the breakfast bar.

Initially our room (Number 3 which was spacious) was very chilly as the windows are single glazed and it had a small wall mounted electric radiator. It did however eventually warm through. It could certainly do with a careful clean as there was old deep dust in many places.

The road noise, and that from departing guests made sleeping before midnight a problem. Secondary glazing would help alleviate this.

The wifi reception in the room although free ,was pretty poor ...almost unuseable.
Maybe the rooms in the newer extension are better ... I would not recommend room number 3 unless it's properly sorted.
We would however use the hotel again .. maybe just specify a better room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
The time you have taken to leave us a review following your visit to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming is appreciated, and we will use your comments to ensure that our standards do not fall.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I was checking in for a friend’s wedding about 11am and my room wasn’t ready which wasn’t a problem I just needed somewhere to get changed. After the wedding I arrived back to the hotel and I arrived to a dirty room that hadn’t been cleaned from the guests the night before!!! As a result I went downstairs to try and get a different room (not what you want to be doing at 1am) and the door to the bar area, check in and rest of the hotel was locked – thank god there wasn’t a fire! There was no number of a night porter or manager whom I could call so I was forced to sleep in a filthy bed from the couple the night before!

When I confronted the general manager the following morning he did not even offer an apology. He was unable to offer an explanation, a refund or an apology and under my protest he further refused to provide me with the area managers details. Obviously all I had to do was go online and look for myself when I got home. Totally bizarre and quite shocking behaviour.

Under this man’s management Inn on the Lake should be avoided at all costs. He is clearly in the wrong industry and cannot lead, manage or control this hotel.

Thankfully after going to the area manager I was provided with a full refund immediately.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
We were sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, and we really appreciate the feedback you have given us. Innkeeper's Lodge, Godalming.

Travellers are raving about these Godalming hotels

Wiltshire
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have stayed at stayed at the Inn 8 times over the past 2 years and have always found it a very pleasant experience. I think for Surrey it is excellent value for money and it is also possible to get very good deals. The rooms are always clean , comfy and good value. It can be a little noisy in the summer months due the outside beer garden, but I think you must make allowances for this. The restaurant is excellent with good service and good food. The breakfast whether you opt for the included continental which again is excellent value or you treat yourself to a cooked breakfast again is excellent. I will be continue to use this Inn when visiting Surrey to see my family and friends and also for various celebrations.. I must add the staff have always been very pleasant and extremely helpful, and have always dealt with any minor queries efficiently and pleasantly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
We are so pleased to hear that you find The Inn On The Lake a good place to stay, and we really appreciate you leaving positive feedback on Trip Advisor. We have replied to you personally as it is our aim to give every customer the very best experience possible.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
Premier Inn Guildford North (A3) Hotel
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#4 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Godalming? Share your experiences!