“Can we turn back time and go back to the day!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Godalming
The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Woking, United Kingdom
“Can we turn back time and go back to the day!”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My (new) husband and I held our wedding reception at the pub a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is that from the moment we arrived until the moment we left the next day it was amazing. I cannot commpliment and praise both Mark's, Grace, Kim and all the staff. We had worked together on the details regarding the day for quite a while but nothing prepared me for how prefect The Stag on the River made our special day. From the beautiful location to the amazing and plentiful food to the gorgeous rooms and wonderful staff - I cannot praise them enough. This is a local country pub who care so much about the service and facilities they offer. Attention to details is amazing and the way we have been looked after unbelievable. Two weeks on we are still getting bombarded with comments from our friends 'it was the best wedding ever' and 'how can we top that' and we are at the age where we go to alot of weddings. I know many friends will be returning for sunday lunches and cozy nights from time to time as the levels of service and the quality of food was so high. The sharing starters went down so well and the main course was beautiful. Thank you, thank you, thank you - oh and see you very soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
kent uk
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Restaurant review (1)

Visited the Stag on the River for a family reunion with old friends (party of 11). We all arrived a little late and Im sure we didnt sit down until after the time we had booked but were not made to feel hurried in any way. The menu was excellent - too many nice dishes to choose from - and the prices about right. The one dish (a fruit crumble) which did disappoint was generously exchanged for free tea and coffee all round later in the afternoon. The restaurant has a lovely ambience and a beautiful position which must be glorious in the Summer months

B & B review (2)

Pros

Most of our party returned home at the end of the afternoon but my husband and I had booked a room to save us driving home that night. We had booked the family room (the only room still available) and it was wonderfully spacious. Everything seems very new so I guess the room has not long been refurbished. Very clean with a huge comfy bed with goose down duvet and crisp covers, plenty of heat and a modern bathroom with most excellent shower. The decor was good and the best I can describe it would be traditional hunting lodge meets modern hotel.

After a drink in the bar we retired to bed early and the noise from downstairs at that point was quite loud. No surprise and not a problem as this is a pub and to be expected -but when everyone had gone home all was very quiet until morning. No traffic noise from the very quiet lane on which the pub is situated. Had a very good night's sleep.

A complimentary bottle of beer was in our room on arrival but there was no bottle opener provided :o(

There was a complete lack of information in the room, including Fire instructions (are these things not compulsory?).

The rather interesting coffee/tea machine which looked so hopeful actually appeared to be broken. Either that or we NEEDED INSTRUCTIONS which were lacking. So, no early morning tea for me

Breakfast - was really lovely - served in a corner of the restaurant overlooking the garden and river. Self service selection - simple but effective. As it was a Sunday we were able to pay £5 for a cooked breakfast which we did and that was delicious. There was no fruit of any kind (nearest thing was a yoghurt). Not a problem for us but I know some people prefer to start the day with something healthy.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful without being intrustive.

All in all we had a super night away and would most definitely return given the chance.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Stayed at this beautiful Inn with my husband last Saturday and couldnt fault it. First of all - the photos actually do Not do it justice!! When we drove in we were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the location was. We were greeted by Kim the deputy manageress who looked after us for the duration of our stay - also another really sweet young lady - (sorry cannot recall her name but her boyfriend is a tennis coach!) We were signed in straight away and showed up to our room - BROOKE and then given an explanation of the facilities available. A real coffee machine, organic toiletries and robes came as standard. We then enjoyed a fantastic meal in the restaurant , where we were able to request our own requirements . Two beautiful steaks ,side salad and fries cooked to perfection, toffee pudding to die for , a cheese board and a bottle of Merlot. The following morning we decided to skip breakfast as we were engrossed in the Tennis ( Australian open). However when we checked out at 11 am - Kim very kindly offered us a cooked breakfast and they had left out the continental option for us aswell!!! We took up the offer - had a beautiful cooked breakfast with a huge cappuccino before we left at Mid-day. Can I just add - that my husband and I do travel alot and are extremely fussy about where we stay ,eat etc - I can honestly say the service ,food,room,staff etc at The Stag On The River was FAULTLESS and will absolutely stay here again especially as I now know they have a family room - next time I will take my children . Finally the Bill came in with the Meal, cooked breakfast,coffee and the room for both of us at UNDER £130!!!!! Absolute amazing Value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Elstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I went there for dinner with some girlfriends the other night, a gloomy and wet January evening. The decor is great, soft greys, beautiful antlers arranged over the bar area, nice comfy dining chairs and warming fires. I had a beef burger with French fries and side salad. The burger was thick, moist and tasted of beef! The portion of French fries was huge and they were really tasty. My friends had pork and lamb and judging by what was left on the plate - i.e. nothing! - I believe they enjoyed their main course very much. The best bit for me was my pudding. A deliciously light lemon tart with lime cream. The pastry was crumbly and light, the lemon curd was deliciously lemony and the lime cream a pleasant surprise. We had house wine by the glass. The bill came to £26 a head for a main, pudding and wine. Reasonable for the quality of the food eaten. I'd like to go back in the daylight to appreciate the setting and get to see the river!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Surrey
Reviewed 14 December 2010

My husband & I pop in here after work when we can as we have business close by. We are always greeted with a smile and the service is second to none. The food is top notch! I love the feeling you get when you walk in, really cosy!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Have been here before and wanted to again after the refurb. We were not disappointed. Excellent decor, very attentive staff, great food. If you are in the area, drop in and you won't be disappointed

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We've been to this place a couple of times on different days. We went yesterday for our sunday lunch and were cery pleasantly surprised. We both had a roast dinner which was piping hot on hot plates. The beef was very tasty and there was plenty of it and the roast potatos and vegatables were all cooked very well. I had a local real ale that was in good condition and my wife had a glass of wine from there large selection. I would definitely recommend this pub for beer and sunday lunch.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,842 reviews
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!