“Nice Saturday lunch”

The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Reviewed 4 March 2013

This was a birthday treat for me from some friends and we had a very nice, unhurried lunch. Food was good although I am a non-fish eater and the menu did have rather a lot of fish dishes so my choice was limited. Nonetheless I enjoyed a good rump steak with excellent chips and veg. House wine was enjoyable.

I do wonder about portion sizes though - other diners had burger and pasta dishes which were absolutely enormous. Now I know we don't have to eat it all, but why serve such mountains of food? No way could we even consider dessert.

Well, thats just a general observation. I will definitely visit this pub again. It was a cold day when we went but I have no doubt that in summer its lovely to sit outside on the riverbank.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We met with friends for lunch. All of us were delighted with our choice of venue. We can only praise the restaurant service, menu selection and quality of food. We could find nothing to fault. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Can't help - we just had lunch.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Had lunch in here yesterday, after having a fantastic Sunday lunch previously at one of its sister pubs (The Queens Head - reviewed), and was disappointed with the quality of the food as a whole.
The place is lovely, easy to find from the A3, set in a really pretty location and very tastefully done.
The service was excellent and, as there were no tables when we arrived, we were looked after well by the friendly hostess (manager?) being given menus and a seat in the bar area to wait.
The menu, and specials board is very comprehensive and well thought out, and its presentation is creative. I chose the Stilton and cheddar ploughmans and my friend had a posh sandwich.
What arrived was exceptionally impressive in respect of the ploughmans, served on an enormous solid wood chopping board but when it was in front of me, it was actually pretty poor in quality. I got two lumps of cheese, solid butter, four bits of bread (a bit dry) and a pile of soggy salad leaves. There was a bowl of pickle and one of piccalilli, but basically I got bread and cheese. I've had far better ploughmans, usually with a picked onion, wedges of tomato and apple and even celery.
I should have gone for the cheese and biscuits.
Disappointed, unfortunately. But as other reviews are good, I will give it another go and try a Sunday roast.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I had my wedding held at the Stag in December 2012. It was the most amazing day, all the staff ( especially Mark Robson ) went above and beyond to make it the perfect day. All our guests said how great the food, decor, quirky bedrooms and staff were and loved the location for a wedding venue.

We went to the pub on several occasions for lunch and dinner before our big day and were never disappointed.

If you love quirky, cosy pubs with great wine, ales and fantastic food then this is the place for you!

Looking forward to going back for another Sunday lunch :-)

Room Tip: This doesn't have a swimming pool but I didn't want to rate the Stag as terrible ( far from...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This is almost more a "restaurant with rooms", as the bar area of the pub is small, the restaurant large and the rooms are gorgeous little boltholes hidden away from the noise and atmosphere downstairs. Wonderful location only a minute or two from the A3 (but you'd never know it), over an ancient old bridge and located picturesquely beside the river, with a lovely outside terrace. Faultless, friendly and professional service from the second we arrived and really smart contemporary interior decoration. Our room, tucked away at the end of the corridor, was small but perfectly formed. Really wouldn't need anything more for a night or two away in the countryside. The only thing that let The Stag down for us was the food - whilst the wine list is comprehensive and well-priced and the cooked breakfast was delicious, the evening menu wasn't varied enough (very sweet, sticky puddings, no cheese, etc) and the quality of our steak meat was not good (and served with the kind of criss-cross searing not normally seen outside of an Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse!). This wasn't enough to detract from a gorgeous little gem in the countryside, however - I'd definitely recommend it but I might have been a little disappointed if I'd only gone for supper rather than also staying there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I'm a regular here and can highly recommend it,.... with a few caveats. It had a makeover a few years ago which took it up a notch will lovely outdoor seating with an outdoor oredring point which is a great addition. I would say the munu choices are fair / good depending on the specials on offer. The food quality is generally very high and the service is friendly and usually very attentive. But there in lies my only issue which is they just don't have enough staff to cope at peak times at which point the service quality plummets. I have been there several times on a Sunday lunchtime and had to wait an unacceptable time for the food to arrive (sometimes up to an hour). To be fair though, the head chef is obviously on his game with limited resources as the food quality always seems to remain consistent.Also at peak times it is extremely noisy, often unbearable so if you are looking forward to a cosy chat in a small group on a weekend lunchtime you are going to be dissapointed (not much they can do about that to be fair)

I have spoken with the manager about the staff numbers on a few occasions but the problem does not appear to be fixed as yet. So yes if you are in the area give this place a try but I recommend you leave it till late afternoon to get the best experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank traveluxo
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I ate lunch here today and loved every minute of it. The food was out of this world (haddock and chips) and the service was fantastic. Lovely rustic feel to the place. I look forward to going there again soon.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sarah B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Premier Inn Godalming Hotel
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Guildford
Holiday Inn Guildford
#5 of 11 in Guildford

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!