“Lovely Pub! Great rooms and wonderful food.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Stag on the River

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Godalming
The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
London England
“Lovely Pub! Great rooms and wonderful food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

The Stag is a lovely pub, great atmosphere and good food. It’s also set in a really great location by the river with a decked garden to enjoy the sun. We were luckily enough to hold our wedding reception there in May and chose the venue after seeing lots of others because of the relaxed warm welcome and great menu on offer. We have had numerous meals and drinks there on the run up to our big day and always found the food to be consistently good and the staff very friendly. As Godalming locals we hadn’t stayed before but we hired the pub and its rooms for our day and stayed overnight, we were really pleased with our room (Puttenham). All our overnight guests commented on the high standard of the rooms; immaculate, comfortable and well equipped. We really enjoyed the little touches like fresh milk for a cup of tea and everyone enjoyed the amazing breakfast – there was something for everyone.
As for our day, it was wonderful. The food was fantastic and the staff attentive, going above and beyond to make our day as special as possible.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Hailsham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night for our 5th wedding anniversary, and we were - I am sad to say - a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, overall it's a beautiful place, lovely gardens, really well appointed room with a very comfy bed. We were invited to come down to dinner at anytime even though the restaurant was busy, which was really welcome. But the 'little things' let this place down, and when we only get one or two weekends away from our children a year, it's such a shame. OK, so the 'not-so-great' bits... the restaurant staff were not working in harmony at all, we witnessed several discussions between higher and lower staff about what needed to be done. After asking twice, our drinks arrived after our starter. My starter was supposed to be smoked salmon with capers, which arrived swimming in olive oil (literally) with a piece of pre-sliced packet white bread across the top. No capers. It was replaced, but still swimming in oil. The rest of the meal was OK, my hubby's fish really greasy though. A massive handful of rocket accompanied all starters and main courses, obviously the easy option for them.
We were only given one bath towel and robe in our room, which we didn't realise until we were both in need of a towel! Had to share. No phone in the room to ask for anymore either. When we went down for breakfast the next morning, there they were outside our door - a tad late by then.
Breakfast was nice, but the buffet ran out very quickly as other guests arrived, and they had to ask a few times for more orange juice etc. Only one member of staff serving. After breaky we wanted to check out, but there was no one on reception. We had to ask the breakfast waitress to find someone, which she duly forgot about. 20 minutes later her manager finally helped us check out.
We just felt that this place had so much potential if they just sorted out the finer details. Thankfully, our afternoon tea at 'Tea on the Terrace' in House of Fraser, Guildford made up for an awful lot!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Perth, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Great pub with rooms. The food is excellent and menu though limited is very good. Attentive and friendly staff. The rooms are well presented and very comfortable. All you want and need! Breakfast was excellent. So, worth a detour.

Room Tip: Back of the pub would be quieter
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

I went to The Stag with my family for a Sunday lunch and it was fantastic. The staff are very welcoming and the food quality is brilliant. The decor is lovely and it is not to big inside, thus making it more cozy. The hygiene in the bathrooms is impeccable. Will definitely go back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed at The Stag on the River for a weekend in March. My boyfriend and I really needed to escape the hectic London lifestyle and the stag was exactly what we had hoped for.

We received a really warm welcome from Sam who is the lovely manager of The Stag. Both Sam and all the staff we're very friendly and informative, even recommending a local walk for us to go on the next day.

Our room was extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated. It had a lovely country cosy feel about it.

We went for dinner on one of the evenings which was very pleasant. The service was fantastic and the food was very impressive and good value for money. After dinner we sat beside the log fire with our glasses of wine chatting about this and that. The perfect way to end a lovely day.

This is a great weekend getaway, a real gem. We will definitely be returning for a weekend over the summer. Looking forward to it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny O
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was recommended Godalming as a quaint retreat for our wedding anniversary which was not too far from home. So after deciding this was the location did some research on where to stay and it paid off!!!

My husband and I (in our mid 30’s) arrived at the Stag on the 4/4/13 – our 5th Wedding Anniversary, first impressions were impressive from the outside, which was bitterly cold with snow! So when we walked into the inn the open log fire was a welcome sight! We booked into the family room and WOW I am so pleased we did, the sight of the huge bed lures you to jump straight in yet the tasteful decor just finished the room off a treat..... The room was large and really comfortable with a lovely sofa bed should you want to stay with children (I would definitely recommend an adult only retreat!!) The room also had a nice size modern en-suite.

We were initially intending to eat in Godalming however after going into the bar for drinks at 5pm, the snow falling, the welcome attitudes of the hospitable staff, the open fire and flowing drinks really did tempt us to stay! That was before even seeing the delights of the menu!!
There are varied comments on Trip Advisor about the food but we were really impressed, a small menu saved too many choices however a specials board is also provided. We both ate of the main menu, my husband having the burger and fries which he was very impressed with and I had chicken wrapped in parma ham and chorizo, stuffed with ricotta cheese on a bed of risotto. Yum! Both dishes were beautifully served. We both had deserts which were mouth watering, hot fudge brownie with coconut ice cream and pecan and toffee tart with clotted cream! The waitresses were really lovely and ensured our every need was seen too. We sat and drank into the night laughing with the staff on shift.

I couldn’t wait to jump into the massive bed, it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and had to drag myself out in the morning!!!

There were problems with the boiler earlier in the evening which did mean that the radiators in the Inn did stop working for a few hours, I am generally a cold person so did hog the fire all evening however our room did feel cold but the Inn provide guest robes which I wore and the bed was very welcoming to snuggle under the sheets!! The staff on shift were extremely apologetic and called someone out to fix it and did manage to get it working for a few hours but it did stop again in the night and being an old building with original windows it did get cold again quickly. It was totally bad luck and could have happened to anyone at anytime and just was one of those things, it just didn’t help that the mad April weather was so bitterly cold as it wouldn’t have been an issue on a summers day! As I say, the staff did everything possible to rectify the problem and you could see they were genuinely embarrassed and sorry for the inconvenience.

A superb continental breakfast is served mid week between 7-9 with a great variety of food, cereals, yoghurt and granola, pastry’s, cheese, salmon, grapes, eggs, toast, fruit etc with a selection of fresh juices and tea or coffee.....

I cannot fault the Stag on the River in the slightest, the decor is tasteful throughout and in good condition, it was spotlessly clean everywhere we went. I looked at other accommodations in Brighton for the same cost (Hotel Pelirocco and The Artists Impression)..... Well I would have been so disappointed if I had paid half of what the Stag charge!

The Inn clearly has a good reputation locally and I can see why, I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a little break away and we have promised to return one day, preferably
in the summer so we can sit on the terrace by the river!

The nearby villages are beautiful with some really quaint shops too.... Score out of 10..... 100!!!

Room Tip: The family room any day!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa M
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

Just returned from a three night stay here. Despite the bleak weather, a few hours spent by this country inn's fireside soon warmed the fingers and the tootsies ( although a nice merlot may also have helped us along )

From the moment you enter, the smell and sight of the log fire draws you into the place.
A gorgeous entrance, warmly lit with stone flooring and an absolute WOW factor bar makes you want to stay there forever. ( well, almost )

Our room was divine. Original wonky floor, beautiful decor, new bathroom, great size room and bed was all complimented by a bottle of the inn's Tea beer in the room on arrival and a large selection on teas. Fresh milk and bottled water were free to access in a room in the corridor ( GREAT added touch! )

The breakfast during the week is continental with fantastic breads and a yoghurt and granola dish that my husband is still raving about!!! At weekends, there is both continental as well as hot brekkie offered. Be warned - the hot breakfasts are HUGE!! ( note to the Stag chef - I dont think they have to be so big. When I had a starter at night in the restaurant I thought it was a tad too small a portion. Id have liked a smaller portion brekkie and more than one piece of the goats cheese ravioli ) But each to their own, and the food on the whole was fantastic, served by very warm, genuine and happy staff!!!!!

We were helped along in our pursuit of looking around the area by the very lovely Rachel. Rachel is fairly new to the Stag and seems to be a great new addition there as she could not do enough for us. Right down to locating my de-caf tea, through to sharing her insight of surrounding areas - she is a gem, and certainly in the right business as her people skills and great nature shone through.

So, all in all - a fabulous three nights spent here with very welcoming staff in a great little country inn.
We'll definately be back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank pearly71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!