“Very Relaxing.”

The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Reviewed 14 December 2010

My husband & I pop in here after work when we can as we have business close by. We are always greeted with a smile and the service is second to none. The food is top notch! I love the feeling you get when you walk in, really cosy!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2010

Have been here before and wanted to again after the refurb. We were not disappointed. Excellent decor, very attentive staff, great food. If you are in the area, drop in and you won't be disappointed

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We've been to this place a couple of times on different days. We went yesterday for our sunday lunch and were cery pleasantly surprised. We both had a roast dinner which was piping hot on hot plates. The beef was very tasty and there was plenty of it and the roast potatos and vegatables were all cooked very well. I had a local real ale that was in good condition and my wife had a glass of wine from there large selection. I would definitely recommend this pub for beer and sunday lunch.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We had previously visited this restaurant and had a great family lunch. However we returned for a second time for a family lunch. with my daughter and 92 year old father. It was hot day and the restaurant was very busy, however we waited for nearly an hour for 2 roast dinners and ham egg and chips. Nobody kept us informed on the progress of our meals and staff appeared to be offended when we asked as having booked and arriving at 1.00pm it was nearly 2.00pm before the food arrived with my father getting rather agitated. We were finally served with the most disappointing roast beef dinner. Previously we had been asked how we wanted the beef served however on this visit it was well done at times burnt and very tough. Previously the ham egg and chips had been served with a stack of real large potato chips but this time they were just reconstituted potato All staff had shirts with 'The Duke of Cambridge ' on their backs, so maybe we should have gone there instead?

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2009

As a place to eat and drink, this is a nice little find with good food and very friendly service. They have just changed their menu and the Moroccon Lamb Burger with fries is yum....as is the Tempura Prawns and the Banoffee Pie ! It is a little expensive for a pub lunch but the food is more than simple pub fare. The menu is imaginative with fresh ingredients, well cooked and presented. I have visited three times during the week at lunchtime, when it has not been packed out but does have enough atmosphere and it has always been a very relaxed experience with attentive friendly service from all of the staff. I was a little reluctant to write this review as I wanted to keep my find to myself but I feel that good service, food and drink deserves a mention !!
I have to say I have never used the B & B facilities but I should imagine, if the same level of service is adopted, an enjoyable stay should be had !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Firstly just to point out we only had food and drinks here and did not stay in the B&B (I didn't know it even had rooms!)

Went for lunch on a thurs, endulged in the 2 course for £12.50 which was a good deal considering the food was great, and appeared fresh.
The barman/waiter was on the ball and earned a good tip, though it was quiet so not so hard for him.

Will visit again for sure, hopefully if we get a summer this year we can try the garden next to the river

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Premier Inn Godalming Hotel
Asperion
Asperion
#1 of 11 in Guildford
Frensham Pond Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!