“Relaxing little break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Godalming
The Stag on the River
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
kent uk
“Relaxing little break”
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Restaurant review (1)

Visited the Stag on the River for a family reunion with old friends (party of 11). We all arrived a little late and Im sure we didnt sit down until after the time we had booked but were not made to feel hurried in any way. The menu was excellent - too many nice dishes to choose from - and the prices about right. The one dish (a fruit crumble) which did disappoint was generously exchanged for free tea and coffee all round later in the afternoon. The restaurant has a lovely ambience and a beautiful position which must be glorious in the Summer months

B & B review (2)

Pros

Most of our party returned home at the end of the afternoon but my husband and I had booked a room to save us driving home that night. We had booked the family room (the only room still available) and it was wonderfully spacious. Everything seems very new so I guess the room has not long been refurbished. Very clean with a huge comfy bed with goose down duvet and crisp covers, plenty of heat and a modern bathroom with most excellent shower. The decor was good and the best I can describe it would be traditional hunting lodge meets modern hotel.

After a drink in the bar we retired to bed early and the noise from downstairs at that point was quite loud. No surprise and not a problem as this is a pub and to be expected -but when everyone had gone home all was very quiet until morning. No traffic noise from the very quiet lane on which the pub is situated. Had a very good night's sleep.

A complimentary bottle of beer was in our room on arrival but there was no bottle opener provided :o(

There was a complete lack of information in the room, including Fire instructions (are these things not compulsory?).

The rather interesting coffee/tea machine which looked so hopeful actually appeared to be broken. Either that or we NEEDED INSTRUCTIONS which were lacking. So, no early morning tea for me

Breakfast - was really lovely - served in a corner of the restaurant overlooking the garden and river. Self service selection - simple but effective. As it was a Sunday we were able to pay £5 for a cooked breakfast which we did and that was delicious. There was no fruit of any kind (nearest thing was a yoghurt). Not a problem for us but I know some people prefer to start the day with something healthy.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful without being intrustive.

All in all we had a super night away and would most definitely return given the chance.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Stayed at this beautiful Inn with my husband last Saturday and couldnt fault it. First of all - the photos actually do Not do it justice!! When we drove in we were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the location was. We were greeted by Kim the deputy manageress who looked after us for the duration of our stay - also another really sweet young lady - (sorry cannot recall her name but her boyfriend is a tennis coach!) We were signed in straight away and showed up to our room - BROOKE and then given an explanation of the facilities available. A real coffee machine, organic toiletries and robes came as standard. We then enjoyed a fantastic meal in the restaurant , where we were able to request our own requirements . Two beautiful steaks ,side salad and fries cooked to perfection, toffee pudding to die for , a cheese board and a bottle of Merlot. The following morning we decided to skip breakfast as we were engrossed in the Tennis ( Australian open). However when we checked out at 11 am - Kim very kindly offered us a cooked breakfast and they had left out the continental option for us aswell!!! We took up the offer - had a beautiful cooked breakfast with a huge cappuccino before we left at Mid-day. Can I just add - that my husband and I do travel alot and are extremely fussy about where we stay ,eat etc - I can honestly say the service ,food,room,staff etc at The Stag On The River was FAULTLESS and will absolutely stay here again especially as I now know they have a family room - next time I will take my children . Finally the Bill came in with the Meal, cooked breakfast,coffee and the room for both of us at UNDER £130!!!!! Absolute amazing Value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Elstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I went there for dinner with some girlfriends the other night, a gloomy and wet January evening. The decor is great, soft greys, beautiful antlers arranged over the bar area, nice comfy dining chairs and warming fires. I had a beef burger with French fries and side salad. The burger was thick, moist and tasted of beef! The portion of French fries was huge and they were really tasty. My friends had pork and lamb and judging by what was left on the plate - i.e. nothing! - I believe they enjoyed their main course very much. The best bit for me was my pudding. A deliciously light lemon tart with lime cream. The pastry was crumbly and light, the lemon curd was deliciously lemony and the lime cream a pleasant surprise. We had house wine by the glass. The bill came to £26 a head for a main, pudding and wine. Reasonable for the quality of the food eaten. I'd like to go back in the daylight to appreciate the setting and get to see the river!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Surrey
Reviewed 14 December 2010

My husband & I pop in here after work when we can as we have business close by. We are always greeted with a smile and the service is second to none. The food is top notch! I love the feeling you get when you walk in, really cosy!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Have been here before and wanted to again after the refurb. We were not disappointed. Excellent decor, very attentive staff, great food. If you are in the area, drop in and you won't be disappointed

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We've been to this place a couple of times on different days. We went yesterday for our sunday lunch and were cery pleasantly surprised. We both had a roast dinner which was piping hot on hot plates. The beef was very tasty and there was plenty of it and the roast potatos and vegatables were all cooked very well. I had a local real ale that was in good condition and my wife had a glass of wine from there large selection. I would definitely recommend this pub for beer and sunday lunch.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Rural Essex UK
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We had previously visited this restaurant and had a great family lunch. However we returned for a second time for a family lunch. with my daughter and 92 year old father. It was hot day and the restaurant was very busy, however we waited for nearly an hour for 2 roast dinners and ham egg and chips. Nobody kept us informed on the progress of our meals and staff appeared to be offended when we asked as having booked and arriving at 1.00pm it was nearly 2.00pm before the food arrived with my father getting rather agitated. We were finally served with the most disappointing roast beef dinner. Previously we had been asked how we wanted the beef served however on this visit it was well done at times burnt and very tough. Previously the ham egg and chips had been served with a stack of real large potato chips but this time they were just reconstituted potato All staff had shirts with 'The Duke of Cambridge ' on their backs, so maybe we should have gone there instead?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#6 of 11 in Guildford
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel

Been to The Stag on the River? Share your experiences!