“Once again, a very pleasant visit”

Hector's on the Wey
Ranked #6 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Godalming
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We've visited Hector's several times and we are always delighted. We'll be returning. The hosts are a 'unique couple of guys' - almost a floor show at times - and the food and drink is good, as is the setting. Don't be put off by the recent negative review due, it would seem, by the cafe's disinclination to have unruly children running wild, having fallen foul of the boat guys just before apparently; we are personally happy that there are still some standards alive!

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

The two Peter's made me fill welcome. The food was so good and value for money. I will be making Hector's one of my regular places to eat when out and about. And I will tell all my friends to go there

1  Thank scwhector35
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was there today with my children and nieces and we had to leave and demand our money back.

It's a lovely little place and I'm sure the food is good but we found the staff there particularly unfriendly. After grudgingly taking my order a tall man, I presume Hector, started shouting at my daughter, who had just taken a sweet from a little basket next to the till, thinking it was free (she lives abroad and is accustomed to free sweets in shops and restaurants). The sweet was returned but the hostility continued when Hector said "you don't have to eat here", or something similar. At this point he gave us our money back and we left.

Perhaps Hector was having a bad day and I understand the misunderstanding over the sweet, or maybe, just maybe, he should make a little more effort.

I won't go back there and I will tell at least 10 people of my negative experience.

6  Thank Oliseeley
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We have returned to Hector's again and again for good simple food. We found it on when we were hiring a boat and have gone back for the food alone.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This bistro / tea room is just around the corner from where I now live and the owner is a great laugh.

The service is tounge-in-cheek and there is always some banter whether you are known to the staff or not and that's part of what makes this place great! Both of "the Peter's" are more than happy to chat with everyone and are very friendly, unlike the comments from "Beth w" at the bottom of the reviews list.

If you're passing by they are well worth dropping into and they can also prepare food if you're hiring one of the boats from the boathouse as well as catering for private events etc...