“Variable beer condition” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 75 Restaurants in Godalming
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
“Variable beer condition”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Visited this week after not doing so for several weeks, previously beer was in excellent condition but this time was flat wiyh little or no sign of any life in it
We gave up after trying 3 different beers each all of which were poor.

Godalming, United Kingdom
“A proper pub serving a fantastic selection of beers and ciders, and proper pub grub.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

If you want to visit a proper old pub, low ceilings and beams, and a pub with the largest selection of beers and ciders, then The Star is the place for you. Excellent quality pub grub too, brilliant burgers, my favourite lunch snack is a 5 fish finger baguette with tartare sauce and a dressed salad. Their chips are simply the best, piping hot, crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. A nice little garden out the back to sit in the sun with a pint. Best pub in Godalming.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review. My staff and I make a substantial effort to make everyone's visit as enjoyable as we can to our very small cosy and Olde worlde pub, maybe an Oasis in the Corporate jungle. Our efforts have got us into the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, and have won us several Best Cider Pub nominations. We hope that by offering an extensive selection of Real Ales and Ciders right through the year we will keep your taste buds stimulated !
Godalming, United Kingdom
“The Star Pub in Godalming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you like real ale pubs, this is the place to go in Godalming. Old world style with a list of guest beers and good ciders. Regular quiz evening on a Sunday. Small garden out the back. Our son-in-law from Australia really rates it! Only one drawback for us: garden tends to be dominated by smokers!

• Visited April 2014
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your review. You might be surprised to know that we have many Customers from all around the World, who come to sleepy old Godalming to sample from the huge variety of Real Ales and Scrumpy Ciders that we have to offer all year round. The main line trains that run between London and Portsmouth make it easy to get to Godalming and back. You might like to know that we have just been voted The CAMRA Surrey and Sussex Regional Cider Pub of the Year 2014, by recommendation, an.d Second year running
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Poor service, over priced beer, staffed by muppets”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

One of the best pubs in Godalming, but my early evening visit was ruined by a clueless pair who were more interested in talking to their friends than serving customers. Most expensive pint in town @ £5.05 and the boy behind the bar tried to short change me out of a score. Argued that I'd given him a £10, even though I had scanned the first 4 digits of the note before handing over and told him what they there. Then went off for 10 mins to check CCTV before handing me back my correct change. No apology, just said "all look the same to me". Well it doesn't to me muppet boy. Sort it out Star management!

2 Thank LloydyLambrettas
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hi Lloydlambrettas
Thank you for your review.
Whilst you obviously did not enjoy your visit, my staff are not muppets.
I do have some staff that are slower than others,but your gripe about correct change may have clouded your judgement.
You will recall that you memorized the serial number on your note and unfortunately we're not able to give the right numbers to the staff member. We do from time to time get individuals trying to take advantage of our good will and therefore check the veracity of any claim, rather than just hand any money over willy nilly.
In your case a check was made, an error found and the correct change returned.
With reference to our prices. Sadly the costs relating to our business are exorbitant and our prices reflect the best possible return to us without going bust. We are not a Wetherspoon with their purchasing power. Thank you
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Character Building / Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Lovely building and a character street, although the food was found to be very average.
The however varies greatly from good to just about undrinkable with flat lifeless ales being almost its trademark and these appear to continue to be served even after customers have complained about the quality. That said the ciders were good with a reasonable range and all in far better condition than the ales fortunately.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CharlesT924
Khart54, Owner at The Star, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello CharlesT924. As we have been put onto Trip Advisor by a customer who likes our offer we are obviously now open to both good and bad reviews which are purely subjective to the individuals making them. So with reference to your comment about very average food, I will just comment that we offer a small menu of typical home cooked pub food, to order. We do not seek to be a Gastro pub if that was what you were looking for, and do not attempt to compete with the cheap outlets in town. Our prices are relevant to our overheads, and as the menus are available to view without the need to place an order, one can always progress to another venue should our selection not suit your individual taste. I am pleased to say that we have a substantial number of return customers week in and week out who like what we have to offer. With reference to your comment about Flat Lifeless Ales. You have me guessing on this one, as all your Godalming reviews were posted on the same day. I will therefore hazard a guess that you may have visited on a day recently when our Cellar cooler broke down ! My general comment on this is several fold.
Firstly, as we sell so many different and varied Ales my staff are obliged to offer Tasters, so that you the Customer do not buy a product that doesn't suit your palate, this also highlights the fact, that unlike Wetherspoon for example we do not sell unnecessarily cold Ale with no flavour. If you do not like your taster you are not obliged to buy.
Secondly, if you came on a breakdown day some of our regulars did comment on the temperatures but still wanted to drink our Ale because despite the problem our product was still better than elsewhere. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the repair company when it comes to fixing the problem and are still obliged to trade. Again the choice is the customer's as to whether they wish to partake in one product rather than another. If there is a reasonable problem my staff are obliged to resolve that problem in a swift and suitable manner.
Thirdly, if you came on a normal day to drink Ale you should have been offered a taster of any of the Ales that you proposed to drink. You would then have been offered one of a potential range of 8 Ales, 4 from the handpump and 4 direct from the cellar. The 4 from the handpump are dispensed slightly livelier than those direct from the barrel. We do not sell fizzy beer. We do not use sparklers on our Ales as we sell them so quickly, and naturally. Many pubs use sparklers to liven up their Ales because they do not sell them quickly enough, or if you come from The Midlands and further North a sparkler is used to satisfy cultural differences.
Thirdly. Having traded at The Star for the last 23 years, at above average levels I am disappointed that your expectations were not achieved. I have great expectations of my staff and to that end would be obliged to know the date and time of your visit so that I can talk to the staff involved, to ascertain what, if anything, can be improved upon within our system.
It is obviously better to register a complaint/ dissatisfaction at the time.
Thank you.