“Romantic getaway”

Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I had a lovely stay in a Superior Double room. We enjoyed the hospitality of the pub restaurant, and had a very good value meal. The serving staff made us very welcome and I would definitely stay again. We booked through laterooms.com and paid £84.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kings Arms and Royal Hotel

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I read the other reviews of this hotel, and I must say I thought of cancelling, but I thought no give them benefit of doubt, which proved right. I booked online a deluxe room which I got, excellent size lots of character, clean and tidy, so what there wasn't a phone we all have mobiles, if you want something go and ask them downstairs and they are more than willing to oblige. When we arrived mid afternoon, there wasn't anybody on reception but again pop your head round the corner and the staff are behind the bar and were straight with us.

We stayed on a Saturday night it was very quiet, no issues with the bat or the street.
Parking was fine there were spaces around the back, ALSO VERY CLEAR SIGNS stating get a parking permit from reception to park here so we did, why somebody has been clamped is beyond explanation, common sense should prevail.

I would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 3 would be room of choice
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KPCT30
Reviewed 8 October 2011

What a fiasco! Tiny room with a ceiling so low that my husband couldn't stand upright. 3 flights of stairs to get there - no elevator. No wifi, no working cable TV, no telephone, no parking, breakfast a joke, staff unhelpful and uncaring, stained carpets, dirty walls, towels the size of postage-stamps AND watch out for the fine print if you book online. We wanted to change our booking from 5 to 3 nights for all the above reasons, but apparently they had taken full payment upon booking and refused to refund the three nights after we left.

Apparently the locals aren't impressed either since we returned from an evening out at 10pm on Friday night's "Karaoke Night" - and there wasn't a soul in the place.

Stay clear - it's a dump!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank AlisonBI
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I stayed here as part of a big wedding party. The owners were tremendously welcoming and went out of their way to help us with everything we needed. We needed all sorts of things - safety pins, ironing boards, food at strange times, meals for 14 people with no notice, and so on, and they never made us feel like we were a nuisance at all.

I get the impression that the hotel is being done up bit by bit. The bedrooms were comfortable and freshly decorated. The decor is older in the downstairs areas, hallways and bathrooms; it's not elegant, but it is fine.

I'm a very light sleeper and was worried that the room would be noisy, because several people have mentioned that in their reviews. However, I had a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the High Street, and wasn't disturbed at all. And, of course, the upside of being so central is that everything is close by - very handy when the bride chips her toe nail varnish on the morning of the wedding.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed here for a family wedding at the end of August and had a comfortable if somewhat noisy stay. Our twin room was lovely and had everything you need along with a large shower room. However, the room looked out on to the High Street and it was still very loud at 2am and then the excessively loud bin men came around at 6.30am. I am aware that the Hotel cannot help this, however it did impact on our stay. I'm sure if a room at the back may have been quieter.
The food etc at the wedding and also at breakfast was lovely, however, the portion size as previously mentioned was notice by all of us staying. A small cooked breakfast to say the least, however, very tasty. The staff were great and there was one lady who seemed to never stop! I didn't catch her name but she was very helpful.
I would stay here again, but would request a room away from the road.

Room Tip: Room away from the road
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed last Saturday (13th August). First impressions were grim. No parking spaces available as there are very few allocated to the hotel. There were others available that weren't being used at weekend but apparently they are clamped at 3am with a £200 release fee! How very welcoming!
We proceeded to our 2nd floor 'Luxury' room along a 1970's carpet, the stairs smelled of stale cooked cabbage and greasy chips! The room was an adequate size and was clean but the big let down was the tatty furniture which I would be ashamed to own! Tatty crap is probably the best description but make up your own mind from the photo's! Whoever made the decision to describe this room as 'luxury' has obviously never stayed in one. The floors were so uneven that the floor bath tiles were cracked which is a health hazard! This 'luxury' room overlooked the High Street and was very noisy which continued until at least 3am. I realise that the hotel cannot help the noise but when you pay £100 a night, you do expect to get a good night's sleep........not 5 hours!!
The 'full English breakfast' consisted of 1 rasher, 1 sausage, 1/2 a tomato, 1 egg, and a spoonful of baked beans plus some toast. It may satisfy the appetite of a 5 year old but didn't satisfy ours!
Reception was never manned but upon checkout, my husband commented on the price we'd paid and how tatty the furniture was and was told 'that's the way it is'!!!
There are many nicer hotels in Godalming which are much cheaper and have better reviews. I only wish my husband had chosen one of them or better still, left the booking to me. I would NOT have chosen this hotel and certainly could not recommend it, I would NEVER stay there again!

Room Tip: Good tip.....Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank pistonbroke
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here for one night in July 2011 and had a very comfortable stay. The single room that I had was small as expected but was adequate for my needs and had everything I needed. The bed was comfortable but with a board at the end of it, it wouldn't be a good fit for someone 5 foot 10/11 and over I believe. The TV was good and they also supplied tea/coffee facilities, which was excellent. The best part of the room was the en-suite bathroom with a huge shower cubicle which was excellent, one of the best I have experienced in several years of staying in hotels. The breakfast was also very good and the staff were very helpful and polite. If you stay out late, your room key also gets into the hotel and so this aspect of security is additionally welcome. Overall, a very pleasant stay and hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the main high street may be a little noisy at night, especially at weekends and so m...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
#2 of 2 in Haslemere
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Kings Arms and Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!