“Not very Royal, But....”

Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Godalming
Reviewed 5 June 2012

...actually our room was good value and spotlessly clean. It is an old building, so yes the floors creak a little (but I grew up in a 16th century property, so this didn't phase me at all). If you are looking for a hotel in the area that is middle of the road e.g. not expensive but not as soulless as a Travel Lodge, then give it a go. Best hotel location for Godalming, very central and on the high street. Fine for 1 or 2 nights if you are in town for an event or wedding, but take it for what it is - an average hotel in a very average pub.

Room Tip: We had a very spacious room that overlooked the high street. I'd recommend asking for this, as i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 June 2012

My "Superior" room was mediocre as opposed to superior

- Worst nights sleep I have in a hotel this year.
- Noisy.
- Sulky and miserable staff.
- Breakfast fatty, grotty and had to be returned.

Avoid this hotel - stay in one of the other Godalming hotels

Room Tip: Avoid High Street rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank HippoToes
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Having read the other reviews about this hotel, I very nearly cancelled the booking. I stayed last night in room 21 and can honestly say it's one of the best nights sleep I have had away from home. I felt so upset about the reviews, I joined tripadvisor and thought I would let you know about my stay. Dont get me wrong this is no 5 star hotel, but it's not trying to be. I would much rather stay here than any travelodge or budget hotel. I travel down to Guildford a lot and I will be making room 21 my regular stay

Room Tip: I have only stayed in room 21, so I can only comment on that one. Very sound nights sleep
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ALT1970
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Firstly we couldn't park.
Then we couldn't find the receptionist.
Then the beer was horrible (we went out to eat, didn't want to chance it!).
Then the room was either too hot (windows closed) or too noisy (windows open).
Then the bed was uncomfortable.
Then the breakfast was dreadful.

...we won't be going back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank GrappaInTheRealWorld
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I had great expectations with this hotel.. but it wasn't really good. It is very old and makes noises when you walk anywhere, even when laying in the bed. The room was small but clean, small bed, the bathroom made a better impression.

Breakfast was the best thing.

I think the comments here are overrated.. at least when i was there, wasn't so great.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We booked the hotel for an over-night stop over on the basis of their website and the descriptions & pictures of their 'recently renovated' rooms. The room we stayed in had certainly not be renovated; the carpet was filthy, there was mold all over the ceiling in the bathrooms and spider-webs all over the curtains. There was new TV in the room but no remote control. The welcome and service we got was not particularly good either.

The location is good; right on the high-street but they only have 5 parking spaces and about 20 room so best if you travel to Godalming by train. Breakfast was fine alothough under-staffed and they had no menus or other means to indicate what they could preapre.

This could be a lovely boutique hotel if you get one of their new rooms however the staff don't seem to care.

Room Tip: Arrive early and book one of the rennovated rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucent82
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Rude staff, terrible parking, a breakfast so poor my son could have done better (and he is 2!)

Outside of hotel is grim. The owners have not even bothered to repair and repaint areas that have been damaged! The plants on the window ledges are priceless - every single one of them is dead! They look like they were last years and nobody has bothered to replace them!

Room was uninspiring and not very well cleaned. Stay anywhere but here, despite the fantastic location.

Hotel could be so much more if owner the owners bothered a lot more!!!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Traveller1001review
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
The Stag on the River
#1 of 4 in Godalming
Premier Inn Guildford North (A3) Hotel
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham

Been to Kings Arms and Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!