“Dirty liars”

Squirrel Inn at Hurtmore
Ranked #13 of 17 Godalming B&B and Inns
“Dirty liars”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We were a large group staying at this b&b for my brothers wedding.everyone of us had a complaint about this b&b but I will stick to mine.
Myself & my husband were arriving on the day of my brothers wedding following travelling down from Cardiff in the morning.i had emailed 4months earlier to arrange an early check in so as we could have a shower and get ready.i asked if we could check in at 12 (as check out is 11) I was told this wouldn't be a problem.on arrival I was told we could not check in until 3 as the cleaner didn't start work until 1-I explained we had contacted to arrange the check in and were told this would not be possible. Luckily there was a free room we could use to get ready,and the girl who was helping me was apologetic but I would say because she was used to people being let down.
Now, being business owners we fo the extra mile for our customers-if that was my b&b or if i was a manager i'd have someone in that room cleaning to make sure y customers where happy and getting the service they'd been told they would get.
So anyway, we had a small single room to squeeze round to get ready and when we returned at midnight we had to struggle to move our cases in the dark in our wedding clothes to the room we were actually sleeping in. My husband had to ask for a spare key for our over night room so the key was not left in the door for us (clearly not very safe).
We had a bad nights sleep as there was a beeping on the fire alarm panel going off all night.
Our 'getting ready' room had doors in the area behind the main door which were open to the electric cupboard and also the cleaning cupboard.
There were no locks on the toilet doors, and the showers are in the corner of the room with shower doors open to the bedroom-ok if you are happy to shower in front of your partner!!!!!!!
On waking in the morning we notice our room was dirty... The carpet was covers in hair which made a little pile if you ran your toes across it,lamps were covered in dust,cobwebs in the corners. Our sink was broken and glued back together,the toilet handle had been sawn off to fit in the gap and was sharp ad looked shabby,the windows were rotten and had holes in the frames. NOT what I would expect form a b&b costing £75 per night.

Breakfast is not continental-it consisted of toast,cereals and a small selection of mini pastries I suspect were supermarket bought. Again not what I expect from a £75 a night b&b. now while I said I would stick to my review at this point I do want to mention another lie they told! My uncle has recently had an operation as means he can not eat solid food so my auntie had contacted the b&b to ask if there would be porridge at breakfast and told them why- she was told that would not be a problem and he would be catered for.they arrived on the Friday, Saturday breakfast: no porridge.when she asked she was told there was not porridge for breakfast. Even when confronted about it on Sunday morning no one had thought to make sure he was provided for.not being funny but on hearing the issue and there being nothing for him the eat on the Saturday morning,surely you'd get someone to get some porridge from the supermarket o make sure there was something the next day,esp if someone had already been to get the pastries!!!!
Our party had other issues such as towels not changed daily and stained bed sheets.
Poor b&b,poor service and expensive!!!
I would not recommend this place to anyone!!!!! I have pictures to prove the cobwebs and broken sink etc and will post them when I can get on a pc!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Sianvh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Well what can i say, me and my partner stayed here for a long weekend away from the city life and it was perfect just what we wanted. first of all the staff were very welcomingThe building itself was beautiful the food was amazing we had a lovely meal both nights. We got taken to our room by a very friendly member of staff who was very attentive. The room was lovely very quirky with beautiful features, i was also very impressed with the cleanliness of the room we had fresh towels every day. There wasnt a cobweb in sight no dust and definatly not dirty. For those that want a clinical 5* hotel this is not. For those who want a friendly relaxing comfortable place to get away from day to day life then this is for you and i totally recommend this place to anyone. ULTIMATLY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: we would recommend room 6 and would love to stay in the same room again, but would be happy to try a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
cardiff
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We spent 3 nights in the cottages for my sons wedding, if the hotel had not been so handy for the wedding reception close by we would have moved.
"Recently refurbished" it claims on the web site. Well that would have been about 1980 judging by the state of the place.Dirty carpets, cracked sanitary ware, rotting wooden windows. our "en suite " double had a toilet and basin in a cupboard in one corner of the bedroom, no lock on the badly fitting door, the shower was in another corner of the bedroom with an excellent view through the shower door from the bed.
My mum had a single on the ground floor,no hanging space at all, and "private bathroom" across the entrance corridor to the other rooms.
Bottled water in rooms was promised- no. We only got one bottle in 3 days and I had to go and ask for it at the bar.
Luckily as it was a wedding I had the foresight to take a hair dryer as there are non supplied.
The rooms are supposedly cleaned and replenished. No. I indicated we required clean towels in the usual manner by leaving them on the shower floor. The "cleaners" picked them up and hung them on the heated towel rail located immediately over the toilet. There were fluff bunnies under the bed, cobwebs in the corners , plenty of dust and dirty used glasses were left unchanged(red wine stains are fairly obvious).
"Continental breakfast". No. Cereal, toast, yoghurt , orange juice and coffee with a few Tescos' mini pastries. We had to keep asking for things to be topped up.
Not a sign of any of those continental items, bread rolls,ham cheese and fruit.
This place is not cheap and others in our party found much better accomodation in the next village.
The staff were not particularly welcoming, and tellingly didn't enquire if we had enjoyed our stay when we left.
Not one I would recommend to anyone and won't ever go there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Godalming hotels

Newcastle
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed on business for 1 night in a single room with separate, private bathroom.
The pub is just off the A3 and is very picturesque with a pleasant beer garden. The rooms are in a converted row of tiny cottages adjacent to the pub's main building.
My room was on the ground floor at the end of the row just inside the entrance. The room was small with a low beamed ceiling, small windows and a large fireplace which contained an electric convector heater. The bed was a bit lumpy and the wires for all the electrical appliances i.e the T.V. and lamps were visible as the plug sockets were half way up the wall which gave the room an untidy appearance. The main problem for me was you could hear conversations from the occupants in the room above very clearly as the noise travelled down the chimney and through the fireplace. Also any movement around the room above was accompanied by creaking floorboards though the rooms occupants semed to be practising for a sponsored walk! The bathroom was across the corridor and was large with a reasonable shower but was cold, with only the heated towel rail to warm it. Glad it wasn't cold weather.
Following a restless night's sleep I ventured into the pub for the included continental breakfast. I've stayed in many british hotels and not one of them has been able to produce a "proper" continental breakfast. This one consisted of some large pastries (very nice) and the usual toast, cereals, fresh juice and yoghurts. No meats, cheeses etc that you would get abroad. It was O.K. though and the fresh coffee was a bonus. Don't know if I would stay again but their midweek rates are very reasonable and that might sway me to give it another try. Ultimately it was a little disappointing because of the quality of sleep I managed to get.

Room Tip: On an upper floor!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Wardsville
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We had a one night stay for B & B at the Squirrel Inn in May 2012, and I have to say that I am ever so glad that it was for one night only.

Everything was reasonable until it came time for breakfast which consisted of yoghurt, cereals, toast and cakes. Drinks consisted of fruit juice, tea and coffee and that's your lot. The full English breakfast that one expects from a B & B was not on the menu, The Chef, who put in an appearance at breakfast time stated that the new owners only provide a continental breakfast.

In my opinion the very limited selection of food provided does not constitute a continental breakfast which should include a selection of bread and pastries, cold meats and cheeses.

Room Tip: Rooms are situated in a quaint and rather ancient terraced building with low ceilings set apart from...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Danny R
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Easy to find off the A3, this hidden gem of a pub and restaurant has 8 cottage style rooms. Rooms are compact but very clean and have all you need for a short stay in the area. Restaurant serves great food and a selection of real ales. Free wifi in the bar. Plenty of parking. Will definitely stay here again when next in the Guildford / Godalming area.

Stayed April 2012
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

The Pub itself offers a very good range of wines. Bloody Mary's are excellent. The entire menu is delicious & good value for money. These are some of the best starters I have had, without exception. The staff are all very accommodating and friendly. The rooms are all fine, comfortable and quiet. This is not the four seasons, but you are only paying £65 per night including breakfast. The breakfast is absolutely fine for continental. Fresh and delicious pastry, cereals, juice, coffee and toast etc. overall I would recommend a stay or dinner at The Squirrel

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank CJLev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Godalming
Godalming Hotel
Kings Arms and Royal Hotel
Worplesdon Place
Worplesdon Place
#2 of 2 in Worplesdon

Been to Squirrel Inn at Hurtmore? Share your experiences!