“Personal Service and excellent Food”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fittleworth
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I booked the whole hotel for my wedding guests and also for me and my husbands wedding night. I dealt mainly with Matt and Beth who were both hugely professional, organised, welcoming and friendly. The booking changed quite a lot as wedding guests dropped out and filled in places an they dealt with it all perfectly and without confusion, leaving me with as little to do as possible.

We had drinks on the Saturday Night and they reserved us an area and fed most of us, everyone commented on how excellent the food was and there were all age groups there and kids. The rooms are mainly great, the four posters are very comfy and there are a range of different rooms to suit families, singles etc, the only downfall is that the bathrooms need updating, but parts of the hotel are due to be renovated soon so maybe the bathrooms are in their plan.

After the wedding on the Sunday they provided a service whereby they kept the bar open for us, very good of them really since we got back two hours after the pub had closed, they dealt with drunken wedding guests very well and Matt was totally in the right spirit.

Breakfast was delicious and they were so great for letting me and my bridesmaids check out late as we had so much stuff, things to do, general wedding fall out, it was great of them to be so flexible.

We then had a lunch there on the monday, again the food and service was excellent, and I feel like the really contributed to our wedding and the whole relaxed feel of it!

Thank you!

Jo and Jimmy x

Room Tip: Ask for one of the four poster rooms, there are two
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 June 2012

The Swan has been a local's local for some years, nestling in the heart of a tiny picturesque village in West Sussex, between Pulborough and Petworth, that had been in desperate need of some tlc and proper management. It was taken over fairly recently and refurbished to a very high standard, and has deservedly earnt a reputation as one of the best restaurants not only in the area, but arguably in West Sussex. From the moment you walk in, whether as a customer at the bar, or in the restaurant, there is a warm welcome - not just from the staff, but from the very friendly surrounding atmosphere... The restaurant experience is superb - the service is impeccable, whilst friendly - and the food was simply excellent. The menu was simple, imaginative, exceedingly good, and for the overall quality - exceptional value. The only downside is that as this is no longer a well kept secret - you need to book in advance, and definitely worth the wait...!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 186390Patricia
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This pub has changed so much since the new owners took over - I hardly recognised the place. No longer dark and dingy it has a warm, welcoming interior (although the paintings could be improved!), the staff were friendly and the service was very good. We called in for a light lunch after a long walk - the pinot grigio I had was excellent as was the local beer my husband had. We both ordered the pork bap with chips which was absolutely delicious and good value. The chips were excellent and the pork just fell apart. Perfect.

The menu had an excellent choice - I had great difficulty choosing what to have as it all sounded so nice - I believe it changes every week too. I will definitely return for dinner at the earliest opportunity but for me, it will be a special occasion pub as the prices are slightly on the high side but then so many are these days!

My only comment would be that although the interior is very nice it did feel more like a small hotel than a relaxed pub - slightly more formal (waitresses in a uniform for example) - but maybe that was because we went at lunch time and there were a few businessmen in there - it wasn't a problem just an observation. My dog appreciated the dog biscuits that are on sale at the bar - a nice touch!

Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank localgirlWestSussex
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I chose The Swan without seeing it as the base for our wedding party in late April. I am so glad we did. When we arrived on the Friday night, the bar was heaving and the restaurant too - a smashing first impression that remained. Villages like Fittleworth need a local like The Swan & it is so nice to see locals flocking to a great, friendly boozer with a sensational restaurant. Please pay little attention to the Moaning Michael below. The accommodation was perfectly acceptable with small faults that you would expect to find in such a building. So the roof leaked in an old coaching inn on one of the wettest April weekends in history, but do not let this put you off. It has a charming character & the young, enthusiastic & helpful staff did everything to ensure we were happy & comfortable. From front of house to the chefs, they bent over backwards to accommodate us. The owners are in the process of a complete renovation & they will get there. Stay there & enjoy it! We're going back next year to celebrate our anniversary & are already looking forward to it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PJCarline
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I wanted to visit Arundel Castle and we decided to stay at The Swan after I'd read excellent reviews related to the food. Whilst travelling on the Saturday I realised that I hadn't booked a table for dinner that night so phoned the Swan and a very friendly gentleman accommodated us with a table at 9p.m.as earlier tables in the restaurant were fully booked. On arrival we were welcomed at the bar by a guy I believe was called Chris who took our drinks order and then proceeded to check us in. The bar was lively and yet nothing was too much trouble for the gentleman manning the check-in and bar. He even took the time to look out walks from the door for us. Our room was good and we couldn't agree with some of the comments we read on Tripadvisor about the rooms. The bathroom was well equipped, clean and had an excellent shower. We ordered aperitifs at 8.30p.m. in the bar and were led to our table at 8.45p.m. as it was available. Bethan was our host and she was wonderful. The food was out of this world and very good value we felt. The ambiance of the restaurant was warm and my husband and I had a fabulous evening chatting beside the fireplace over our gastronomic delights. In the morning Bethan took our breakfast order and once more, nothing was too much trouble. She also checked us out and took the time to indicate where further information could be found in the bar related to the Ancient Order of Froth Blowers! Worth a read. We then went on a 15 mile walk and although the bar was due to close (4.55p.m.) Bethan was more than willing to serve us a couple of drinks to provide sustenance to weary walkers before our long drive home. We would certainly recommend this venue to all our friends and the highlight for us has to be the food and the service. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We were recommended this pub for dinner by a local B&B following a change of ownership, we were not disappointed, one of the best meals we've had! We have since been back and yet again the food was amazing!

Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at The Swan at the end of April as we were getting married nearby. The room we stayed in was number five - Constable - which was charming. It had a four poster bed which was really comfortable. The food was completely fabulous, dinner Friday night, lunch on Saturday and breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Above all this I would say that the staff were the most helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind I have ever come across. Helping out with bizarre last minute wedding problems (ice buckets and jelly making!) and generally being fabulous. Thank you so much for making our wedding weekend as lovely as it was. We have already planned to return there next year for our first anniversary.

Room Tip: Room five has a lovely four poster bed, but it is above the bar so could be noisy for some people.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danielle C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fittleworth
Roundabout Hotel
#5 of 10 in Worthing
The Castle Inn Hotel
The Castle Inn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bramber

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!