“Good food,superb service,friendly,efficient - what more can you want!”
Review of The Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fittleworth
The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fittleworth
West Sussex
“Good food,superb service,friendly,efficient - what more can you want!”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have become 'regulars' at The Swan over the last year or so – normally eating in the restaurant although occasionally in the bar (and if we had the weather would gladly return to the superb garden!).
The Swan is run in a friendly,relaxed,informal way – anyone stepping in always receives a warm,friendly welcome!
There is a good selection of wines and beers (including very well kept 'real ales').
The food ranges from 'bar snacks' to a reasonably extensive three course restaurant menu (with an additional, regularly changing, 'specials' menu).
The food is good quality,well prepared,sometimes a little adventurous, and extremely well presented.
We have eaten as a couple and in larger groups and in all the meals don't ever recall a 'bad' one (although obviously some are more preferred to others).
Service is exceptionally good – professional,attentive,informal. Richard, who normally runs the restaurant, is worthy of special praise – enthusiastic,friendly,always wanting to ensure the customer is happy – a true professional.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Disappointing rooms!! You walk through a beautifully decorated pub and restaurant to find rooms which have not been decorated for several decades. I would be quite happy with this if they were reasonably priced i.e. £50-£60 instead of the £198 requested for our triple room. These are things I would probably not have even noticed if staying in a B&B for B&B prices but...the paint was peeling from the walls, the carpet in need of replacing, the bathroom retro (bath identical to that in 70s forces accomodation) and the staff on the evening we arrived made us feel quite unwelcome.

In old buildings like this I accept that it is pretty common for the wiring to be unusual. We arrived late at night carrying a baby and baggage - it would have been really useful for someone to show us to our room and explain that the light switches don't work in the standard way! The beds were comfortable and the sheets clean but if you are going to charge this sort of rate after redecorating the rooms maybe buy some valances/less ugly divans? I note a few of the reviews from earlier in the year commented on the leaking roof - it still is clearly in need of attention! From reading the other reviews it seems that there are some nice rooms but I certainly would not recommend ours (room 1).

Breakfast was lovely and the staff on in the morning friendly and helpful. Check out took a little longer than expected as we waited for each customer to negotiate their discount. With very little discussion our bill was halved - I still feel we probably over paid.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsSmith1978
witley
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I booked the whole hotel for my wedding guests and also for me and my husbands wedding night. I dealt mainly with Matt and Beth who were both hugely professional, organised, welcoming and friendly. The booking changed quite a lot as wedding guests dropped out and filled in places an they dealt with it all perfectly and without confusion, leaving me with as little to do as possible.

We had drinks on the Saturday Night and they reserved us an area and fed most of us, everyone commented on how excellent the food was and there were all age groups there and kids. The rooms are mainly great, the four posters are very comfy and there are a range of different rooms to suit families, singles etc, the only downfall is that the bathrooms need updating, but parts of the hotel are due to be renovated soon so maybe the bathrooms are in their plan.

After the wedding on the Sunday they provided a service whereby they kept the bar open for us, very good of them really since we got back two hours after the pub had closed, they dealt with drunken wedding guests very well and Matt was totally in the right spirit.

Breakfast was delicious and they were so great for letting me and my bridesmaids check out late as we had so much stuff, things to do, general wedding fall out, it was great of them to be so flexible.

We then had a lunch there on the monday, again the food and service was excellent, and I feel like the really contributed to our wedding and the whole relaxed feel of it!

Thank you!

Jo and Jimmy x

Room Tip: Ask for one of the four poster rooms, there are two
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The Swan has been a local's local for some years, nestling in the heart of a tiny picturesque village in West Sussex, between Pulborough and Petworth, that had been in desperate need of some tlc and proper management. It was taken over fairly recently and refurbished to a very high standard, and has deservedly earnt a reputation as one of the best restaurants not only in the area, but arguably in West Sussex. From the moment you walk in, whether as a customer at the bar, or in the restaurant, there is a warm welcome - not just from the staff, but from the very friendly surrounding atmosphere... The restaurant experience is superb - the service is impeccable, whilst friendly - and the food was simply excellent. The menu was simple, imaginative, exceedingly good, and for the overall quality - exceptional value. The only downside is that as this is no longer a well kept secret - you need to book in advance, and definitely worth the wait...!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 186390Patricia
west sussex
Reviewed 1 June 2012

This pub has changed so much since the new owners took over - I hardly recognised the place. No longer dark and dingy it has a warm, welcoming interior (although the paintings could be improved!), the staff were friendly and the service was very good. We called in for a light lunch after a long walk - the pinot grigio I had was excellent as was the local beer my husband had. We both ordered the pork bap with chips which was absolutely delicious and good value. The chips were excellent and the pork just fell apart. Perfect.

The menu had an excellent choice - I had great difficulty choosing what to have as it all sounded so nice - I believe it changes every week too. I will definitely return for dinner at the earliest opportunity but for me, it will be a special occasion pub as the prices are slightly on the high side but then so many are these days!

My only comment would be that although the interior is very nice it did feel more like a small hotel than a relaxed pub - slightly more formal (waitresses in a uniform for example) - but maybe that was because we went at lunch time and there were a few businessmen in there - it wasn't a problem just an observation. My dog appreciated the dog biscuits that are on sale at the bar - a nice touch!

Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank localgirlWestSussex
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I chose The Swan without seeing it as the base for our wedding party in late April. I am so glad we did. When we arrived on the Friday night, the bar was heaving and the restaurant too - a smashing first impression that remained. Villages like Fittleworth need a local like The Swan & it is so nice to see locals flocking to a great, friendly boozer with a sensational restaurant. Please pay little attention to the Moaning Michael below. The accommodation was perfectly acceptable with small faults that you would expect to find in such a building. So the roof leaked in an old coaching inn on one of the wettest April weekends in history, but do not let this put you off. It has a charming character & the young, enthusiastic & helpful staff did everything to ensure we were happy & comfortable. From front of house to the chefs, they bent over backwards to accommodate us. The owners are in the process of a complete renovation & they will get there. Stay there & enjoy it! We're going back next year to celebrate our anniversary & are already looking forward to it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PJCarline
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I wanted to visit Arundel Castle and we decided to stay at The Swan after I'd read excellent reviews related to the food. Whilst travelling on the Saturday I realised that I hadn't booked a table for dinner that night so phoned the Swan and a very friendly gentleman accommodated us with a table at 9p.m.as earlier tables in the restaurant were fully booked. On arrival we were welcomed at the bar by a guy I believe was called Chris who took our drinks order and then proceeded to check us in. The bar was lively and yet nothing was too much trouble for the gentleman manning the check-in and bar. He even took the time to look out walks from the door for us. Our room was good and we couldn't agree with some of the comments we read on Tripadvisor about the rooms. The bathroom was well equipped, clean and had an excellent shower. We ordered aperitifs at 8.30p.m. in the bar and were led to our table at 8.45p.m. as it was available. Bethan was our host and she was wonderful. The food was out of this world and very good value we felt. The ambiance of the restaurant was warm and my husband and I had a fabulous evening chatting beside the fireplace over our gastronomic delights. In the morning Bethan took our breakfast order and once more, nothing was too much trouble. She also checked us out and took the time to indicate where further information could be found in the bar related to the Ancient Order of Froth Blowers! Worth a read. We then went on a 15 mile walk and although the bar was due to close (4.55p.m.) Bethan was more than willing to serve us a couple of drinks to provide sustenance to weary walkers before our long drive home. We would certainly recommend this venue to all our friends and the highlight for us has to be the food and the service. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fittleworth
Chequers Hotel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
#2 of 7 in Arundel
Travelodge Billinghurst Five Oaks

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!