“An old favourite but standards have fallen......”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fittleworth
London, United Kingdom
“An old favourite but standards have fallen......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We've been coming to The Swan for about 4 years at the rate of 3 or 4 times a year. Having been firmly on the roster of our favourites for Sunday lunch we were very disappointed on our recent visit. We love the pub so I don't want to be alarmist but the quality of the roast lunch was significantly lower than what we had become used to - butter carrots, kale and cauliflower and cheese were replaced by wilted, overlooked unbuttered green beans and carrots, towering yorks hires now flat and soggier. The beef, while generous, was obviously of lower quality..... My Harvey's was even cloudy. Such a shame as the food prior to this has always been exemplary.

We generally go out to Sunday lunch when entertaining and based on our recent trip we will be skipping The Swan for a while as we don't want to risk it..... The approach to the food suggests the overall philosophy has changed which is disappointing.

There's lots to like about the pub however and we are local so I hope thy this was either a one off or that things are turned around.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
charlie w, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
We are very sorry you did not enjoy Sunday lunch with us over the last Bank Holiday. Sunday was an exceptionally busy day , we prepared to feed 90 and fed 155 so the Swan was under pressure. Our Roast sirloin of Beef is supplied by John Murray of Loxwood one of the best butchers in West Sussex and of the best quality. We take your point about the vegetables and are investigating The Swan was run as a gastro pub and failed into administration. We are running it as a village Inn offering good food and comfortable accommodation. Please don't give up on us!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Bank Holiday Sunday evening, should have been stuffed to the gunnels with happy drinkers and eaters… but not it was sadly empty. Only came to eat and drink, and even that was a little bit of a challenge. Great service from behind (and in front) of the bar, and a good attempt at keeping us in order, but sadly that was as good as it got.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
charlie w, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the Swan on last Bank Holiday Sunday evening . Sunday in fact was an extremely busy day when our chefs fed 155 people of which 56 ate in the evening so really it should have appeared busy. If our quality suffered it can only be explained by the higher than expected numbers who ate with us. Please return and see if we can do better.
Pulborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I visited the restaurant with a German exchange student and my family. The food was very poor, the service was very slow and when I highlighted my dissatisfaction to the waitress she was extremely rude and I was embarrassed in front of other guests. I was particularly upset as we were entertaining and this made it even more embarrassing. I tried to contact the pub by email to raise this matter directly but the management did not respond.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarah L
charlie w, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
We are so sorry that nothing was right for you. We do try hard to please our customers ,on this occasion we failed. We can only offer sincere apologies . We will endeavour to raise our game.
Plymouth, Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed in the Goodwood room, comprising a very comfortable four-poster bed and a well-equipped bathroom. Dual-aspect, with a pretty garden view to the rear. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The dinner menu offered a varied choice; one evening my husband chose the beer-battered cod, followed by the raspberry cheesecake and I had the rack of lamb followed by the rhubarb syllabub: superb meal! The hospitality we received here was second to none.

4 Thank happylady111
Chepstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We came on a pleasant sunny Sunday and would recommend for a good value Lunch. Good choice of roasts, excellent vegetables. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.We wil certainly come again when we can sample the other menu the Swan offers.

2 Thank Geoff993
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We came here today Sunday 9th March with a view to having Sunday lunch and using the B&B However when we arrived we asked for the menu and my partner ordered drinks.......no one came to us to see if we wanted any food, ok you might have to order from bar but this is not clear. It was real ale weekend as menus for ales were on table so maybe they were not interested in us .A waiter did finally come to our table and asked if we had finished with menus.....not if wanted anything from them!!!!!!!!!!! missed opportunity there for possible lunch, dinner and b&b.......we went to the welldiggers arms for lunch...lovely and came home!!!

1 Thank Steve580419
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed here with colleagues for just one night and would recommend it for a leisure stay if you are exploring the area. I asked for a room with good access, and was booked a room in the annexe with just a few steps up, however,the steps were outside, so you need to be careful in the wet, or worse weather! The approach is cobbly, but reasonably lit. My room was comfortable, decent bathroom, nice garden view, tea facilities, comfy bed, TV, quiet. Speaking to colleagues in the morning I was told some rooms in the main pub were noisy due to them being next to the road which was busy all night long. I'm glad I had an annexe room. Our breakfast was served very early as we had an early start to our working day. Most of my colleagues had cooked breakfast, I had just toast, so I can't comment on the quality of a cooked breakfast. Dinner the night before was good though, hearty pub meals with a special touch. The staff were helpful and friendly, the facilities were clean, the pub itself is quaint and cute. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: Definitely book an annexe room, I think there's 4!