“Not bad”

The Fox House Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 78 Restaurants in Holmfirth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, View, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Traditional British country pub just outside of Holmfirth serving a modern British menu from local suppliers. Carvery and bar menus served in a traditional country setting. A la'carte private dining available in the restaurant.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

My partner always has the cavery here which from what he says is amazing. You get some
Much food! I'm not into cavery so I normally get something from the menu. I had a beef curry, I could of cooked it better at home. It tasted like a bad stew. Nice pub though and friendly staff. Stick to the cavery

1 Thank Miniplum90

Sheffield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The food here is so good me and my husband come here often. The pub has a lovely traditional feel and always warm and welcoming. There is usually plenty of room so we usually don't have to book a table. The food is always cooked fresh to order and everything is homemade including the chips and Yorkshire puddings! Very generous portions which we love and the menu is traditional pub food but always has a specials board for something a little different. Amazing value for money too. We often come here spur of the moment or for a family occasion and have never been disappointed. Deserts are beautiful too and always a great selection! Cannot recommend this place enough!!

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“One of the best pubs in the area”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It's funny how often we talk about other options for a meal out, then end up at the Fox House!

Why? Well, it's consistently good, with a varied menu to suit everyone (although the portions are huge!), food is well and freshly cooked and nicely presented, there's always a good selection of local beers, service is efficient, the staff friendly without being OTT and prices are very reasonable. What more could you want? It's not a gourmet restaurant and has no pretensions!

It was busy on Friday evening, but our party of 7 was settled quickly and we all enjoyed our meals. My pork souvlaki was a bit different from the usual bar meal and made me think of holidays in Greece (a good thing!). The others had scampi, mixed grills, pie, burgers and veggie ravioli. Not a lot was left!

So next time we think about possibilities for a meal out, guess where will be at the top of the list...!

• Visited July 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great meals”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We called the other day with friends from Australia. We had 3 different menu choices between the four of us and everybody was impressed with the meals taste, quantity and presentation. We will be revisiting when our friends return to Australia. it was very busy but the staff coped very well and service was excellent. The only thing I don't like is the fact I was paying by credit card and you have to pay as you go along meaning a card transaction for drinks, a card transaction for a main course and a card transaction for desserts. That is a bit over the top.

• Visited July 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very dissatisfied”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just eaten here and although the lasagne was average my boyfriend was very disappointed with the belly pork, it tasted incredibly bitter and the £5.00 they took off isn't really much compensation for an inedible meal.

• Visited June 2014