“Much Too hot”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holmfirth
Wirral
“Much Too hot”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Not a particular hot day but hotel was roasting. Restaurant was very hot but room was stifling. Couldn't open skylight window due to noise levels ( directly below the outside seating area which was very busy late into night). Cant understand it as no heating on.
Room was OK other than that and this seems the most up market and busy hotel in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Take some ice backs with you
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel looks great after its re-vamp the bar and restaurant are much improved, making it a pleasure to visit for a drink or something to eat. Had a sandwich at lunchtime the filling was beautiful poached salmon, the only let down for me personally was it being served in a teacake, could a more elegant alternative be provided please!
Lets hope the toilets get a makeover soon.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My Dad lives in Honley and as it was his birthday I wanted to take him for a nice lunch within local distance to him that served nice home made food. I don't live in the area so was unsure where to go. We saw the hotel from across the bridge and thought it looked wonderful with the open seating area outside near the river, as it was a very warm day- how inviting!

As we hadn't been before we went straight to the bar to order a drink and enquire about eating outside.We were met at the bar with a smile and a warm welcome, which doesn't happen much these days unfortunately. The lady took her time with us, offered to let my Dad try out an ale as he hadn't tasted it before and explained the menu to us if we were sitting outside. We took the menus outside and sat ourselves at a table of our choice. We then went back in to order once we had decided.

The food was just what i was looking for and my Dad enjoyed his too- as he is quite often sticks to what he knows. It was fresh, well presented, tasted lovely and we had a really nice afternoon. We weren't rushed to leave when we had finished eating and got to enjoy the lovely surroundings.

We enjoyed pulled pork, fish fingers and olives for starters to share, followed by a chicken ceasar salad and hickory chicken as our mains- All of it was beautiful!!

Thank you to the staff for a lovely reception and food. We will definitely visit again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Tyne & wear
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just returned from a weekend stay, the room was small but had everything we needed, very clean comfy bed, toiletries and plenty tea, coffee and biscuits. Our room was overlooking the seating area at the front, it was quite noisy, however this did not bother us. If you want a quiet room ask for room at the rear.
The breakfast was gorgeous, lovely fresh bread, fruit, yoghurts and a variety of pastries. Also the cooked breakfast was excellent.
We would definitely return. One little fault ( there was no information folder in the room).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I went to The Old Bridge yesterday for lunch with my sister. The refurbishment looks great and will help them during the Tour de France. As you walk through the door it says please wait to be seated, we waited for a good 5 minutes without anyone coming so decided to sit down ourselves. I had the pulled pork sandwich with cheese and BBQ sauce, which was disappointing. My sister had the hallumi, pesto and sun blushed tomato sandwich which came without any sun blushed tomatoes. Service wasn't great either so won'tbe returning in a hurry.

1 Thank Katie W
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

good refurbishment. for starters we had the goats cheese mushrooms-very tasty. mains was poached salmon house salad with sweet potatoe fries-very fresh. other mains was the double dog, nice but less cheese and crispier fries would have been better. 2 soft drinks and a large glass of wine came to £44. will go back. Paul our waiter was very attentive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Huddersfield
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I like the Old Bridge and tend to visit every couple of months. They have had a major refurb in the last 2/3 months and it is very nice - particularly outside. Food choice and quality is generally very good (bit dearer I think, and not sure that it is as good as it was). I have visited twice since the refurb first with my mum for lunch, the second time with hubby for an evening meal - both visits were in May.

For our lunch trip mum and I both had Lasagne, it arrived served on a wooden block, with skinny type chips in a mini frying basket and a small mound of rocket - hmm ! Lasagne was a generous portion, but no nicer than pre-refurb where I recall a choice of salad (not just rocket) and veg/potatoes. The dish was £10 and enjoyable enough, the emphasis though seemed more on a trendy presentation than actual meal content.

Hubby and I visited a couple of weeks later for an evening meal, he had already heard from someone who had visited (not impressed with their food being served on a block of wood !) and fancied seeing the changes. Again he was impressed by the refurb and eager to try the food !
This time I had the piri piri chicken which was good, hubby opted for the dirty burger both came with coleslaw, fries and the clump of rocket.

Perhaps it is us, for some meals such as burgers etc the wooden block presentation would be ok, but I like a meal on a plate and I prefer a choice of what it comes with (that doesn't seem to exist anymore) I am sure that previously you had a choice of potatoes/veg/salad. It is not particularly cheap here and I am not sure we will visit as often - we are not rocket fans, we like our veg !

Staff were lovely (so pleasant and helpful), and the service was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ella S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmfirth
Durker Roods Hotel
#3 of 12 in Holmfirth
Elephant & Castle
Elephant & Castle
#8 of 12 in Holmfirth

Been to Old Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!