“EXCELLENT STAY IN YORKSHIRE”

Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 12 Holmfirth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Sue and Mike were excellent hosts. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Property and setting were beautifully maintained. Holmfirth was just a walk away with very good shops and places to eat. We will certainly stay there again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Beautiful house and warm cosy rooms. Mike and Sue gave us a very warm welcome and looked after us wonderfully. An excellent and varied choice of breakfast which was plentiful, well presented and freshly cooked...delicious! Breakfast is served at one large table shared by all the guests. A choice of three breakfast sittings is offered and chosen the night before so it wasn't crowded in the room. The accomodation was spacious, very clean and tidy with plenty of tea/coffee etc provided. Beautiful guest lounge with games, books, piano and (heaven) no TV! making it a very relaxing room. The main town is only a 5 minute walk away with varied excellent restaurants and pubs. Would definatly recommend and return here ourselves.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Clean, comfortable and friendly. Nothing to much trouble to make our short stay memorable. Wish I had booked a couple of more nights. The short walk into Holmfirth made it a convenient place to stay and the local people made you feel welcome, they also held Sunnybank and its owners and staff in high esteem. Will definitely be visiting again.

Room Tip: All rooms are exactly what they say on the tin.
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Beautiful property with lots of character. The room was very clean and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Breakfast was fresh and cooked to order - perhaps some background music and/or newspapers would help a little with the silences around the breakfast table (which is shared with other guests). Very convenient location for Holmfirth which is a short 5 minute walk away. Very friendly hosts.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter W, Owner at Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Hi Pamela

Many thanks for taking the time to review Sunnybank. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I thought I might reply with a little explanation for prospective guests about the breakfast arrangements at Suunybank and why we do it the way we do. Our overall aim is to generate a relaxed and welcoming feeling not unlike house guests enjoying a few days away at a country home. We have no commercial signage and very limited notices around the property.

When we first started doing B&B we did try background music and quickly found that one man’s radio station is another’s poison, that people whispered and were less likely to interact at all and that we could keep your charges lower by not having to pay for a PRS licence. Also our unexpected inclusion into the prestigious Good Hotel Guide actively promotes the absence of background music. Papers also seem to offer a barrier rather than a bridge.

We can and do offer, when we are busy, a single, table for two in the lounge but even here - when gusts have experienced both – they usually choose to breakfast with the other guests.

Yes, you are right that there can be the odd awkward ‘British’ moment when people enter the dining room and broach their comfort zone however we try to quickly introduce people and encourage interaction.

Generally we can claim with confidence that once the ice has been broken, guests enjoy our more continental experience and give us the lovely problem of – “how do we stop them all talking so we can clear the table before lunchtime”!

We do hope you will return and look forward to welcoming you again

Kind regards
Peter & Anne

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at the Sunnybank Guest House whilst attending the wedding of a good friend nearby. The first thing to say is that the house is beautiful - a perfect example of Victorian architecture and gardens. The room was spacious and well-appointed with lots of little touches that I appreciated. Breakfast was also very well done, enjoyable and make with fresh local ingredients.

The one thing that let the experience down was being charged £20 for a towel that, unfortunately, had a bit of makeup on it. I had an accident with an exploding bottle of makeup which meant the towel was dirty - when I arrived back from the wedding, I was greeted by a rather terse letter stating that a) I would have to pay for the towel that was damaged by fake tan (fake tan was not used at all) and b) I *may* in future have to pay to dry clean the bedspread - again, no fake tan was used whatsoever.

The following morning, I tried to explain that I had not used fake tan (this was water-based makeup which would wash out). I was told that *if I managed to get the makeup out myself, I could send the towel back and they would refund me*.

Incidentally, having purchased several of the same towels for my own home, I know for a fact that they do not cost £20 to replace. Overall, I thought that was a bit mean, particularly as they know it would cost me nearly as much in postage to send back.

Final point that really took the shine off the experience - every single one of my friends received a thank you note and a welcome back - I didn't. I can only think getting makeup on a towel is such a crime that they don't want 'my sort' back again. Rest assured, I won't return - that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've stayed in many of the best hotels in the world and have never been asked to pay for a dirty towel - surely laundry is a key and intrinsic part of any hotel experience and I can't believe makeup is the worst thing the proprietors have ever seen.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Caroline T
Peter W, Owner at Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Caroline

I'm glad you enjoyed Sunnybank, our breakfasts and the facilities. It’s such a shame that the bath sheet incident marred your visit. Unfortunately, whilst we often deal with small amounts of make up, yours was an excessively soiled bath sheet and it may have been better, in hindsight, to have used the tissues provided to deal with your "exploding" makeup.

Whilst we're sorry you felt unable to return the bath sheet, we believe our offer to reimburse you - should you be able to clean it - was more than fair being actually below the replacement cost for a ‘Zero Twist 600 gsm Bath Sheet’ from our online suppliers 'King of Cotton'.

Sadly our purple bedspread you mentioned did not respond to dry cleaning as the marks turned out to be as a result of nail varnish remover, presumably, from the opened bottle we discovered when we serviced your room. We have donated this to a local charity and replaced it, at our expense, with a new grey one.

All in all I'm glad you had an enjoyable weekend and apologize for our oversight in failing to issue a "Please come again" letter.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

A very nice facility. Super clean. Food was great. Staff was very helpful and great location. Room appointments very well done. Parking was no problem and Holmfirth is a very easy walk. Would not hesitate to stay again

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Friendly guest house, delicious breakfast and spacious and well equipped modern room. Would stay here again for another weekend in holmfirth. Lovely pubs and restaurants nearby. There is also a small vineyard about 5 minutes drive away which is also worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmfirth
Old Bridge Inn
#4 of 12 in Holmfirth
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#6 of 12 in Holmfirth

Been to Sunnybank Boutique Guesthouse? Share your experiences!