“40th Birthday”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Recently had my 40th Birthday party & No 14 did the catering for my party. Food was excellent!!!!! Would highly recommend them, great service & very friendly helpful staff. Have been going to No 14 for many years,love the atmosphere & all the luxury items in the shop attached. If your going through Greyabbey ,definitely drop in,you will love it.

4  Thank sandra w

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was here for lunch and have heard from friends that the food and service was awful but thaught I'll try it any way it turns out I should have listened to them. The staff ignored us we waited 25 mins to be served and the so called restraunt wasn't exactally full of life as there were only 4 other tables in. Finally when I ordered and received our food a burger and a pear salad I was very disappointed the chips had enough salt on them to give some one a stroke the burger had clearly been micro waved and was soggy and breaking apart and the salad dressing was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted and I like mustard dressings. The pear salad was again dressed with that awful mustard dressing and had very little blue cheese. The pears were obviousally tined pairs from tessco and wouldn't be surprised if that's were all his stock is from as we see him bringing tessco bags into the kitchen earlier that morning. So after all that the person who was cooking came out to go round to the shop and I could see why the food was no good as he was wearing shorts and a tee shirt not in my mind what a chef would wear. He was just slouching around the place I can now see why number 14 has very little custom and will certainly never be back I would not recommend here unless you want awful food awful service and only who I can persume is the owner/cook prancing about in his shorts like he was in a carry on film very disappointing

4  Thank Kjim893
Eoin L, Owner at No 14 The Village, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

As I have posted recently on Tripadvisor I prefer to engage with customers face to face to hopefully resolve problems when they occur but this "review" has left me at a loss even though I was in the restaurant during lunch service.None of the staff can find any information,what so ever,relating to it eg: no order was made for a table of two with this stated food combination,no supermarket bags came through the restaurant,our burgers are not microwaved,our in house dressings gets a lot of praise,no one complained on the day in question and lunch service has been very busy during this holiday week with people unable to get a table.
.The "review"ends using phrases like"slouching around" and "prancing about- like he is in a Carry On film" to describe one of our team simply walking through the restaurant.This is a disgraceful, and unnecessary personal attack and I would ask the reviewer to reflect on the distress such comments could cause.
Finally we have had quite a number of 5 star reviews on Tripadvisor over the last few weeks and I would like to thank all our very kind customers,the staff and I really appreciate your comments and try very hard to make the NO14 experience a good one.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I recently spent a lovely evening with friends at No. 14. It began at the door, we were greeted with a cheerful smile and friendly welcome. Because we were a party of 3 we were lucky enough to have a corner table which allowed us a view of the cozy resto. We were presented with drinks, menus and specials of the day in an easy and comfortable atmosphere. We enjoyed our aperitifs while watching the staff interact with the other customers. As delicious smelling dishes went by we made our selections with recommendations from our server. The food was superb! My friend swooned over the Chicken Satay. The beef ragu was tender and served with a delightful kale and garlic mash. Every dish was perfectly cooked and beautifully plated. We also shared a cheese plate which had 5 different kinds of cheeses (perfectly ripened), sliced apples and grapes but the dish that forever enslaved me was the chocolate truffle cake with ice cream and raspberries. At the end of our meal the chef actually came out to greet and chat with us. he was more than willing to answer questions about his creations. I am a frequent visitor to Belfast and plan on returning to NO 14 again. Well done! Kudos to both the wait and kitchen staff! Do dine here and plan on poking around the cute gift shop too. Oh yeah, ask the waitress about her sheep.

3  Thank Pam D
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I enjoyed a lovely lunch today at No 14. The food was superb, especially the satay chicken - absolutely scrumptious. We all enjoyed our meals and would highly recommend it. The staff were so lovely - all of them were friendly, courteous, attentive and very obliging. The restaurant has a lovely relaxing atmosphere, its very clean and is well presented. We also enjoyed the attached gift shop with its beautiful and unusual merchandise. I cannot understand the negative and in my opinion very vindictive review titled "pretentiousness personified" below, they clearly must have eaten at a different restaurant?? None of my family have any negative comments to make about No 14 and we will most definitely be back soon. Highly recommended - keep up the good work :-)

1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Coming back to No14 is always a delight.The staff always have time for you even on a very busy day,you never feel rushed and their smiles set the tone for the yummy swirl scones and coffee we had today.I noticed a lady,on her own,reading one of the many books provided,drinking tea and listening to the very relaxing music and we got into conversation.All of use agreed no.14 gets the things right that so many other places get wrong.Long may it continue!

2  Thank Violet D