“Can't believe a cow sacrificed its life for this”
Review of The Old Thatch Inn

The Old Thatch Inn
Ranked #8 of 53 Restaurants in Magherafelt
Price range: US$4 - US$34
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Old Thatch Inn is one of the oldest pub restaurants in Northern Ireland. At the Old Thatch Inn Castledawson we offer good food at a great price. We are family orientated and cater for all.
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I hadn't been in the thatch for some time an I'm surely never going back!! Menu is of very poor choice so opted for sirloin, as well you can go wrong with steak? Well Apparently you can!!! Meal arrived swimming in juice & grease, could not distinguish any original taste of any of the food, veg or otherwise, from the soup like grease, which waitress watched me pour this onto a bowl an then walked away knowing i wa unhappy!! I also had asked for my steak to be well done but here apparently you need to ask for it to be "very very very well done" chefs own words when I complained, that it was not cooked to my liking!!! my sons irish stew was also tough and under cooked, waitress agreed after tasting, this was taken off the bill, unfortunately this still did not makeup for the poor dining experience! All in all its clear that the recession has hit the thatch leaving it a bland &
tasteless experience, one that
would be best bypassed, in favour of another local establishment not far from this establishment, best booking a table tho as you could end up sacrificing Sunday lunch for a bowl of cereal like myself!!!

1  Thank Missyd32

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Lovely food out of the thatch, although the veg could be cooked a wee bit longer bit hard but other than that it was beautiful, very friendly staff, homely atmosphere, il be back soon

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

I was recommended the restaurant by friends who dine here often. Our family of 8 had sunday lunch and it was wonderful. The waitresses were very pleasant and attentive despite the restaurant being packed. Had a lovely chat with the owner who was helping out. The food was hot and tasty and very reasonably priced. The kids were really happy with their lunch also. We will definitely be going back to the thatch soon.

1  Thank BDPMN
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Food was good and well priced, Irish Stew was very meaty and filling, comfortable seating and some connection to Seamus Heaney who apparently came from the area with a large portrait on wall.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Called here for Sunday Lunch with my husband and we were delighted with both service and quality. Excellent two course meal for under £10, and service with a smile (sense of humour too). No problem with parking, real traditional charm. No hesitation in recommending The Old Thatch Inn.

2  Thank JuneP1955