“Mostly good”

Maud's Parlour
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Magherafelt
Price range: US$5 - US$8
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I used to really enjoy meeting family or friends for coffee and cake at Mauds. I find myself checking first if there are numerous teenagers sitting in having ice-cream. They seem to be commonplace here now and the noise and bad manners from them is unbearable. The staff seem to be aware of this but as is usual these days do nothing about asking them to keep the noise level down or leave! I am now looking for a place to have a coffee in Magherafelt with a more pleasant atmosphere :)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a lovely coffee shop - very nicely decorated with friendly staff. Food is nice and the pastries are lovely. I've been here a couple of times - both around lunch time. One area for improvement is small but important - scones! One time at lunch no scones were left and the other time only a couple were left and they are quite small. Please have more scones and make them bigger!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Warm, friendly service, great snacks and ice cream, and very good tea, coffee, and hot drinks. This is your BEST choice for a coffee shop in Magherafelt. There is a variety of seating - large table for a large group, smaller tables, a little outdoor seating, and two soft, comfortable chairs in the corner.

I was in there a few times in the summer and timed my arrival once shortly after opening and was rewarded with a freshly baked warm scone with icing - fantastic accompaniment to my pot of tea, always served with a nice cup and saucer.

It is a fairly busy place, which is a good sign, but there was always room to find a chair.

Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have not actually eaten any meals in the parlour - although I am a regular visitor mostly at the weekends. We tend to take the children here at the weekend as a treat - it is a lovely coffee shop/ice cream parlor where I could easily sit all day. The decor it lovely and they have a number of large tables which easily holds all the adults and kids. The ice cream is first class and the coffee is great - all which I think are very well priced.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

The decor and location are good, but when I choose to eat out, I want it to be better than what I could make myself, but this was really basic. We ordered some toasted sandwiches, which were 2 slices of regular Hovis bread with some cheese and ham. The sandwiches were small and had no side salad, so why charge £4 in Magherafelt? I don't mind paying this kind of money, but at least try to improve the quality. We didn't have any cakes or ice-cream, but they all looked good. I don't plan to be back unless there is some improvement.