“The Forbe Arms Hotel”
Review of Forbes Arms Hotel

Forbes Arms Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Alford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I had the displeasure of staying at the Forbes Arms Hotel believe me a once only experience. the bed was as hard as nails and the rooms had a musty smell about them, the room was clean but dated. not somewhere I would be rushing back to. I did feel that it was value for money. I didn't like being asked to pick my breakfast for the following morning just as I was booking in. not that there was anything exotic on the menu.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Subman44_11

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Two families, Saturday lunch. It wasn't busy, but we were given attention by the friendly staff who were great with our kids especially. The food was reliable pub grub, but the overriding memory is the friendliness of the staff. The decor is a little dated, but we weren't eating that.

Avoid this place if you are from the Malmaison set. If you like service with a smile, it is definitely worth a try. Don't worry too much about the menu - the staff were keen to give us what we wanted rather than what was printed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AberdeenJim_W
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed here for two reasons. Firstly, I find so many Aberdeen hotels vastly overpriced and crushingly depressing, and secondly I could go fishing as the Don flows past the end of the garden.
The hotel is really nice, I'm sure my room must have been recently decorate as it looked new and was spotless. The bar is rustic thought the lounge and restaurant are light and airy.
The fishing was great, though I found out afterwards that I could have got a half day ticket for the evening I fished. Having said that, it wasn't expensive anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2013

A very small and lovely hotel located in Bridge of Alford about 1.5 miles from the city of Alford, We stayed one night here and I cant say enough about the Hotel desk person and everyone we met that night. I cant write a good enough review on this hotel I wont do them justice. Beautiful setting real close to the a river, here is the link to their web site. http://www.theforbesarmshotel.co.uk/
A small bar but it was a happening spot when we got to the hotel that evening was met in the bar as soon as we put our luggage in our rooms by a hotel worker off duty but was very helpful and polite also very quiet during the night, I didn't hear a thing except the roar of the river flowing by. I didn't meet the owners but you can tell they know their business. Thank you to all and I know you check these reviews we will be back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: Small hotel I think only 10 rooms & I didn't see any of the other rooms but was told by the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Myself and my partner dropped in for a meal on a very rainy Saturday. The welcome we got was warm and friendly and the land lady is definantly in the right job.
The food I would describe as good "pub grub" which is just what we wanted. Good portions, good quality, and good value for money. OK, is place wont get any michelin stars in the near future, however, sometimes you just want a relaxed hearty meal - and this is what you'll get here!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here after finding most other places in Abderdeen and Stonehaven fully booked. Having read the more negative reviews I was pleasantly surprised, although this is probably because I've stayed in loads of B&Bs and the Forbes Arms is perhaps better judged as this than a hotel.

We experienced friendly and helpful service. The evening meal was decent enough pub grub, if a little pricey, and breakfast was fine too. Not gourmet eating but the steak and ale pie was ok.

Room was clean and tidy, had a great view of the river and satellite TV. Slightly uneasy about the electric heaters and lack of smoke alarm in the room itself, but that's maybe just paranoia. Paid £110 for a family room, which seems just a little pricey to me.

On balance the positives outweighed the negatives and we'd stay here again if passing through.

In summary, if you're looking for a boutique hotel or a sanitised Premier Inn/Travelodge you'll be dissapointed, but if you're happy staying in pubs with rooms, or B&Bs then you'll be fine - we were.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Visited for lunch mid week. First thing seem when i step through main entrance door is a cat, complete with food dish and hair covered cat bed. First impressions? Disgusting. If I hadn't arranged to meet a friend and we had both travelled considerable distance, I would have walked straight out. Lounge bar has been refurbished but is now crammed full of old furniture. Menu limited but sufficient for lunch. Food good and arrived in good time. After chatting for a bit we asked for coffees but were advised all kitchen staff had left? Apparently they were short staffed; we were only two people in lounge, there were 2 or three people in bar. The barmaid was not capable of putting a kettle on? From the point we were served our food no one came near so would it not be better service to ask your customers if they needed anything before dismissing kitchen staff?

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank shirley m

Been to Forbes Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!