“Amazing location”
Review of Forbes Arms Hotel

Forbes Arms Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Alford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location is simply amazing - especially on a hot, sunny June evening. The rooms were OK, functional but not brilliant. The evening meal - served on the patio overlooking the River Don - was of a high standard and very reasonably priced. Unfortuneatly, breakfast left a lot to be desired. On balance, our stay was OK but expensive for what was on offer.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are above the restaurant, so quite noisy due to loud background music.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimonMags

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I won't be rushing back. Things didn't look good when I turned up there was a scribbled hand written note stuck on the front door saying there would be no food tonight, yet when the receptionist / barmaid appeared at reception she was still eating as she served me. There was no excuse or reason given as to why there would be no evening meal, yet the hotel was keen to know what I might want for breakfast.

I discovered the lack of evening meals had been going on for a couple of weeks, yet nothing appeared to be done to rectify this & supply residents with an evening meal, after all it claims to be a hotel not a hostel.

Nice location but be aware of traffic noise.

During my stay I only saw only one member of staff, who seemed to be covering reception, the bar & cooking as well as serving breakfast, perhaps that was why a smile was never to be seen.

I will not be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away form the road
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IainLyle
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family went to the hotel for a meal but when we got there the young lady behind the bar told us the chef was off I'll and there was no food we are a local family and this is not the first time this has happened I think it's a disgrace you can't even get a meal from your local hotel so we will not be going back its a joke.I don't understand people that can't even give you a meal off some sort.

Room Tip: Don't know was not staying
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 520sheila
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I booked two nights at the Forbes Arms Hotel in July expecting a quaint quiet hotel in the country. It turned out to be a noisy boozy local pub. First night was tolerable but the second was unbearable, loud drunk locals on a Saturday night partying until early hour of the morning. We had the room above the local bar at the front of the hotel so it was like having them all in our room until early hour, pity they couldn't have contributed to the bill!! This wasn't a cheap room either I was really shocked at the price 90 pounds for a room worth not more than 60. This did include breakfast which as one review described as pub grub, which I would have to agree with, but not very good pub grub. We were requested to give a time that we would be down for breakfast on check in, given the option of between 0830 to 0930 and choice of Full Scottish breakfast of continental. The hospitality was lacking, the foreign waitress/receptionist was not welcoming at all and lacking in people skills. The hotel sits in beautiful surroundings and has great history, it is such a shame this is not made the most of and is badly need of some maintenance. We paid 75 pounds for a beautiful room in a gorgeous boutique hotel just outside Glasgow, with spa bath and breakfast include, simply beautiful and is a popular wedding venue. Also in Loch Lomond a beautiful beach house room four post bed overlooking the loch, main Inn serving excellent food and great service in both, Loch Lomond room was 90 pound. Come on Forbes Arms put some passion back into your beautiful little hotel.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the front room. Don't pay more than 75 pounds for a double room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is not really a Hotel just call it a Pub for the locals it is very noisy and does not align itself to the tranquil setting. If you are unfortunate enough to be there over a weekend as we were, you may be treated to drunken behavior, and swearing courtesy of the public bar.
The hotel itself is tired and could do with upgrading; it is never worth 90.00 per night, it is very clear the owners are concentrating on managing their local trade and had no interest with hotel or its guests.
We left as soon as possible on the Sunday am did not stop for breakfast, as from my experience the previous day of poor quality and the cheapest food.
My wife and I were very disappointed I would never usually write or give feedback, but I felt I had to let people know you really do not want to stay here unless you are looking for a Blackpool experience!

Room Tip: Room 5 Terrible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RSilk2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having booked a double room by telephone a few days prior to arrival, when we arrived we were told that a single had been saved for us, not the double. But, oh, what luck! There WAS a double available - at a price much more than I had been quoted of course. As we had no option, we agreed. The room was FILTHY. The toilet had not been flushed and half drunk bottles of water were left by the kettle with half-eaten packets of biscuits. Paint was flaking off the skirting boards. We were woken in the morning by pounding "music" from below being played at an horrendous volume. Having (reluctantly) used the bathroom facilities, we went down to breakfast to find no staff anywhere in sight (we had explained we would need to leave promptly for a hospital appointment in Aberdeen). After roaming around and calling out, a sullen and rude staff member finally came to take our order. We kept it simple: porridge. We were presented (well, it was thrown down in front of us) about 20 minutes later with what I can only describe as a dish of grey mush covered in chocolate powder and strawberries!!!!! Totally inedible.
All I can say is, if you have a choice between staying here or spending the night in a tent, visit a camping shop now.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine M
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Booked here for work within Aberdeenshire area and chose Forbes Arms on late rooms that was within my budget, most hotels in and around Aberdeen are £90+ Paying £60 I wasn't expecting the Ritz and arrived to find the chef has been called to hospital earlier that day, can't be helped. Shown room and it was an average size with a single bed but was clean & comfortable. As no evening dinner served ate out in Alford and then returned to the lounge bar for evening drinks which was relaxing and was looked after by the friendly bar maid and the bar opposite had filled up. After a long day travelling I decided to head to bed only to be then asked to pay my bill!? I said I would pay in the morning but they insisted I pay before I retire to bed! Strange. My room must have been above the bar because the noise from the bar was easily heard but fortunately I was shattered and am a heavy sleeper so didn't bother me too much. Breakfast was ok, served by a friendly chef who looked to be in a tizz having to cook and serve, didn't seem to be any other staff around. I left around 8.30am and nobody around so seeing as I had already paid my bill then previous evening I left the key at reception and went on to work. So, I accept the unforeseen circumstance with the food but I think my quest to find a regular hotel to use for Inverurie/Aberdeen areas continues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Been to Forbes Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!