“Beautiful place!”

Kildrummy Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alford
“Beautiful place!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Can't comment on the rooms as we only went here for food. The area is beautiful and if it wasn't for the bad weather we would have sat outside in the garden for a drink!
Staff were friendly and the food was lovely although it is a bit fancy so if that's not your cup of tea then this may not be the place for you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Mt Martha
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for three nights in July with my wife , cousin & his wife. Accomadation, location, food, staff & weather were all amazing & we hope we will be able to go back.
Our only negative is that we thought the modern art displayed all around the property was out of character

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed for just one night to break a long journey and really wished we'd stayed longer. This was a wonderful experience, like staying in a baronial mansion. The hotel is in fact a former hunting lodge with wood panels, grand staircase and lovely grounds, friendly and helpful staff, a large comfortable room (Mill O Brux, complete with four-poster bed) and excellent food and service at dinner and breakfast. And we were entertained by a red squirrel, rabbits and various birds in the garden while we ate.

A real gem which we would certainly use again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stanleeder
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This castle hotel was beautiful. The grounds were amazing! The garden is charming and astonishing at the same time. I would highly recommend this place.

Also, our dinner was fabulous. We ate at the castle's restaurant! Everything was cooked to perfection!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Kildrummy Castle Hotel for two nights.It is under new management and having stayed there before, I was disappointed. The practice whereby you have to pay for meals as you go, including breakfast, is not good. There were new dining room staff which led to a mix up with my dinner order. I was not able to charge my meals to my hotel bill.
The location is superb and the grounds are lovely but needing a lot of maintenance. No lift but case was carried up. I hope the new owners review the meal charging and that staff training is instituted

Room Tip: Rooms that look onto the garden and castle.
Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 301LizzieB
Belgium
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Its located in a remote area next the old castle ruin, great views fom te garden towards the old castle , it’s a nice old hunting lodge, the interior is well maintain with the original 1900 wooden decoration, de food quality in the restaurant was excellent and that’s where the best part stops.
They did not noted our advance dinner booking so we ended up as the last ones at the table, after the dinner a big surprise that all guests had to pay the drinks and dinner before leaving the dining room and it was like chaos .
It took a very long time to get the bill at our table , the waiters did the utmost but after a long day driving we really would to go to sleep , tired of waiting we left the dining room and after waiting again at the front desk we finally received our bill . Very unusual that it was not possible to charge this bill on the room bill or pay it at check out , they did not accept Amex and I had to pull out some cash , very annoying .

We had booked for 2 nights but up on arrival I asked the French lady if we could cancel the 2e night since I had to change our travel plans for the next day, no problem at all. I double-checked it again with her later on again, asking again if there was no consequence with that cancelation, no, no problem at all , so I confirmed our meeting for the next day at Inverness.
On check out the next morning there was another French lady at the front desk , she presented me the room bill and they charged us for two full nights , big surprise ,told here about my agreement with the other lady the day before but no avail, this ended up in an unpleasant discussion , waving with the company policy and other client unfriendly arrogant arguments but our agreement for the trouble free cancelation with the lady at check in did not count at all ,a rip off well organised ,I finally had to pay for two nights .

Looks like the place is run with French arrogance and not with usual English charm or friendliness, but they don’t care, most guests are staying here only one time anyway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank EddieBelgium
Brussels Belgium
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had wanted to stay at this hotel for such a long time - finally got my chance during our visit to Scotland in May 2014! It is beautiful in every way. We were greeted so warmly by the efficient staff - true Scottish hospitality! My only complaint was the very small bed (full size, which shrinks considerably next to 6'4" husband). We had dinner at the hotel, a lovely romantic meal followed by a walk in the gardens that are next to the hotel property. Don't miss these! They are small but absolutely stunning! The Kildrummy ruins also deserve an explore!

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the beds before you book a room. Not an issue if you're traveling alone, o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alford
Douneside House
Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch Suites
Thainstone House
Thainstone House
#1 of 5 in Inverurie

Been to Kildrummy Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!