“Worst food we have ever been served”
Review of Lochcarron Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lochcarron
Lochcarron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lochcarron
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Worst food we have ever been served”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stopped in at the Lochcarron Hotel for lunch, it was extremely quiet apart from a couple of locals, bar staff weren't particularly attentive. The menu looked ok I ordered pea & ham soup with crusty bread and my boyfriend ordered a lunch platter of assorted meats, fresh bread and homemade pickles. When the food arrived the soup was so salty it was inedible and almost had an off taste. Rob's platter was a slice of fatty ham and a couple of pieces of salmon, along side this was a huge chunk of plastic cheddar, a boiled egg with a black yolk and a dollop of Branston Pickle. It was awful we mentioned to the lady who served us and like a flash she said ok no charge!
I have never eaten anywhere where I wanted to walk out without paying, Awful!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Inverness
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We didn't stay here, but ate lunch in the restaurant....and wish we hadn't! Firstly we came in and I couldn't see any staff around, found a woman stood behind a reception bit at the bar, I asked if we just helped ourselves to a table and she barely even nodded. So took that as yes. We helped ourselves to a couple of tables and put them together as we were in a small group, while she stayed put, no menus given, so again helped ourselves. Shortly after she took our order (just mains) and it took almost an hour for them to eventually come, there was only 8 of us, but had to wait about 10 mins between the first meal coming out to the last one. One of the meals was spaghetti bolognaise and although the pasta was cooked fine, the meat on top was stone cold as if it had just been taken straight out of the fridge. Another customer walked by us and said the exact same had happened to his Spag bol the previous night. After a quick blast in the microwave it arrived back, hot enough to eat but tasting awful. My sister refused to eat it! The fish wasn't good either, tasted bad.....and as for the carrots served with the meal....uuhhh. The waitress said they had no dressing or anything, but they were the worst tasting carrots I have ever tried in my life..... The burger was ok and the steak pies tasted fine, although only a couple of bits of steak in them. But never once did the waitress ask if everything was okay, despite seeing several of the plates were left untouched. Also there was a couple of dogs roaming round where we were eating (nice friendly dogs) but not so hygienic where food is being served. It's just a shame as we were treating out dad out to lunch for father's day, but had to pop into the chippie in Kyle afterwards to get something half decent!!!! This place has the potential to do really well as it's in a lovely location, but between the food and the service it's very let down.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Wilma M
Preston_traveler
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We Stopped for 1 night in April while passing through.

It's hard to be critical as we actually enjoyed our stay, but I have to be fair to other people who respect these reviews.....

We had a really fun stay, a great night in the bar, the locals are very friendly, as are the owners and staff, the beer and other drinks were good quality and reasonably priced. The were 2 nice dogs in the bar, I love dogs and they were friendly labradors so we were very happy with that (it all added to the atmosphere.... warm, fun and friendly & the dogs stayed away from the restaurant area).
The food was superb, I had the steak pie and it was one of the best i have had.
There are 3 areas to view of the lochcarron hotel.

1: Food = Very Good
2: Bar atmosphere = Great if you like a good warm hearted local.
3: Maintenance = Epic Fail.

It does great on the first 2 but fails misserably on the 3rd. Our Room (costing £83, shoud have cost no more than £50 in it's current condition) was warm and dry, with clean outsourced sheets) however the whole accomodation is in need of a full refit (it's beyond a good clean) We enjoyed our 1 night stay, but would not have stayed here for a week.

Anybody, even if your not staying the night, could look at the Gents toilets. this might be enough to put people of eating here (Thankfully we met the chef, who seemed clean, well presented and was obvioulsy not in charge of general maint or cleaning outwith his kitchen, so i hope the back of house standard are different)
I have to add .... The Restaurant/breakfast area seemed very clean and well presented.!

I've done my best to leave a fair review as a whole, had we had not enjoyed our evening in the bar or eaten here then i would have had to score it a lot worse.

We managed to have a laugh at some of the facilities in our room though, cellotape holding up the shower curtain rail, along with a strand of "sink plug chain" screwed to the ceiling haha (see pics)

It wasnt all bad, so dont be put off a short stay, just expect large bunkhouse rooms, not in with normal hotel standards.

Room Tip: Might be a lotto
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Preston_traveler
Corfu, Greece
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I don't know that I'd like to spend a week here, but for an overnight stay it was fine. It is undeniably a bit run-down, and a spot of refurbishment wouldn't go amiss. However, on the plus side: the welcome is very friendly; the bar meal we had was good; the room was fine (though the Hotel Inspector would have had something to say about the lack of dusting!); there were three excellent real ales on offer and a good range of malt whisky; the view is pretty good; and car parking is easy. Would I use it again? Probably yes.

Room Tip: Room 8 is a comfortable double with a nice view of Loch Carron. It was also well heated.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
INVERNESS
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My partner has just bought a house in North Strome and we have called in twice for something to eat Although the hotel needs updating the staff are very friendly and the selection and the food ha when staying up there we will be sures been super both times should try the smoked haddock omellete it was excellent we will be sure to use it again and again
Joyce Plent
Inverness

Room Tip: looks a little tired from the outside but do try the food
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank joycemacrae
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Where do we begin!!!! Entrance dirty, bucket of rubble in doorway. Horrible smell. Filthy carpets and rugs. Looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in years!!!!! Reception in bar full of drunks even though it was only 5.00 pm. Everyone turned and looked when I said I had booked a room. Something from a horror film. Given key not shown to room. Corridors run down and dirty, carpets filthy. Wood work round doors unfinished. Room very very basic, old furniture, felt grubby. I'd rather have been camping. Bathroom filthy dreadful condition. Just appalling, words can not describe it, We had booked for two nights and instantly booked alternative accommodation. Looking back we should have just left. We ate out at the local Bistro which was really really good. Slept, then bearable breakfast but dinning area was dirty, grubby plates and more. Felt dirty. Owner served in same clothes as night before stinking of drink and fags. Next night spent in a beautiful hotel with great atmosphere and it cost ten pounds less !!!!!! Horrendous experience, from start to finish apart from a wonderful meal and fantastic service at the bistro. This is the first review I have ever written in my life about any product and it reflects how strongly I feel about my stay. DO NOT GO.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Edna654321f
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had been driving and visiting castles all morning so when we pulled into Lochcarron, we were too early to check in. Nigel assured us that the room would be ready and it was when we returned form Applecross hours later. The inn is historic in that it was a drover's inn back in the day and they have attempted to keep it in that feeling. The halways are a little cramped but the room was sufficient and the view across the loch was fantastic. We had dinner in the dining room-good grub especially the apple crumble with vanilla ice cream. Breakfast was the full Scottish meal-complete with black pudding if you wanted.
There were 2 labs circulating at all times but Nigel had them under control and they did not bother anybody. They have their own sofa and you could tell it's their home.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beverly B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochcarron
The Torridon
#1 of 2 in Talladale
Tingle Creek Hotel
Tingle Creek Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erbusaig

Been to Lochcarron Hotel? Share your experiences!