“Great beers 🍻 and views !”

The Old Forge Public House
Ranked #13 of 20 things to do in Mallaig
More attraction details
Owner description: Mainland Britain's remotest Pub - Guinness Records. Open all year, creel catches daily landings of loch nevis langoustines, hand dived scallops, estate venison, homemade soups puds and organic breads. 2 real Ales, 11 moorings and showers. Fresh coffee ground to order lattes espressos etc. Open fire, folk music sessions, bring your own instruments or use ours. Midge cream essential! Award winning seafood and great beer. info@theoldforge.co.uk satnav PH414PL 01687 462267
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

We got the ferry ⛴ and had an hour to kill on Inverie. Thought to stop here for a beer and since the sun was shining we could even sit outside on the benches and take in the stunning views!

It is said that it is the Remotest Pub on Mainland Britain. We made the journey on the ferry and it was a spectacular ride from Mallaig.

All reviews
"loch"
in 4 reviews
"journey"

Reviewed 16 June 2017

We had an evening meal and a good time. The seafood was good but the portions were a bit small and it isn't cheep (£40 sea food platter). The muscles were the best bit in my opinion. The menu was limited which I think is no bad thing. The only issue was that several items on the limited menu weren't available. For example the desert menu is cheese and biscuits or ice cream. When we went there was no cheese left.

We went on a boat and used the mooring. This is a good facility but I did have some doubts about how well maintained they might be. The pickup bouy had been replaced with a milk bottle on our bouy.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

I do understand about the remoteness, and that therefore prices are expensive but I felt the prices were quite high for both food and drink.

We eat no meat and very little fish, and there were no vegetarian options. So we requested soup, chips and salad, but were pressured into having a full meal. And I do understand that - they have to make a living. But it wasn't what we wanted. Having said that, the scallops were delicious.

Some other reviews have said the owner was unwelcoming. My husband and I chatted to him for a while and I got the impression that, as a European investing his money and his life in the UK, he was just really dismayed about Brexit and the political chaos going on at the moment. I couldn't really disagree with him!

Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

A pub in a great location but not fulfilling it's potential. The atmosphere was flat, the choice of food was very limited and the windows were dirty. We were told booking was essential even though the pub was almost empty. I visited here 11 years ago and the whole place was full of life with a great atmosphere and the heart of the community. It is a tragedy that this is now a distance memory. I would not recommend the Old Forge.

3  Thank Fat_hillwalker
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 April 2017

My son and I just visited on the last day of a 5 day hike. Arrived soon after opening - 3pm and closed Wednesdays, and and spent a very nice hour drinkling lovely Grimbergen beer and chatting to the charming and friendly Belgian owner. No local beers were on that day as supplies were awaited and there is no food until 6ish the menu looked great and although we had to take a mid afternoon ferry back to Mallaig and a train home will definitely visit again. Knoydart, Inverie and the Forge are too nice.