“Below average food and Lazy staff”

The Fishmarket Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 13 Restaurants in Mallaig
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My wife and i had the misfortune of eating here last week. After walking in at 8.05pm we were told that there was only 15 mins of service left (even though the sign says until 9) and yes i know they reserve the right to shut early but not with attitude because from that point on we just felt unwelcomed, a hindrance and rushed with our meal as if they just wanted rid of us so they could lock up. The two waitresses and the chef lent on the counter elbows propping up their heads one of them actually started yawning. As for the food, we ordered the haddock, which only came breaded(first time we've never had the option of battered in a fish restaurant) I guess it's because it's the easiest for the lazy chef. Anyway, the breaded haddock came, looking suspiciously identical to each other in size,shape and texture as if they were straight out the freezer and heated up. They were served with oven chips(again, the easiest way) and a boring un-imaginative undressed side salad. All in all, a very unpleasant experience and in our opinion if you want to witness good chefs at work go to the Cornerstone or the Western hotel up the hill where the professional waitresses welcome you with open arms and certainly don't slouch around yawning.

7  Thank Sg25080
fish m, Manager at The Fishmarket Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Having read this disgraceful review, I would like to add if it's not possible for you to write a truthful review it would be better NOT to write a review.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We were on the Jacobite Steam Train from Fort William and on one of the leaflets were some ideas of where to eat/drink when we arrived at Malaig. One of them being the above coffee shop. As it was very close to the station we thought we would give it a try.
It was very easy to find, right next to The Fish Market restaurant up a flight of stairs.
The first thing we noticed was it was very small and unlike in the leaflet, there were no harbour views. There was approx seating for about 30 people at a push but very cramped seating.
We all ordered a hot drink and I opted for a toasted sandwich while the other members of my party had sandwiches.
The food and drinks came out promptly, well presented and freshly made.
The drinks and the food were really nice and you could tell everything was very fresh indeed.
However when we went to pay it was a total of £35 which for a coffee shop I found to be a little overpriced.
All in all a nice little coffee shop with nice fresh food but am unlikely to recommend due to the high pricing and cramped seating.

1  Thank PaulCGB
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great fish, if you want anything else then you should eat somewhere else. Loved the Scallops and the langoustines. However the desert was a bit disappointing, possibly one of the poorest cranachans I have had, soggy oatmeal mixed into the cream, frozen raspberries and absent whiskey.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Having frequented the Fishmarket Restaurant many times over the years this visit will be our last . We have always expected it to be on the pricey side but previously the quality has made this acceptable . On this occasion we were bitterly disappointed . Firstly when we asked what one of the special fish dishes was the waitress said I don't know and didn't offer to find out . Then when my G & T arrived without any lemon or lime alarm bells began to sound in my head . We proceeded to order the Scallop starter which was nice apart from having a 80's style side salad - iceberg lettuce some tomatoes and peppers . For the £9.50 price I expect better and more original . Both my partner and myself then had the Monkfish Red Thai Curry . For £20 this should have been spectacular - not so a pool of Thai curry sauce which was nothing special with a few pieces of over poached monkfish plonked in the middle which made no attempt to even pretend it may have been marinading in the spices or even cooked in the sauce for any length of time . Accompanied with a standard timbale of boiled rice and guess what ? Another bowl of the same boring side salad we had been served with our starter . Perhaps worse this it was 3/4 iceberg lettuce with just some tomatoes and peppers thrown on the top . No place for iceberg lettuce in a restaurant in 2014 . Not impressed ! Add to that the waitresses laughing and pointing to the locals outside this did not feel like the dining experience we felt we were paying for . It's a shame as it was a favourite but we won't be returning .

6  Thank ruandsu
fish m, Manager at The Fishmarket Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

The compliments we receive in our restaurant for how fresh and delicious our food is, as all our food is fresh and freshly prepared, I am shocked at your review, I would say it is our preference as to what lettuce and salad we use, I can assure you iceberg lettuce is my personal preference, I am also shocked at the comments you have made about our well trained friendly staff, quite a disgraceful review.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We just got in to what was a quite venue. Folks turned up after us and were turned away at 8:45pm, how sad. The food was very good but they need to wake up to the customers needs!