“Best chips I've ever tasted.”

West Highland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mallaig
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

From the outside I wasn't expecting much but the interior was much, much nicer. Very friendly and accommodating waitress/ receptionist. Went for fish and chips while those I was with opted for mussels. Both the fish and mussels were great - super fresh of course and the mussels were amongst the biggest I've seen. The real highlight though was the chips. I've eaten a lot of chips in my life and one bite in I was immediately contemplating that they could be the best chips I've ever had. The second confirmed it. Crispy outsides and heavenly fluffy insides. Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Finn B
There are newer reviews for West Highland Hotel

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have known this hotel for 35 years as we used to park a car or two for 2 weeks, whilst we went fishing. We always called in for a couple of beers and lunch and on our return home to collect cars, we used to have a good breakfast in the hotel.
Knowing I was going to arrive late in Mallaig and could not get a boat transfer, I actually stayed for 1 night for the first time. I had a spacious en-suite room and a very good cooked breakfast. I thought this was good value for money. I personally found the staff friendly and helpful.
Mallaig is a gateway to the Western Isles and therefore I would presume that the hotel staff can not get to know guests as they only stay 1-2 nights. Compared to when anyone holidays in the same hotel for a week or more, when staff can get to know your preferences.
Mike W.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A perfectly respectable hotel, well located for rail and ferry services in Mallaig. The ground floor has been much renovated, and are pretty impressive. The bedrooms were a bit tired, but still comfortable enough and basically equipped.

Breakfast was good and plentiful, and overall this is a good place to spend a night either working your way upwards to Skye or downwards to Fort William and beyond.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I only called this review 'No problem' as that was the standard staff response to most of requests made - mine and those I overheard. Such requests ought not to be a problem in a hotel really but I know am being over picky but I just heard it so much. S

I had a good stay here and would love to return, It is very comfortable and clean. The twin room was of a good size (and a great view) with a just large enough en-suite. Wi-fi does not reach the bedrooms but one can hire a 3G dongle at an expensive £10 per night,

While I was there there was party of people who thought everybody should get up when they did so were no holds barred in the corridors. I hope you are luckier and I can't blame the hotel for that.

Breakfast was OK - I didn't test the cook further than poached eggs that were a little overdone and too wet (with water). The cold selection was quite poor I thought and would probably disappoint visitors from abroad. I imagine they have kippers but perhaps they make the guests eating those sit elsewhere as I didn't smell any at all.

The bar is amazing if you fancy trying a range of single malts. It's a short walk to the railway station, just as well if you are carrying a heavy bag as it's up a fairly steep hill and then steps.

Mallaig itself doesn't offer much other than several ways to escape, mainly by sea. Arriving )or escaping :-) ) by rail gives the most wonderful ever-changing landscapes though.

Room Tip: The front overlooks the bay or Strait.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Undoubtedly this Hotel deserved the Two Stars it boasts at some time but it is now somewhat tired and in need of refurbishment. The premises are well situated in easy access for the train, ferry and by road. Parking is a little limited and somewhat awkward. Disabled access is non existent, there are steps at the front and stairs to the bed-rooms. The staff are pleasant but do not appear to go out of their way other than the normal politeness required. Rooms are more than adequate. The Restaurant has a modest menu, if on a dinner, bed and breakfast tariff, check on the extra charges displayed and ensure that the staff know exactly what you are ordering, Interpretation of some requirements can be a little cavalier, in the Hotels favour.

Room Tip: Check room details etc when booking.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a lovely lunch of scallops and languistines. Friendly people were able to take the dog in and sat in conservatory with lovely views we didn't let the rain bother us. Had an enjoyable afternoon. The train ride there was spectacular!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rammy66
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have just returned from an idyllic few days in the West Highlands where we wers based at this Hotel 'par excellence'. It proved to be ideal for my Wife and I with our 2 friends. We recieved a lovely 'Welcome' and from then on recieved 1st class treatment by Pamela and her staff. We were fed on exquisite food with endless choices of Fresh Seafood, delightfully cooked. We were comfortable in our rooms and well looked after by the all the Staff.
If we were to mention very small points then it would be the, at times. poor reception on TV and the temperamental lock on the room door!!!! All the many 'Pluses' more than made up for these small points.
The sunny clear weather we enjoyed out the icing on our cake with such magnificent views everywhere we looked. We have never seen the Highlands look better in all our travels in this beautiful part of Scotland.

Room Tip: Sea View Front have Magnificent Views over the Islands of Canna, Rhum, Eigg and Muck.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Will M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mallaig
Morar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Arisaig
Old Library Lodge And Restaurant
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
Mingarry Park Luxury Accommodation & Restaurant

Been to West Highland Hotel? Share your experiences!