“Atrocious hostel”

Mallaig Backpackers Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mallaig
Mallaig Backpackers Lodge
“Atrocious hostel”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

This hostel is terrible. In my month of backpacking around Europe and the UK, this place took the cake for the worst place I've stayed. The rooms are dirty and smell as though there is a horrible fungus growing in them. The bathrooms double as showers, which would be fine except that the floor drains don't always work, leading to a soup on the floor of the whole bathroom composed of everyone's dirt and shower-scum.

Worst if all, there's no security. The door to the whole hostel is left unlocked and unguarded until 11.30pm, at which point it shuts and won't let anyone in. There are also no mechanisms for securing your things (lockers, safes, etc) within the hostel itself.

This is a terrible place. Just get a b and b.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eitan S
Sheena H, Owner at Mallaig Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Sir,
This is obviously a malicious review. Owners, management and staff are always available to deal with any problems. Any sane person wouldn't have stayed with this supposed multitude of problems.

Our rooms are spotlessly clean as commented often in our visitors book. The bathrooms are wet rooms and don't double as anything, also highly praised in our visitors book.

Regarding security - 23 theft free years speaks for itself. What a sad world you live in Sir.
Front door is locked at 11:30pm and late keys are always available
So many problems and not a mention to any member of staff, very odd and very creepy !

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I booked a bed in the hostel over the phone using my visa card (was charged £1 fee for this). They didn't take my contact details so I had to assume that everything would be ok. I arrived at 11.30pm off the train. Luckily I knew where I was going. But even so I arrived at the cafe looking for the entrance to the hostel. There is no signage to tell you where to go. I just had to take a leap of faith and venture up a flight of stairs which led to a kitchen. There was no one there and no sign that I should ring a bell or try contact the warden. As it was very late, I decided to try find myself a bed in one of the two dormitories. When I came back in the kitchen a man appeared from another door and asked me if I had come off the train and how I knew to find a bed. He then confirmed that I had pre-paid but that he needed to track down other people who had arrived as they had't paid. I found his attitude really blunt, not at welcoming. I later found other people off the same train had difficulty finding the hostel and likewise confused. The hostel itself is fine with a nice wee lounge overlooking the pier. The dormitories are basic but fine. There's only two shower/toilet rooms so you need to careful not to coincide having a shower when there's lots of other people wanting the same. Overall, I'd only stay here if absolutely necessary. The lack of signage and complete lack of welcome puts me off this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank edels
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Very difficult to book so have chosen somewhere else to stay in Mallaig. Tried to phone to make a booking and then was told to write to them to reserve a place as the phone line they said was very bad. So I wrote to them only to be told to phone them again! Make up your mind!! So I am now staying in another other place and they were so pleasant over the phone, helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Doogal12
Carnoustie
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I also can't understand the negative comments and low scores.

The location is excellent, with the railway station all but next door and the ferry terminal less than five minutes' walk away, and a supermarket, a pub and a bank as near neighbours.
It's not the cheapest hostel ever, but all commodities cost more in far-flung places (just compare the supermarket and fuel prices to those in central-belt Scotland to see how much higher costs are), and it's obvious that there's been considerable investment in its facilities.

The bunks are comfy and the wet-room showers are not just superb, but soundly ecological since they're geo-thermally heated as part of the owners' striving for a zero-carbon footprint. The small kitchen/diner is well equipped, and for those who don't want to cook, the attached tea room, tea garden and restaurant offer good food at reasonable prices throughout the day from 09:00 to 19:00. These are often very busy, but the hard-working and friendly staff are always on hand to help lodge visitors when they arrive.

I spent three nights there, and everybody else who came and went during that time seemed as happy as I was. My one tip would be that since there are only two showers between a maximum of twelve people, it's worth finding out who's leaving when in the morning so that those leaving early aren't held up by others who are leaving later and could let them go first.

Highly recommended for those on a budget who wish to explore the area or need an overnight stop for a transfer between road or rail and the ferries. I'll certainly be staying there next time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon T
Cumbria, England
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Centrally situated with shops and pubs all close by, this hostel can offer a cost effective bed with kitchen facilities, and two wet room type showers. The dorm we were in had 3 bunks, and was in fact mixed on that night which wasn't a problem. There is a TV lounge and I found it to have a very friendly and helpful chap in charge. I never asked his name but there was no need to know?
Two of us arrived in the rain on two motorbikes which for security, at the proprietors suggestion on our request, were stored behind the locked gates of the adjourning café's external terrace. Our man was roused by way of an agreed ring of the bell to open the gate in order that we could get the early ferry to Sky. Would I stay again? Yes, if ever the need arises :)

Room Tip: If you were to request something at the time of booking, I'm sure you would find the response to...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I really don't understand some of the negative reviews posted here. The lodge was comfortable and very well situated. We bookended a trip to the Isle of Rum with nights at this hostel and it fit the bill perfectly. Like in any hostel, you are somewhat reliant on sharing space with other (hopefully considerate) people. The facilities were good, particularly the showers and the kitchen, and the staff were helpful. If you are looking for or expecting airs and graces then don't stay at a hostel. If you are looking for a warm bed and good facilities in a great location then you would do well to choose Mallaig Backpackers Lodge.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

...much choice when it comes to hostels in Mallaig. This is it and to be honest I can't understand the low scores from previous postings. I arrived at a busy time and most of the staff were obviously busy serving customers in the restaurant. They asked me to dump my stuff and get me later. That was fine by me. The place was very clean with a small sitting room and decent kitchen. I went back later on when it was much quieter and the staff where fine. The only negative was that there really isn't enough showers. I went pretty late on in the season so it was a bit quieter and even then had a bit of a wait on a shower (the toilet was getting renovated).
I've read a post saying that it was top notch money for a hostel. I agree. I couldn't get in once and had to stay in a hotel costing £45 a night. I was amazed at given the position of Mallaig that there weren't tons of hostels.

Room Tip: Get up early if you want a shower otherwise forget it.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mallaig
West Highland Hotel
The Prince's House Hotel
The Prince's House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Glenfinnan
Hotel Eilean Iarmain

Been to Mallaig Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!