“A wonderful and welcoming place for a getaway!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torrin
Skye Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Torrin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed here in early April and, despite the drizzly Scottish weather, had the best time! Mairi and Angus were so warm & welcoming and treated us like their own family (who were also staying there that weekend). They are such a lovely, friendly couple and the Skye Mountain lodge felt like a cosy home away from home. The rooms are wonderfully finished in scottish style and because of the gloomy weather we spent many hours cosied on the landing overlooking the mountain with our cups of tea, whiskey and red wines.

On one of the milder days we went for a walk along the coast, which was reccommended by Angus, and saw stunning, rugged scenery and historical sites of Skye. This is the perfect place to get away from it all and enjoy some real, rugged scenery while being able to retreat to the comforts of home.

Also, I can't finish the review without mentioning Mairi's breakfasts. They are just delicious and will set you up for a good days hike up a moutain!

Thank you for a wonderful time Mairi and Angus and we would love to come again when we are back in Scotland.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HollyBavaria

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I took pot luck on booking a bed and breakfast accommodation whilst on business in Skye for a few days...and WOW....I certainly choose the right place for so many reasons.
The rooms are amazing, the views spectacular but best of all the hospitality of Marie and Angus is second to none.
Warm, caring people and I have come away with so many happy memories and laughs. They are helping me promote my business and I am looking forward in returning in 2 weeks :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Gladys333
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I booked a double room at this b&b because of its location on the road to Elgol, where we intended to take part in a boat trip to the scenic Loch Coruisk. This is a very remote (and beautiful) area of the Isle of Skye,where only a few accomodation options can be found. Actually,after reading some negative reviews on Tripadvisor, we were at first a bit concerned about staying here, but now I can say that this was without reason. We spent two nights in the Cuillin room, which is spacious and very confortable, with a huge bed and a wonderful power shower. But what we absolutely loved about the house, is the absolutely stunning view from every window, both in our bedroom and in the breakfast room! Our host, Mairi
was very friendly and nice and helped us to book a very good restaurant in Breakish ( "The Red Sky", near Broadford) and checked for us by phone about availability of boat trips to Loch Coruisk. Breakfast was hearty and tasty: we really loved the creamy scrambled eggs! If you have your own car (due to remotness), love the wild and appreciate spectacul scenery and peace, this is the right place for you. We definitely would stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views to Loch Slapin and the surrounding hills
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Illy67Cremona
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Didn't even have time to step into the house and she was already demanding the money from us. Suprised we gave her the money (mind you we had already paid an advance).
We also tried to spend the night in peace. Not once did she leave our sides, when we tried to have a little rest she would come annoy us (not in a friendly kind of way).
To make it brief, she wasn't very kind, threatened to take us to the police because we didn't pay the moment we stepped into the house, and certainly NOT worth the price!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hibernus
Mairi M, Owner at Skye Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

I feel this is an unfair and unjust reflection of their experience of Skye Mountain Lodge, especially as one of the members remarked during their stay "That Scottish people are kind and friendly" after the warm hospitality given during their stay. Unfortunately even at this stage, over a week after their stay, they have still failed to settle their outstanding balance on the accommodation and a personal cash loan given due to their unusual circumstances.

In accordance with standard procedure a deposit had been paid prior to their arrival. On arrival the group had made it known that they had encountered inclement weather on the Skye Trail. They stated that they were tired, very hungry, one suffering from a knee injury and another had a heavy cold. They appeared polite and well mannered and I intended to care for them in much the same way as I have done in the past with my own sons after they came off the hill. The following is an account of their stay.

At the request of one of the group, I provided a lift to the local shop 7 miles away to purchase groceries. At the checkout I was asked if I could purchase their personal groceries to the amount of £38.08. I found this an unusual request. However, taking into account their unusual circumstances I happily obliged on the understanding that it would be added to the final bill.
At no point during their stay did I mention Police.
At their request, again very unusual, I allowed the group full access to my kitchen at approximately 2000hrs to prepare their own meal. Bearing in mind this is B&B and not self catering facility.
I provided a lemon and honey drink and hot water bottle for the person with the heavy cold.
I provided an ice pack to the person with the injured knee.
At approximately 2200hrs there was a further request for hot milk to prepare a hot chocolate, which was certainly not a problem. At this point a request was made for an early departure and so we agreed to settle the bill at that point. This financial transaction was not successful, as it seemed that their card was not compatible with our system.
I found this a little curious as they had no problems paying the deposit. However, I agreed to meet them in Broadford at 1600hrs the following day. This was a place and time of their convenience, in order that they may settle their outstanding balance including the groceries I had bought for them.
After meeting them in Broadford, at the stated time, they had still been unsuccessful in securing the funds to settle the balance.
After an explanation from one of the members that their cards worked at a local RBS branch. I agreed to offer them a lift to the branch in Kyle a further 7 miles but unfortunately again this had been unsuccessful.
Taking into account that they had an imminent travel arrangements, I agreed to exchange details in order to resolve the situation, at later time. Despite having agreed to call me with an update or resolution at lunch time the following day, they failed to contact over the next two days.

The money was not the real issue. My main concern was their well being, comfort and extending Highland hospitality. On reflection, I know they enjoyed a good dinner, a hearty breakfast and slept well despite their ailments. Unfortunately, even at this stage I still haven't received the outstanding balance from their stay, including the amount for their personal groceries which I had paid for in good faith. My only fear is that having received such a review after the care I had shown to these young men, is that they don't detract from all the lovely memories I have from the excellent people I have met during this summer and have stayed at Skye Mountain Lodge. Which I'm sure it won't.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Spent 3 nights here in early September with great weather which always helps.We stayed in the Cullen room which was very good with wonderful views out over the mountains, very nice breakfast with lots to choose from. Would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank polly1952
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Fantastic view from the Lodge, terrific hospitality and great breakfast. Room was clean, modern and comfortable. We really enjoyed ourselves and would love to go back to Skye. Mairi and Angus were helpful with ideas and made an excellent restaurant reservation for us.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank djtw8
Reviewed 6 September 2013

What an amazing place. The photos don't do it justice and it's hard to capture in a review just what a great experience we had.

We went as one of three couples so took up all three of the available bedrooms. Each one was beautiful with an excellent bathroom (no surprise when we found out the house is self built by the family, which includes Dad, who is a specialist plumber and heating engineer). We also enjoyed the communal space between the bedrooms with hot drinks and comfy chairs.

Mari and Angus are lovely people, enthusiastic to share the beautiful Isle of Skye, and clearly proud to offer a beautiful B&B and a delicious breakfast.

On our second night we were up late talking, the six of us, and being a little noisey. We really appreciated getting a clear and blameless request from Mari to keep the volume down, which of course we honoured. And then the following morning Angus gave the stragglers a rousing call to breakfast of Scottish pipe music on the HiFi! It was payback, but dealt with such love and warmth.

I genuinely can't fault the B&B and for us, the welcome and warmth we received from the family was second to none.

For anyone not looking for a break from the mobile (though, why would you go to Skye, frankly), there is absolutely no signal in Torrin. Skye Mountain Lodge does have WiFi, though, but be warned, this is a remote place and it's not fast! If you can't live without a screen, take some DVDs - the rooms have TVs with DVD player built in.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank CorkyCorky

Been to Skye Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!