“Nice, but not what I expected for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Castle Inn

and 1 more site!
The Castle Inn
Fredericton, Canada
“Nice, but not what I expected for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed this past weekend in the Edinburgh room. Although the room was nice and the bed was very comfortable, I didn't feel it matched the price. The advertised view from this room was completely blocked by trees. I have stayed in hotels with comparable amenities for almost half the price and staff were on site during the night. We were given a key to the outside door in case we went out after the staff had left for the evening. The pool area is very nice visually. The deterrent is the pool water is colder than river water. The hot tub is too hot, registering at 103 Fahrenheit. A staff member came into the pool area to check that the outside doors were locked because staff were leaving for the night. From the reviews I read, I expected fine dining. It was far from it and expensive for what we were served. Maple salmon had only a hint of maple. The 4 mini potatoes had zero flavor. When my "modern" white plate was sat in front of me, I could see more plate than food. I am okay with that, but it could have been decorated nicely. Absolutely no presentation for the dishes. Even a little parsley goes a long way. No bread sticks or rolls. My partners seafood pasta was bland.
If the room prices were lower and the food was better, I would recommend.

Room Tip: Edinburgh room is nice, with a small electric fireplace. Bed is awesome. Don't expect to see t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FreddyGal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Haverhill,Ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night and even though there isn't much around in the town, this inn is a hidden gem up on the hill. We were plesantly surprised by how lovely and spacious the rooms were. The bed was so comfy, the bathroom very large with a separate circular shower and a large jacuzzi tub. We had an issue with a "chirping" smoke alarm and they had an electrician come immediatly and change it. We ate dinner in the dining room. We felt it was a bit pricey but food was good and the service was too. We left early the next morning and our only downside was the breakfast was continental with only boxes of cereal or yogurt. We were disappointed with that. They don't have anyone stay at the inn overnight which made me a bit nervous but nothing happened. Thee is a small gym and a very nice indoor pool and hottub. Beautiful setting for a wedding.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Irishprincess2
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

Tastefully elegant. Rooms are well designed. Decor js imaginative, comfortable and attractive. Staff is friendly and professional. New chef is delightful, creative and competent. Food is very good. Setting is charming.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RayMattern
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed there before and kinda liked it.
The second time around, I was the only guess and arrived to find all doors closed. It was 7:00pm and there was no one to let me in.
I then called their number and the person on the phone said I didn't have a reservation in a way that made me feel I was bothering her.
Someone, the cook, came to let me in a few minutes later. He found my name on the book and gave me my room key.

The morning after, I was leaving for work and a lady stopped me as I was getting into my car. She demanded I came back to the lobby and give her my credit card information. My employer had already pre-paid for 3 nights.
I then decided to pack my stuff and check out.
Why was no body expecting me the night before while I was the only customer?
How could the lady not see I had a reservation as I was myself able to read my own name on their list at the lobby?
Even if she couldn't find my name on her list, why didn't she try to ask for clarification before she ask me to pay for the room?

My only explanation is the boss must have not been around and their reservation system needs some re-thinking.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yahney
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We have stayed at the Castle inn on several occasions and never been disappointed. The setting is amazing, the restaurant serves delicious food, there is a bar, pool, sunroom, steam room, IR sauna, hot tub, and beautiful grounds. In New Brunswick it is truly a unique experience. Looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank JOENURSE1
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

My sister and I stayed at this property last week and consider finding it a happy accident. The staff (including Smoky) were warm and welcoming - the charming chef even helped carry our luggage upstairs. An extra bed was brought to the room almost immediately and the whirlpool tub in the bathroom was a treat after a long day of driving. The evening meal was delectable and well presented enhanced by the wonderful views. The grounds are beautifully maintained and perfect for an after dinner stroll. Yes, the breakfast is a small self serve but the selections were adequate.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

A lovely situation, pleasant and friendly staff, and good food - that was in the evening. The next morning we were left to our own devices for breakfast in what could only be described as a dorm setting. There were no staff around to monitor, or clear up, the coffee was lukewarn and the food rudimentary. Such a shame, but now we know why our credit card was charged the previous evening - with the exception of cleaning staff, the place is deserted in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perth-Andover
Perth-Andover Motor Inn
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 4 in Grand Falls
Caribou Inn & Convention Center

Been to The Castle Inn? Share your experiences!