“Disapointing”

Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: Canadian, European, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to the Castle Inn, Restaurant & Spa located in Perth-Andover, New Brunswick Canada. An ideal destination for those wishing to escape the hectic pace of daily life, we offer 4-star Canada select accomodations situated on a hilltop overlooking the St John River on 200 acres of woodland. Perfect for a romantic couples retreat, group bookings for a family reunion, a corporate getaway, the weary business traveller, or the outdoor enthusiast, this is the perfect location for travellers in all seasons and is only minutes from the Trans-Canada Highway and the Trans-Canada Trail system used by cyclists, hikers, snowmobilers, and skiers. We are situated 1 1/2 hours north of Fredericton and are considered by many of our regular guests to be the half-way point between Montreal and Halifax.Your stay at the Castle Inn, first built in 1932 as a private residence, will be a memorable one highlighted by our eleven uniquely styled rooms, beautiful scenery, friendly service, and memorable dining. Our Scottish Chef, Christopher Cornhill, prepares the finest meals in our main-floor restaurant that is open to the public and guests alike. Stop in for dinner and a drink or stay for a few nights and make yourself at home—you’re always welcome at the Castle Inn!
Ottawa, Canada
“Disapointing”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I were here one night last the summer.
The staff barely greeted us and paid us very little attention the whole night.
We had to seek them out when we wanted service.
The 2 girls working there as serving staff spent the whole night talking to the kitchen staff instead of speak to us, the customer.
They also seemed totally unaware of how to function in their role.
Have THEY never been to a restaurant before??? It's pretty simple.
I'm not gonna waste to much time on this review, I just wanted to warn others,
The beer is cold is about the best I can say...

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank StrollTheWorld

Fredericton, Canada
“Bland food”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Sorry, but the food was not fine dining quality. Bland and poorly presented. Maple salmon had only a hint of maple. The 4 mini potatoes had zero flavor. Green beans were barely warmed and plain. The seafood pasta dish was bland as well.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank FreddyGal
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“Missing the mark on so many levels”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

From the moment we arrived I knew we were in trouble. The parking is not marked; let alone specifically a handicapped spot for my impaired father. So he parked in the upper lot and walked a great distance including down a set of stairs to get to the restaurant. Peeling paint on the outside of the building upon approach was noticed. In the handicap bathroom an industrial roll of paper towels on a barren counter (with no art on the walls) was also a first impression.
We were not welcomed by staff standing around the bar chatting. We had to initiate contact and even after indicating we had a dinner reservation were told, "find a seat anywhere". Once we selected a table complete with fake flowers in a dusty clear glass container a waitress eventually approached the table. All following comments regarding the service staff I do not find the fault of the server herself. I fault the management. I truly believe she was in over her head and inadequately trained. My Stepmom tried to order a glass of White Zinfandel which was met with "a what?". We repeated our request and she replied, "I don't know what that is." She nervously attempted to recite 4 wines they serve by the glass.
We ordered food. My father selected the walnut encrusted chicken with a blueberry reduction. My father could overlook the smallest-sized portion I have ever seen on a plate but what he couldn't tolerate was the taste (inedibly tart/sour). He sent the plate back immediately. The waitress did offer to prepare something else. My father didn't want to wait (and hence hold up the whole table) so he opted for a cup of coffee. That single cup of coffee took over 10 minutes to come to the table. What was more obvious is the fact that nothing else came to the table; i.e. a dining room manager or a chef to inquire about the details of why Dad sent back his meal (he did not disclose the specifics to the server). To add insult to injury they actually charged Dad $1.50 for the coffee!! A meal goes back to the kitchen and no inquiry or apology from management or a chef AND you charge for the coffee?? Really?
I selected the curry chicken pasta, as did my Stepmom; both had ZERO curry flavor and were more like a pasta parmesan/primavera style dish than any curry flavor special presented on the menu. No pasta spoon was presented either. I will say the few chicken pieces I could find in the dish were quite tender but again I think I counted 6 small bite-size pieces. My husband was the winner with ordering their baby back ribs. They were quite tender and the sauce was remarkably tasty. His fries on the other hand were limp and greasy.
We had to ask for our water glasses to be filled twice and we also had to ask for the check despite indicating we were not interested in dessert.
I guess I am as confused as previous reviewers with regard to whether this is supposed to be a fine dining restaurant with the very high prices and small select menu OR if they are an average run-of-the-mill eatery that should charge 1/2 the price for mediocre service, food and ambience. I am still scratching my head. Needless to say should we ever find ourselves in the Perth-Andover area again we will not be giving this place a second chance.

• Visited September 2013
Wicklow
“mediocre & insufficient food for the price”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We expected, for the area, top-notch food & service, BUT what we paid $100+/2 meals, was an inexperienced waiter who offered to mix some wine to achieve the type desired, cool, partially cooked vegetables, poor grade of salmon & steak, no sour cream for the baked potato (they ran out 6 hours previously & offered 'cream cheese as a replacement???) & as a bonus, a very long HAIR on the plate. Overall, mediocre at best & we will NOT be returning.

• Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice atmosphere, poor service. Needs work.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I am originally from P-A and was visiting last week from Ottawa with my husband. We went to the Castle one evening for drinks so we could check it out. Our experience was disappointing. To summarize what I think the problem was I would say (a) poor branding and (b) undertrained staff. When we arrived we approached the bar... there were two waitresses there but neither welcomed or asked us what they could do for us. So... I told them we were there for drinks. One of them asked what we'd like... okay, but I politely asked to be seated first and given a menu. It was very awkward. The girls were nice but clearly not trained... when guests arrive, they should be welcomed, shown to a table, given a menu, drink order taken. Basic stuff. The first place we picked to sit at (sofa and lounge chairs) turned out to be SO uncomfortable we had to move. The cushions need new foams or, at the very least, put some plywould under the seats so that the metal bar doesn't run right up your butt crack. Has anyone working at the Castle ever tried to sit on these seats?? As for branding, I really can't tell what the Castle is going for. Upscale ? Pub-style ? It seemed confused. Their prices suggest upscale but spelling mistakes on the drinks chaulkboard and "bucket-of-beer" specials (served in colorful plastic Dollarama tubs) suggest something else. While we were there, the manager had her office door open to the main area while she worked, which felt a bit awkward. We also did not like that the staff were constantly (and loudly) chattering away in the kitchen, calling back-and-forth between the bar and kitchen, or standing with the kitchen door open and having loud conversations with the chef... meanwhile we are sitting with empty glasses until my husband got up to order more.
I would have liked to have given the Castle a better review but it definitely needs work. The building and grounds are very nice... I would like to see the business do well but improvements are a MUST. I did not eat there but given the chance, I would not go back. Sorry Castle... work on your branding and staff training!!

• Visited July 2013