“Sandy Makes Cape Breton Comfortable”

Mackenzie House Tourist Home
Spotsylvania, Virginia
“Sandy Makes Cape Breton Comfortable”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Sandy made us very comfortable in his home. We had a separate room above the pool table and truely enjoyed the quiet evenings. The breakfast was freshly prepared for us at different times on the two mornings we stayed there to better meet our plans. Sandy provided recommendations for food and entertainment that were great. He also helped us steer clear of places that we would not have enjoyed. We both recommend MacKenzie House without any reservations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandy_MacKenzie, Owner at Mackenzie House Tourist Home, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for the great review of our property. It is always a joy to read that our work and knowledge of the area is appreciated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
suwanee
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Sandy is the owner operator and could not have been more gracious. Our room was neat, clean and with a back door to the yard. The breakfasts were delicious and so ample we skipped lunches.

Port Hawkesbury was a stop between Halifax and Prince Edward Island so we could take some time to see Cape Breton. The town does not have a lot to offer, but this tourist home was a best place we could have chosen for an intermim 2 night stop over.

Room Tip: We had room one with the door to the back. on the first floor. Our bathroom was fairly new and good...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi

I wanted to thank you for your comments related to my property. It is very nice to know when people are appreciative of our efforts. Your room was located very close to the laundry room which you could have used. It is mentioned on our web site and in the brochure in the rooms. The ice buckets are in the kitchenette. Sorry that you missed these items. We will serve you better next time you drop by.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This place is not only a beautiful home, but the owners make you feel at home. They bend over backwards to make you feel comfortable it is a really nice warm feeling in the house. Beautiful location. Not far from anything so no long drives. Beautiful home witch is very clean. Beautiful rooms witch are also very clean and modern. Comfy beds excellent bathrooms. There's a beautiful back yard with a bbq and hot tub. Nice big kitchen. Clothes washing station and a nice big pool table in a game room plus a nice lounging area. Also they have wifi!. I stayed for ten days and I'd be back again if I have to stay in the area. Very clean nice comfortable home!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hey Brandon

Glad you enjoyed your experience while staying at MacKenzie House. Where you stayed much longer than most guests it gave us the opportunity to get to know one another better than most guests. Thank you for the great Newfoundland shirt.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2012

According to its website, this B&B seemed to be attractive. Actually, it is located in a small court with views on the front and back of the neighbours. Upon arrival, we became more and more disappointed by what appeared to be almost a "ghost" B&B...
There was nobody to welcome us although I had informed the owner of our time arrival (upon his request). Actually, there were several ordinary pieces of paper hanging on the doors to guide us to our room (one double bed and one king bed, this room doesn't appear on the website)... Once in the room, I quickly noticed that it was not clean... Hair on the bathroom floor with black dirty water stains right in front of the shower. When we lifted the lid of the toilet, the water was yellow... stagnant water or urin?? Dead bug in the room. Dust everywhere, cat or dog hair on the second bed! The hair dryer had been left on the bedside table... etc... I called Sandy the owner and told him that the room was not clean. He told me he was going to see to it. I also noticed that the window behind the king bed was not accessible because of the size of the bed (the space between the bed and the window was not accessible at all). The window had a valence and I thought the blinds were hidden behind it, but I wondered how I was going to be able to shut the blinds... I mentionned it to Sandy over the phone because, of course, I did not want to be awake too early at dawn... He said he would fix that.
Then we left and when we came back around 7:45 pm, there was a note on our door explaining we had to call Sandy to tell him when we would like to have our breakfast the next day. He wasn't there ! I discovered that the window behind the king size bed (which had no curtains, only a valence) had no blinds neither. What a surprise to see that he had "fixed" the problem by putting a sheet on the window, hanging on the valence!! See the picture that I've attached to this review! For a room at $145, I could not believe my eyes! I could see that some cleaning had been made on the bathroom floor but there were still some hair... And it was still so dusty everywhere! The hairdryer was still on the bed side table and I noticed crumbs of I don't know what on the second bed... I also discovered a big stain on the hardwood floor in the bedroom close to the bathroom entrance (see the picture), the lid of the toilet was in a bad condition too...(see the picture too!)
We saw nobody this Saturday in this B&B. The main entrance door was unlocked. We did not feel safe as anyone could have entered this house! I called Sandy to ask him when he was going to lock it! He told me that he wouldn't! I insisted to lock another door giving access to the dining room and the bedrooms. He agreed because he told me he had the key and that the only other customer (whom we never saw) had an independant entrance. I requested to have breakfast between 7:45 and 8:00. When we fell asleep that night, we had seen nobody in person in this B&B... The website says : "warm hospitality"... We had only communicated by phone and notes on the door...
Then the next morning we had the bad surprise that at 8:00, the breakfast was not ready... Nothing had been done. As an excuse Sandy, whom we then met for the very first time, said "someone" had locked another door... Still wondering who did that... The day before he had told me that he had the key for the door I locked anyway... the breakast was also so disappointing for the price we were supposed to pay (again, $145 for a B&B...). When one of my daughters was about to sit she noticed that the chair was shaky... She had to take another one. No choice of juice, just an orange juice, eggs, very fat bacon, one toast cut in two pieces (no refill!), I had to ask for a tea... As for the fruits... I've read in some reviews here that people had had fresh fruits and a quiche! Lucky them! We had no quiche, and cut fruits came from a can! I could not believe it! We asked for a banana, the man had nothing! We saw cereals on a shelve, he did not propose anything!
After the breakfast I explained to the owner how disappointed I was (I had made the list of all those issues), I asked for a discount and he asked me how much I would be ready to pay instead of the $145 + taxes. I finally paid $115 (taxes incl.). I was not sure if I was going to write a review here or not as I am usually indulgent for small businesses. But when I started to tell all about it to some people, they were really shocked! One person told me he would not have paid at all!
Then I took the time to think about it and I've decided that it would not be fair for the others to let them go to this B&B without being informed of the real level of this B&B which pretends to be a Canada Select 5 stars B&B! For a better experience, there are many other, more simple, B&Bs in town for around $75!
Overall, the service is one of the worse I've ever had in a B&B. The house has no particular charm, the furniture in our room was mismatched, not cozy at all... There was even an ironing board in the living room. Apparently, Sandy uses it to put some of his papers... The overall atmosphere was kind of creepy considering we saw nobody else in this house the first day...

The owner has two options: either he susbtantially reduces his prices or he upgrades the quality of the service he pretends to offer! In the meanwhile, I cannot decently recommend this B&B, except if you really don't want to see anyone during your stay and if you don't mind the dust...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank InlovewithVancouver
The review you provided of this property was reviewed by the owner and as a result substantial changes have taken place. It is very difficult to address all the items you raised in your comments about the property. Without addressing any specific item I wanted you to be aware that the service and cleanliness of the B&B has been upgraded as you suggested. Thank you for the concern related to the doors being locked as up to the point where you brought it forward we had not locked the doors at this home for thirty years, with no issues. It is without a doubt a very safe location.
However I recognize that others have different experiences and want their rooms and the main doors locked because of their expectations. Overall I have considered your review as a constructive way to address the problems you had with the property and our breakfasts.
Should you wish to revisit us I am sure you will have a much more pleasant experience at no cost to you.
Truro, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband and I stayed with our black lab and had a wonderful evening. We were staying in the area because our son way playing in a tournement and I don't care for the hotel feel. Sandy was wery welcoming and we stayed above the pool table room. We have no complaints about noise and we counldn't have felt more welcome. The place is very clean which is high on my list and also being able to bring our buddy was a huge help. The breakfast was delicious and right on time with fresh fruit and bacoon and eggs with toast on the menu. We would go back without any question. I sincerely believe if we had come up with any issues Sandy would have fixed them quickly since his business depends on good reviews and repeat business.

Room Tip: A great host who is very friendly with a lovely home.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about our property and my personal involvement. It is so nice to read that we did a good job providing you with excellent hospitality. Thanks
Chesterland, Ohio
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Here again there are several rooms at this location that offer different amenaties. We stayed in room 4 which is what the pictures on trip advisor show. The room is separate from the main house upstairs over a billards room. The room is big with a jacussi and shower and large bed I think a king. It is very quiet since it is away from the main house. It has offstreet parking. The house is located on a short cul-de-sac. Breakfast was at 8:30 and was a very well prepared eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee. The innkeeper is Sandy. One reviewer said he was grumpy. Seemed nice enough to me but did seem to keep his distance. One suggestion for Sandy would be better communications after booking like maybe a follow up email to confirm the reservation. Also could be upfront and let you know that there is a deposit when you book. Two suggestions to make this place a 5 star.

Room Tip: Price out each room and where they are located in the house.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of this property. I have noted your recommendations and as a result I have included notification that a deposit may be taken with the clients approval and confirmation is given in follow up email or at the time of the phone call.
Victoria
Reviewed 4 August 2011

When we arrived at this place, we rang the door bell and there was no answer. Then we noticed a note on the door that gave us instructions on how to find our room.
The Celtic room was very disappointing regarding the quality of the furniture and bedding especially since it was advertised as a Canada Select 5 Star property. The straw chairs belonged on a patio and the rest of the furniture was warn and low quality. We left and came back later that evening.
When I folded down the comforter on the bed, I noticed strands of hair on the pillow. I checked the other pillow and there was also hair on it. When I checked between the sheets, I found more hair. It was evident that the sheets were not changed after the last guest slept in that bed.
I wanted to leave and find another place to stay, but since it was getting late, I decided to try and find the lady in charge. When she saw the hair in the bed, she changed the sheets and offered us an apology and a glass of wine. We declined the wine. There was also more hair found in the bathroom on the floor around the toilet.
Since I am a regular tea drinker, at breakfast I was told there was none. This place was extremely disappointing and would not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Port Hastings
Capeway Country Bed & Breakfast
Capeway Country Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 3 in Port Hastings

Been to Mackenzie House Tourist Home? Share your experiences!