“Best restaurant in Port Hawkesbury” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fleur-de-Lis Tea Room and Dining Room
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Canadian, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Fleur-de-Lis offers a true taste of Cape Breton. Eat-in, take-out, or catering available. Affordable home-style options that are never deep-fried. We can cater to your dietary needs such as vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy free, etc. We have an extensive menu of Scottish, Acadian, and other local favorites - there is something for every taste! Best variety of salads in Cape Breton!
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Best restaurant in Port Hawkesbury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

If you are looking for good healthy "homecook" food - EAT HERE! You won't be disappointed. The Tea Room's salads and wraps(especially the maple) are AMAZING!
It's so refreshing to have a restaurant like this in the area where most other restaurants (in PHK & surrounding areas) serve mainly fried/greasy foods and their version of a salad is iceberg lettuce and bottled dressing. Don't get me wrong, I love fries but don't want to eat it all the time. I've eaten here many times and it is my favorite place to eat when I go into Port Hawkesbury!

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bbhalifax, Manager at Fleur-de-Lis Tea Room and Dining Room, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thanks so much for your review Jay... please come back any time and also, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and with others who may like to give us a try! Cheers, and have a great day!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great menu, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

This restaurant is a favorite stop. The fish cakes and maplenut salad are my favorite. My only complaint is they are so good it's hard to try new things.

1 Thank Missygurl
bbhalifax, Owner at Fleur-de-Lis Tea Room and Dining Room, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! The maple nut salad is definately a favorite one at our restaurant! You will have to try the Maple Nut Chicken wrap... its also delicious! Have a great day and thanks for your feedback and continued support!
Richmond County
“Leaves alot to be desired....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I visited this little restaurant early January and had the seafood chowder and Greek Salad/
Resturant at first glance: small and cozy, but a little dated. I took a trip to the bathroom (as I always do when I visit a resturant) and was pleased to see it was clean.
Waitress: was a young lady with dark hair who never smiled once and appeared to be bored and just going through the motions of her "job", very robotic. She did take my order in a timley manner though and checked on me once to make sure everything was okay.
Food: Greek Salad was good, not the best I have ever had, but fresh. The seafood chowder however was mostly broth and was on the cool side. For the price of the meal I would expect a little more than some tiny pieces of potatoes and seasoning.
During my meal there was a employee that was happily disclosing someone else's personal and I'd say rather private information to another couple eatting at another table. I found this to be very unprofessional. This same employee (possible owner? as she seemed to be in charge somehow) was also loud and bossy when giving "orders" to the young waitress that never smiles. I'd like to add that a waitresses first priority should be her customer trying to pay the bill, not text messaging at the cash. In my opinion, this establishment does not stand out above the rest and is no different than your average greasy spoons throughout the province. If you want to stand out, have some class and set some standards that all the employees should follow. I am giving you a poor rating, mostly because of my experience with the waitress and the gossiping employee/owner(?).

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank novascotiasurfit
bbhalifax, Owner at Fleur-de-Lis Tea Room and Dining Room, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
First off, thank you for your honesty - we are pro-active with any negative comments in that we like to deal with them immediately. So I would like to note that the two individuals for which you mentioned have received a copy of your review so that they can improve their professionalism and so that this kind of experience will not happen again. On a side note, you mentioned that your server came to check on you once - however, you failed to tell her of your disapproval of your meal. If you had done so, perhaps your negative experience could of been turned around, because we are not in the habit of charging people for food that is not consumed because they do not like it - instead, we either offer a new meal that is more to their taste, or only charge customers for the food they did enjoy and not those they did not. I see that you are local (from Ricmond) and I only wish that you had come to see me about these issues before posting on trip advisor. We pride ourselves in providing meals that are healthy alternatives to the fast food restaurants that surround us, and I feel strongly that we are NOT a "greasy spoon" establishment. I hope you give us the opportunity to prove otherwise.
Antigonish, Canada
“The very best!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We go to the Fleur-de-Lis all the time for the great food and excellent service. It's so hard to find good HEALTHY food in Cape Breton so thank God for the Fleur-de-Lis!!!! I love the variety! AWESOME!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Lindsay M
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our little restaurant... we really do pride ourselves with providing healthy alternatives which is why our very extensive menu has NOTHING deep fried - no other restaurant in Port Hawkesbury can make such a claim.... Thanks again, and please return soon!
“Taste like homemade”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

What I love about this restaurant is that the food is like homemade but tastes better! A lot of options to choose from, great prices and a healthy alternative to fast food.

1 Thank corrinamacq
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with a review. The large majority of our menu items are unprocessed (we make our own hamburgers, roast our own turkeys, cook our own chicken breasts and bake our own hams) and homemade (we have home baked bread, muffins, desserts, cookies). We also contribute to community health by buying locally... every dollar you spend at our restaurant stays in our community! Thanks again for your continued patronage!