“Ocean front beauty” 5 of 5 bubbles

Oceanstone Resort
Dartmouth, Canada
“Ocean front beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

My partner and I needed a couple of days out of the city,and we'd heard wonderful things about Oceanstone Inn, so we booked in for an overnight stay.
The property is surrounded by lovely old evergreen trees, natural rocks, a bubbling stream, well placed paths and of course, the ocean.
Our building housed 5 flats, but privacy was perfect and very quiet.We stayed in the Hollyhock suite, which was an open concept flat with lots of windows,old pine beams, rustic pine furniture and a beautiful hardwood floor.Modern as well as rustic, with a balcony and a stunning view of the ocean.
The hot tub was well placed in a cozy corner in front of a window, and provided a relaxing soak after a day of hiking at Pollys Cove-we certainly appreciated the wonderful Terry bath robes! The cove is located a few kilometers to the east and is a part of the Coastal Barrens-we hiked over huge granite rocks guided by a well marked trail just above the ocean-definitely worth experiencing.Bring a camera
Dinner at Rhubarb Cafe' topped off a perfect day, and I was very pleased with the gluten free items on the menu.
In the morning, after a great sleep in the wonderfully comfortable bed, coffee in the kitchen area, we had a walk around the grounds and along the beach front.
At this time of year when flowers are not in bloom and trees are bare,we still enjoyed the beautiful natural surroundings.
Staff were excellent and attentive. We can't wait until we return!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MJCollins4952

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Coldbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

After our wonderful stay at Oceanstone, everyone in my family has agreed we will be making it an annual event. My parents (in their eighties), my children (in their twenties) and my six year old grandson all had a wonderful stay. Everything was absolutely perfect. We felt valued and pampered.
Not only are we making this an annual family gathering place, I am looking forward to spending time there with friends.
I cannot thank Lizzie and staff enough for making our stay a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The Captain's House is wonderful for family gatherings.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

Amazing place!! I have driven by this place so many times and never even knew it existed. From the time we arrived there we were in love. We wanted a cottage away from the city with a wood stove (not easy to find in NS) and what we found was so much more! We walked into the Grey Owl and it was beyond our expectations! The wood stove kept us warm all night, the sound of the waves added that romantic touch to our supper which my husband made for me! When I saw the pictures online I thought it was close to the beach but it is literally right on the beach. PERFECT! The layout of the cottage is one I never would of thought of but it works so well and it is so cozy. We will definitely be back and I am already telling people to go there and we just got home! Thanks for making our first anniversary so memorable!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a romantic stay I would recommend the Grey Owl!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nadine P
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We wanted to go away for a romantic weekend as we were living apart at the time due to work. Imagine my surprise when I was proposed to at sunrise!! It was amazing and wonderful and a very lovely spot for it to happen. The 'cabins' are really lovely and the staff were amazing. Being so close to the beach and having such privacy and peace was greatly appreciated.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
lizzie m, Owner at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Congratulations ! We are so happy to hear that you had such a great visit and a wonderful surprise of the engagement ! We hope to see you back sometime to celebrate.

Thanks again for the wonderful note and Congrats !

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend at Oceanstone in the Grey owl cottage. We wanted a relaxing,romantic weekend and we got much more.
The cottage is warm and inviting with personal touches throughout. Whimsical little nautical touches everywhere. It contains everything you need:dishes,cutlery,pots and pans,coffee maker,coffee,creamers,iron,ironing board,fan,wood for the woodstove,matches,etc. It has electric heat,but we made fires for the ambiance.
The bed is the most comfortable I have slept in, in a long time. The shower is strong and has lots of hot water.
The view is beyond amazing! The ocean is right out your back door,steps from the deck,with lots of beautiful sand. We spent most of our time walking the beach and watching the fishermen pull in and set their lobster traps. You can lie in bed and just soak up the amazing views. The sunset was to die for! There are outdoor fire pits and chairs for the summer.
The entire propery is magical with lights and sparkling lights in the trees.
We had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us-what a nice touch! Perfect spot to unwind and have a woderful weekend! We will be back!

Room Tip: Grey owl is the cottage usually chosen for honeymoons or in our case...a romantic weekend.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I enjoyed Oceanstone for the fresh air and surf sounds that aid one to sleep, the greenery and cute paths. The unit was old fashioned with wide plank floors ( seemed to be laminate that looked very antique and very suitable), white painted walls and bedframe, quite Country, homey. The curtains do not fill out enough, so I felt the sides of the curtains exposed one putting on pajamas to anyone unlucky enough to pass by the deck. Particularly true of the window in the door!

I enjoyed the deck each unit gets, with some Adirondack chairs and a table, climbing raspberries and little plants. Some gorgeous mornings there. A deep bubbling tub was luscious before bed.

The unit had a kitchen that was extremely well appointed with expensive!! pots and utensils. And coffee and sugar and strainers etc etc. very handy. Loved the wooden fish on the wall. silly fish. A Nova Scotia folk art that fit there perfectly.

The food was expensive but fairly interesting. There were few choices, which is hard when you have food sensitivities. The cutlery was weird and very unbalanced and would hardly stay in my hand, too avante garde to be enjoyable or practical. The napkins are scented strongly with dryer sheet chemical, which is not appetizing and quite unnecessary. The view from the restaurant is gorgeous.

The staff at the front are all sweet and provided me with extra help on quite a few things. The restaurant staff needs work, ignoring me when there were all of four other customers there, giving me mistaken information about the tip being included (it was not, so I stiffed the subsequent servers accidentally), not checking on my needs.

I was quite content there but it is not five stars. A pretty cute four stars. The price was high for that, even so. The lawn and beach are tiny and I could get a bit stir-crazy if it were a longer trip. No fitness centre, bikes to rent, no pool. Four days was just right, for reading, listening to surf, hitting Peggys Cove, toodling up and down the coastline, which has a LOT going for it!. The location is close to town, very convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Heather M
lizzie m, General Manager at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Hi there
I am so glad that you enjoyed the Hollyhock suite and were able to listen to the surf !

We are actually looking into changing the cutlery at the restaurant. We have also introduced a new winter menu which is delicious - let me know if you are in the area again i'd love for you to try the chili or the dragon breath french onion soup.

Hope to see you out again soon - we do have lots of great ideas for Phase two of our renovations, and the pool, spa/ fitness centre are for sure on the plan at some point soon.

Thanks again for visiting and your comments - hope to see you soon

Berwick, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I celebrated our wedding at Oceanstone at the end of August and we could not be happier about the facility and the service. Everything was perfect right down to the minor details. We had multiple guests come up to us and thank us for choosing this resort for our wedding!

The wedding coordinator Lizzie is so wonderful and was there to help with anything we asked. She even helped us put out our center pieces and set up the reception area the day before the wedding. The day of the wedding she kept popping in to visit us girls while we were getting ready and offering to help. During the wedding one of our guests had a small child with him and Lizzie noticed that he had to leave during the meal to put her to sleep. Lizzie had his meal sent to his room for him and saved his dessert for when he came back to the dinner. That is just one example of the care and attention that the staff put towards the guests.

The resort is beautiful and very well maintained. They have just done an upgrade and the main lodge (where our reception was) is so beautiful and elegant that we hardly had to put any decorations out. The cottages that we stayed in are so wonderful and I've never slept in a more comfortable bed. I wanted to take the comforter home with me!
There are fire pits outside the cottages and the resort supplies the firewood. We were lucky enough that a large portion of our guests were able to stay at the resort with us for a few nights and we were able to have bonfires on the beach with them. The staff also let us use the common area outside to have a lobster boil the day after the wedding. It was so nice to be able to have everyone together like that and not crammed in our cottage.

I am so thankful that we found this resort for our wedding and we can't wait to go back for our first anniversary!

Room Tip: The cottages are worth the money! Steps from the ocean and so beautiful
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chelletravels
lizzie m, Owner at Oceanstone Resort, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Hi there

Thanks so much for the amazing comments and story ! It was so wonderful to get to know the two of you and meet your family and friends. I just loved it .... looking forward to keeping in touch

Chat soon and thank you again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Harbour
South End
Waverley Inn
Waverley Inn
#12 of 28 in Halifax

Been to Oceanstone Resort? Share your experiences!