“Gorgeous”
Review of Oceanstone Resort

Oceanstone Resort
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I spent 2 nights here as part of a wedding party in July 2013.
It is beautiful, individual cottages which were perfectly furnished, and the staff were extremely accomodating and helpful.
The location itself is remote, and you will need a car to get around, but if you are looking for a peaceful beachside getaway, then this is perfect.
I stayed in one of the rooms above the restaurant. The bed was super comfy with tons of natural light. The other guests stayed in the cottages and I got to spend a day or so at the 'bride's cottage' and that was spacious, well furnished, great little kitchen and amazing views.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in the beginning of may. We stayed in rhubarb 2. These rooms were just done over and they're beautiful. The bathroom had a nice walk in shower which was a plus for us. The room is a little small but down the hall there's a kitchen to use that has a microwave fridge and dishes to use. There's no ice in the freezer but we had brought our own. There's a deck off the room and the view is gorgeous!!! It was so quiet out there it was very relaxing.
The only thing with the rhubarb rooms is that there's a restaurant underneath and when they open up it's noisy. Luckily we were there in the slow season so the restaurant was only open 11-4.
This is a great location for a relaxing night away. Peggy's cove is really close and there's a superstore and gas station only 20 mins away.
We would definitely return to this place! We may pick a cottage next time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Booked a one night stay in a cottage expecting something earthy and rustic. Got a top class room, first rate service and a brilliant location and a memory for a lifetime.

Oceanstone is just past the iconic Peggy's Cove outside Halifax, NS. The locale is the definition of scenic, and the grounds are immaculately kept while seeming completely at home with the natural beauty of the area. The private beach is stunning (we didn't swim) for walks or star gazing.

Our cottage, The Pines, features a room what you think would be an attic, but is a clean, serene space with windows on three sides, a beautiful deck with adirondack chairs you can sit outside in, an airtub that comfortable accommodated me (well over 6 feet and 200 pounds) and my wife, light hardwood floors, a loveseat that looks over the water, and a sumptuous bed. It's in the middle of the compound, but because you're on the second floor, no one can see into the room, and you see over any people walking to and from to their respective cottages.

The room was spotless, and we found a complimentary bottle of red wine with a handwritten note wishing us a happy anniversary. It was quiet and peaceful- we opened the windows and let the rolling sea sounds wash in as the soundtrack.

We ate at the Rhubarb restaurant on the grounds and had an incredible meal. The staff there were personable and fun, and obviously cared a lot about us enjoying our meal.

In the morning, we enjoyed some brilliant fresh, dark roast coffee and a warm from the oven cinnamon bun at the bakery underneath the Rhubarb.

It was worth every penny we spent- best anniversary yet. It was a 40 minute drive from the city, but it felt like we were a whole country away. Felt refreshed by the whole experience. Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The cottages cost more than suites, but the privacy and quiet they provide is REALLY worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I was looking for someplace special..to get away and enjoy a calm, relaxing and romantic evening with a friend. This was definitely it. I spent quite sometime looking for just the right place. I had some specific requirements - quiet,beautiful view, yet secluded with a bit of privacy, balcony, a tub built for 2.

When I called to ask some questions - the person who answered the phone was very helpful. I was willing to pay a little more than usual for the right place. We had only one night and I wanted it to be special. Oceanstone has some great options...something for everyone - no matter what your requirements. Michelle I think was who I initially spoke too ( not a 100% on the name though) she was very friendly - and answered all my questions about each of the rooms that looked like possibilities. The Rhubarb Suite, the Hollyhock #3 or maybe one of the cottages. I had so many questions, and "wants" that I could not have been an easy person to deal with - but she was patient, and informative...The one cottage I was considering...The Grey Owl...was booked - right on the beach, deck, fire pit, beautiful inside....Grrr. Hollyhock 3 had everything - but also came outside my budget. I asked about the Ocean Vista - it was further from the water - but had the balcony, the two person jetted tub. It looked nice. So after hemming and hawing ... decided on that. They were not busy she said - so if I wanted to look around when I got there - I could always change my mind. Now that is GREAT Service.

The Location - FANTASTIC. I have driven this road a couple of times, as had my friend - neither of us had really noticed this place. But right on the waters of St. Margaret's Bay, easy access to Peggy's Cove and the drive around the Bay is beautiful. Some good restaurants near by, beautiful walks along the beach, just a great place to relax and get away from it all.

The Property - again FANTASTIC. All the units are just steps away from the beach...some right on it. Beautifully landscaped, a lot of trees to keep things private. Lots of parking. You can walk the beach in either direction, it is a bit rocky, so make sure you have some shoes. We found a couple of chairs and just sat and enjoyed the view, the quiet, the smells....

Check in - the girl at the desk - also very helpful. She allowed us to check out a couple of other options, she answered our questions and was very friendly. She did fail to give us some information ... check out time for instance...I still don't know what their check out time is...She was kind enough to make a reservation for us at the on-sight restaurant Rhubarb. Definitely recommend it.

The Room - when we got there we did consider a couple of the other options. We checked out Dovekey. Right on the water so the view was spectacular. Due to the location - a little outside of my budget at $300. We then checked out Ocean Vista and it was perfect. Even though it wasn't right on the water, the view was stunning..as it is in the upstairs of the cottage. The downstairs is storage - so still private as well. It had the huge tub that looked out on to the view...and a balcony, that even though it is glass, still offers some privacy. So this was it. Everything I was looking for. Still pricey at over $200, but still worth it. The room was a nice size, had a small couch, small fridge, beautiful hardwood floors...windows that looked out onto the ocean ... and allowed for the breeze to come in. The only odd thing - no phone to call the desk in case you had any questions...We were going to call and ask what time check out was...but couldn't. So we checked out at noon - which I think was later than it should have been...but it was so lovely there - neither of us really wanted to leave. My friend went and got some pastries from the bakery at the Rhubarb restaurant. He brought back tea and scones and muffins for breakfast, we sat on the deck and just enjoyed the view, the breeze and just the silence...wonderful. And the pastries were amazing. Hmmm Rhubarb turnover, blueberry muffins. YUMMY!!!

I am recommending this place to anyone and everyone. I will be back again for sure.

Room Tip: If you want the view without the price - Ocean Vista cottage is a perfect option.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maggiemaeCanada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have lived in NS my whole life and didn't know this place existed. We attended a family wedding over the weekend and were blown away with this resort. We stayed in a small guest room but didn't spend much time there so the size didn't really matter to us. Family members had EVERY cabin on the resort so we spent time in each one. They range from small (2person) to large (6-7 person).They're all very clean, and cozy with a rustic feel. The art on the walls is mostly hand made and the little touches like spoons and forks bent and nailed onto a board for a coat rack compliments the rustic theme. The beach was very nice but where we're into September we didn't spend much time there. The wedding was held down near the water with beautiful views, the couple then took the 5 minute drive for what I'm sure will be spectacular pictures. The guest mean while had cocktails, bruschetta and bacon wrapped scallops (yummy!!) Diner was very good and the service between the courses was perfect! The dance area downstairs was a bit small but it seemed like everyone had a very good time! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a seaside escape or to celebrate a wedding with family and friends! It is quite expensive but I think worth it! The grounds are beautiful with gardens, outside fire pit and BBQ's. There is also a restaurant on site called the Rhubarb which we didn't have a chance to eat at but heard really amazing things about.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Booked a room for the first night of my trip after a long flight from the UK. It was a great place to ground myself. Beautiful gardens and beach. I watched the sunset there after a delicious meal at Rhubarb restaurant. Very friendly and helpful staff. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We travel to Nova Scotia every year and have always lamented that the hotels in Downtown Halifax don't take advantage of the wonderful ocean views. We now have our Oceanside resort. Close to the city of Halifax, close to Peggy's Cove, close to Mahone Bay - all my favourites. The bedroom was small - not much room for suitcases and it was a little more "rustic" than I had imagined but those were small things compared to the ocean waves and fresh air, the adirondack chairs in the sand with a rock for a footstool and the well kept grounds. Staff were gearing up for a wedding later in the week so were occupied with that but we never felt ignored - just enjoyed our privacy. We stayed in the Grey Owl and I must say - the highlight of each day was our dinner at Rhubarb each night. We thoroughly enjoyed that and I will write a separate review as it is not part of Oceanstone but in my option if not for Rhubarb I would not have enjoyed my stay nearly as much. I don't prefer to cook on vacation and there are no fine restaurants in the area or taxi cabs so Rhubarb restaurant made our overall stay quite perfect.

Room Tip: A cabin on Ocean is the best - the quiet and the private deck were very nice. There is no place for...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Clifty Cove Motel
#1 of 1 in Indian Harbour
Big Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Big Lake

Been to Oceanstone Resort? Share your experiences!