“Fantastic river time”

Madawaska Kanu Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Madawaska Kanu Centre provides personal instruction in Whitewater Kayaking & Canoeing, as well as sea kayaking. Located just outside of Algonquin Park on the Madawaska River, MKC offers all the comforts of a European-style vacation resort. Classes are small, the river clean, warm & uncrowded. Two hour Family Rafting Trips for ages 2 & up! Five fun-filled kms of beautiful scenery and tumbling whitewater in the Algonquin Park area. Our skilled guides steer the raft down river as you hold-on and enjoy the adventures! Our Riverside Shop & Café has souvenirs, clothing, snacks and beverages for purchase before or after your trip. Fun for the whole family!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Anyone who wants to learn whitewater canoeing or kayaking should start here. Once you try it, you will want to go again, both to improve your skills and to have a great time. The wonderful management and staff have created a lovely community and are highly professional. In addition to the great teaching, the setting is beautiful, the company of fellow paddlers excellent, and the food is also consistently delicious and healthy.
Don't miss a chance to discover this gem!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family and I have visited Ontario (from the states) several times over the past ten years or so and do the MKC family rafting each time we visit. The staff is amazing (our raft guide was Zofia and she was the best! skilled, friendly, and smiles for miles) There are other rafting trips much closer to our camp but we've never even looked at them. We're going to be coming back here for years. The water is as warm as the air and the trip is extremely fun, yet safe for smaller kids. A great time for everyone!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My third time at MKC and had enjoyed every second of it. Staff were professional and friendly. The instructors were patient and encouraging. I recommend it to anyone who has been debating trying whitewater canoeing or kayaking.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The staff were brilliant at this place and made the rafting experience brilliant for both children and adults alike. It is tame for adults compared to real white water rafting but if you do a family trip its all about the kids enjoying it more.
Great value as well and probably has best souvenirs we saw on trip to Canada, boats, paddles etc.

1  Thank eleanorferguson
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My two teenage sons, (14 and 16) and I went up for a family weekend. I had wanted to go for a week but the boys summer schedules wouldn't allow it (sad I know). But the three of us have been white water kayaking progressively for about 2 to 3 years. They are very much into "playboating" . At MKC they will work with you on whatever type of skills and equipment you are in to. In the last 6 months we have all gotten a decent roll. ( that gives you an idea of our skill levels) My roll was the last to come around just in the last couple weeks, but the folks at MKC really moved me along. One of the pics attached shows me "working" on the roll. We worked a lot with Jordan and Pam and Mark and Annie. All were fantastic. The Energy and enthusiasm of the staff was special. Jordan made extra efforts to customize our experience to our precise desires and frequently checked in to see if we were happy with how things were going. I think that the teaching and paddling, rapids, water experience (which by the way is much warmer than one would expect in that part of Canada) were all superlative.

That being said, if you are looking for plush accomodations you will be dissapointed. That is not what this place is about. The bunk room we stayed in had four beds and room to turn around and stow our stuff. it was clean and comfortable. When there was down time the lodge was a nice place to hang out, not plush but comfortable, relaxing and nice commarardarie with the other paddlers. A nice place to meet people with similar interests after the evening teaching sessions. The shower was just outside. I happen to love an outdoor shower. It may not be your cup of tea, but if you've never tried it you should.

It was well worth the 6 hour drive that it is for us from south of the border and I plan to return to soak up more of the expertise.