“Everything we expected......”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barry's Bay
Barry's Bay Cottage Resort
BRAMPTON
“Everything we expected......”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed 3 nights in Sept. 2013 - very pleased when we arrived at our little cottage (#5 Gray Wolf). BTW - Hats off to owner for such a well laid out website. Everything was well explained, and pictures showed all you need to know really. But arriving and finding everything exactly as promised really made us happy.
We were only staying 3 nights, so we didn't do any cooking per se - only had cereal and toast in mornings to get us going. For two days, we went hiking in Algonquin Park - East gate is only about 30+ minutes from cottage so it was handy for us.
Bedding/beds were very comfortable. Size of cottage was what is was - only 600 sq feet (as promised) but it was all we needed. Plus it was dead quiet up there - only one other cottage rented (as far as we could tell). Satellite TV was fine - however the Wi-Fi connection was not strong enough in cottage to connect properly. Not a deal breaker for us.....
Really enjoyed our stay - would recommend to others - will be back next year for sure!

Room Tip: Depends on size you need - for a couple, Gray Wolf cottage is perfect. Lovely deck - fairly private...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MICHAEL P

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We recently stayed at Barry' Bay Cottage Resort for a week in cottage number 12 (3 bedroom). We were very pleased with it as it was well equipped and comfortable for the 8 of us. Remembering it is a cottage not a condo rental in Florida. Cable TV, DVD, linens, full kitchen etc. It was not most updated, but appliances were newer, clean and what we expected. We had a private hot tub which was a great bonus and a larger back yard than most of the others where we set up our badminton and enjoyed the fire pit. We paid for our own canoe for 3 days and they picked it up after 4 days. We had to bring the canoe to the dock everytime we used it, which was a bit of work. There were always canoes, peddle boats, kayaks and life jackets available to use, but not sure if that was the norm or just because that week there were familieis with younger kids and they didn't use them. There is a playground, sand toys, balls, pool noodles, raquets, skipping ropes etc. for the kids to use and my kids 5 and 7 had a great time. There is a beach and though it is small, it never seemed to be an issue as the kids were mainly building sand castles all together, in the water etc. There is a water trampoline and dock to lounge on and the water was 23 degrees and with a clear sandy bottom. We spent most of our time in the canoe, and it was beautiful scenery especially early morning and at dusk. My only suggestions are that they have a basket ball net but it is sand and grass underneath and would be better if paved. They have a Moose Lounge with pool table, ping pong, board games, free WIFI but it was very old, dusty, dirty and outdated and seemed to have never been cleaned or maintained. It needs a lot of work, to be a place I would want to spend time in. I also feel that they should check equipment and replace broken items on a more regular basis, all the pails were cracked, raquets broken, games missing pieces and while I know parents should be supervising their kids and making sure they care for things and put them back this was not the case. Barry's Bay is about 5 min drive and they have a Valu Mart and Metro with prices comparable to home as well as some great little shops with unique items to buy and some great restaurants. Fill your gas tank in Bancroft as it was 132.9 in Barrys Bay and 117.0 in Bancroft! It was a great week and we will definately return next summer as it was very fun and relaxing despite the small issues. Some people complained in other reviews about the noise from the highway, but it didn't really bother us as it is not the 401 and only a few vehicles pass by and the main noise would be from trucks.

Room Tip: cottages on water are convenient if you want your own dock cottages opposite are great for having a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank L C
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I had read some of the reviews prior to going so I was on guard but I have to say that I have absolutely no complaint about my time there...as a matter of fact it exceeded my expectation.
Being the time of year that I went perhaps the highway is not that busy, but I live in Toronto so the noise from the highway is very minimal. I have more traffic on my suburban side street in a day. The cottage was neat, tidy, very clean. Everything was in great working order. There is so much to see and do in the area and the Welcome package came in very handy. I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say. I had the time of my life and would recommend it to anyone who wants a cottage experience in one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen in Ontario. The off-season rates are affordable and in line with the other cottage rentals. The website is very well constructed and gives an accurate description of the resort and the cottages.

Room Tip: Depending on what you are looking for I think there is a cottage for everyone. I think the website...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christine H
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed here over a long weekend in cottage #8. We had no major complaints about the cottage - it was clean and conveniently close to a well-equipped town and to Algonquin Park. The website makes a point of mentioning that the cottages are "renovated", but we didn't feel like ours was redone recently. The kitchen looked like it contained up-cycled cabinets from the 80's and the bathroom was also very tired looking. One of the window screens was previously ripped and had been taped up - not great. The only things that seemed recently renovated were the floors. Mind you, if you're used to very rustic cottage accommodation, this is much nicer. However, we were looking for more of a "home away from home".

Also, another reviewer mentioned the noise of the traffic from the highway, which is definitely a bit of a put-off when you're lazing around on the dock.

Overall, a bit overpriced for what you get (given the location and the size of the cottages), but not horrible.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2012

WE went for a couple days and found it easy to get to, exceptionally clean and quite nice. It's a\ cottage...not the Taj Mahal...don't know what people expect...other than to be spoon fed ...We had a small issue with our BBQ and within 10 mins...we had someone there to replace our propane...Plenty of place to hike...fish..and relax..so the people that have complained because they weren't catered to like children...thinking they'll always have something negative to say about everything...grow up...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Cory L
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed at this resort in Aug 2012. Cottages are recently renovated, new appliances, flooring, windows etc. Small but cozy. Very clean. Very private with lots of trees. Can barely see the cottages next to you. Great beach with lots of sand and toys for kids, shallow beach. Very clear water and clean bottom. I'm not really a beach person but I had no problem swimming here. The evenings are quiet because most of the renters are young families. Already booked for next year!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TLC272
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My family just returned from a nine night stay at the cottage resort. We stayed in cottage #10. My family consists of me, my husband, 9 year old daughter and 6 year old son.

First the positive aspects. The cottage was clean and recently updated. Small but cozy. The beds were comfortable. Private dock with shallow water which was good for swimming with the kids. Beach toys at the beach to play with also. A fire pit for roasting marshmellows which we did everynight. The view was incredible!!!! The view is the best part of staying here.

Now the negatives. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the grounds were very disappointing. There is a difference between natural and unkept. This resort was unkept. Driving into the resort area, you are greeted by a dilapitated caretakers house, broken canoe, broken rowboat and the garbage shed. The basketball court and horseshoe pit are overgrown with weeds. Basically, they are unusable. The moose "lounge" is in the basement of the caretakers house. It smelled musty and mildewy. It was FILTHY. Layers of dust on the ping pong table. Pool table broken. Old games. My children didn't mind but I was not impressed. Not what I was expecting. The beach was very small. Not much room for more than 1 or 2 families to enjoy. No laundry facilities. I knew this beforehand but it would have been appreciated. The cottages are small which might bother some.

Overall, our stay was ok. We made the most of what was offered and also found plenty to do in the surrounding area. I feel it is overpriced for what was offered. For a winter stay or a stay without children where the grounds would not be used, I would possibly recommend this resort. Better upkeep, a bigger beach, and laundry facilities might tempt me to come back. Without those things, we will not be returning. However, I will miss the view!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Barry's Bay
Greystone on Golden Lake
Greystone on Golden Lake
#1 of 1 in Golden Lake

Been to Barry's Bay Cottage Resort? Share your experiences!