“Good....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barry's Bay
Barry's Bay Cottage Resort
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

First impression wasn't great...but we did have a good time

The beach is super small, almost an afterthought. I agree with others- the lodge is very musty. My kids loved the playground and the dirt roads are great for kids to bike on.

We brought our atv's and the ride to get onto the trails is a short ride on hwy 60. The trails are great and were worth the trip. Not sure how we would have kept busy without them!

Cottages were clean- I'm a bit if a freak about bugs and am happy to report that our cottage was bug free!!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank lzhntr

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent a long weekend at Barry’s Bay Cottages. Everything exceeded our expectations: The cottage, the grounds, the activities, etc. The 3-bedroom cottage was spacious. The kitchen had everything we needed. The grocery store was a short drive away which was very convenient when we ran out of milk and treats for the kids. What I loved about our experience is the fact that the cottage and the facilities included so many activities that we didn’t need to go anywhere else to entertain the kids (I didn’t even hear them saying once ‘I am bored, mom…’). Even when we had enough from canoeing and kayaking, we played basketball. The hot tub was such a nice treat. The bonfire was a hit. The other thing that I liked about the cottage is that we had our private fire pit, picnic table, BBQ, and hot tub. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Biatoronto
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We just left with our kids last weekend and really were happy with our cottage.
I see one review on here that I didn't see before we booked but they must not have the right place.

Our cottage was clean and cozy (and they tell you the size of the place, there's no hidden stuff)
We had campfires, paddled in a canoe on the lake. We went to Algonquin and saw moose.
Great trip. Cottage was clean, in good shape. All I saw was people working on stuff too, every day. They were raking stuff and doing work non stop. Offered the guy a beer. Bugs were ok, could have been worse...we're coming back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason M
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in May and really weren't expecting much, as we know the area and have rented cottages on Carson and Trout Lake before. We were actually pleasantly surprised as we thought we would be "roughing it" more! We were in cottage #7, the Cotton Tail because we needed a pet friendly cottage for the dog. It was small but clean, with fairly new furniture and beds, with plenty of towels. The bed was comfortable with nice crisp linens. We had the hot tub on the deck which was clean and well maintained. The owners had left a bag of wood under the deck for use with the fire pit, which was a bonus. The dock was still not in the lake due to the long winter but we were ok with that. There were canoes and kayaks for use just a short walk down the cottage road. It's a very private and peaceful quiet place for a weekend. The best part about the weekend was listening to the loons in the evening and morning and siting around the fire pit! It's not a 5 star but it's clean and the gas BBQ works well..... And it gets you closer to nature!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SALOttawa_Canada
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed 3 nights in Sept. 2013 - very pleased when we arrived at our little cottage (#5 Gray Wolf). BTW - Hats off to owner for such a well laid out website. Everything was well explained, and pictures showed all you need to know really. But arriving and finding everything exactly as promised really made us happy.
We were only staying 3 nights, so we didn't do any cooking per se - only had cereal and toast in mornings to get us going. For two days, we went hiking in Algonquin Park - East gate is only about 30+ minutes from cottage so it was handy for us.
Bedding/beds were very comfortable. Size of cottage was what is was - only 600 sq feet (as promised) but it was all we needed. Plus it was dead quiet up there - only one other cottage rented (as far as we could tell). Satellite TV was fine - however the Wi-Fi connection was not strong enough in cottage to connect properly. Not a deal breaker for us.....
Really enjoyed our stay - would recommend to others - will be back next year for sure!

Room Tip: Depends on size you need - for a couple, Gray Wolf cottage is perfect. Lovely deck - fairly private...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MICHAEL P
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We recently stayed at Barry' Bay Cottage Resort for a week in cottage number 12 (3 bedroom). We were very pleased with it as it was well equipped and comfortable for the 8 of us. Remembering it is a cottage not a condo rental in Florida. Cable TV, DVD, linens, full kitchen etc. It was not most updated, but appliances were newer, clean and what we expected. We had a private hot tub which was a great bonus and a larger back yard than most of the others where we set up our badminton and enjoyed the fire pit. We paid for our own canoe for 3 days and they picked it up after 4 days. We had to bring the canoe to the dock everytime we used it, which was a bit of work. There were always canoes, peddle boats, kayaks and life jackets available to use, but not sure if that was the norm or just because that week there were familieis with younger kids and they didn't use them. There is a playground, sand toys, balls, pool noodles, raquets, skipping ropes etc. for the kids to use and my kids 5 and 7 had a great time. There is a beach and though it is small, it never seemed to be an issue as the kids were mainly building sand castles all together, in the water etc. There is a water trampoline and dock to lounge on and the water was 23 degrees and with a clear sandy bottom. We spent most of our time in the canoe, and it was beautiful scenery especially early morning and at dusk. My only suggestions are that they have a basket ball net but it is sand and grass underneath and would be better if paved. They have a Moose Lounge with pool table, ping pong, board games, free WIFI but it was very old, dusty, dirty and outdated and seemed to have never been cleaned or maintained. It needs a lot of work, to be a place I would want to spend time in. I also feel that they should check equipment and replace broken items on a more regular basis, all the pails were cracked, raquets broken, games missing pieces and while I know parents should be supervising their kids and making sure they care for things and put them back this was not the case. Barry's Bay is about 5 min drive and they have a Valu Mart and Metro with prices comparable to home as well as some great little shops with unique items to buy and some great restaurants. Fill your gas tank in Bancroft as it was 132.9 in Barrys Bay and 117.0 in Bancroft! It was a great week and we will definately return next summer as it was very fun and relaxing despite the small issues. Some people complained in other reviews about the noise from the highway, but it didn't really bother us as it is not the 401 and only a few vehicles pass by and the main noise would be from trucks.

Room Tip: cottages on water are convenient if you want your own dock cottages opposite are great for having a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank L C
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I had read some of the reviews prior to going so I was on guard but I have to say that I have absolutely no complaint about my time there...as a matter of fact it exceeded my expectation.
Being the time of year that I went perhaps the highway is not that busy, but I live in Toronto so the noise from the highway is very minimal. I have more traffic on my suburban side street in a day. The cottage was neat, tidy, very clean. Everything was in great working order. There is so much to see and do in the area and the Welcome package came in very handy. I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say. I had the time of my life and would recommend it to anyone who wants a cottage experience in one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen in Ontario. The off-season rates are affordable and in line with the other cottage rentals. The website is very well constructed and gives an accurate description of the resort and the cottages.

Room Tip: Depending on what you are looking for I think there is a cottage for everyone. I think the website...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple