“A work in progress!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Harcourt
Gatineau, Canada
“A work in progress!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We visited White Pine Shores in July 2013.
So, if you want to relax in a beautiful setting with absolutely NO distraction other than black flies and nightly star shows this is the place.
I titled this review A work in progress because the hotel is just that.
Accomodations: The rooms are clean and a good size. Apparently the rooms on the upper levels are the better choices. Bed was comfortable.
Food: The meals served at the hotel are good of the homemade variety. I recommend ordering the Table d'hôte. Simple but good and even better because you dont have to cook it!!!
Service: The foyer of this hotel is grand. Lots of comfy sofas to relax in and watch the world go by! You will be greeted by a smile at White Pine Shores! Every attempt will be made to accomodate you. We had a quite interesting talk with Ken, a friend of the owner who manages the place on weekends. Much work has already been done to revamp the hotel and the work is obviously on going. The interior pool was filled with water but I dont think it was yet open to the public. There are a few cottages for rent near the lake. You can benefit from a small beach area and this is but a short distance from the hotel (10 minute walk). They were clearing a large area adjacent to the hotel where they will be putting up more cottages or real estate. Dont remember which. We did not hear any construction noise during our stay. Actually, we heard NO noise at all.. Quiet to the max!!!
Activities: The golf course. Well, again it is a work in progress. My husband played a few times. There are some picturesque and challenging holes. The greens are ok.

We feel this hotel is a place to stay mid-trip between destinations. I would not stay a week. You also need to go at least 15k in both directions to get to civilisation!..

So, we appreciate the efforts the hotel is making. Good direction might bring the place to its full potential and we sincerely hope for this to happen.

Thank you White Pine Shores and thank you Ken for the interesting conversations!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper level
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

WOW!! What a great weekend thirty family and friends had gathering at White Pine Shores. We pretty well had the whole place to ourselves for parties and swimming and golf and shopping (at Maynooth......fun little town not far away with lots of friendly people and cute little shops ). The golf course is a very pretty nine hole track with many challenges to test your skills and spectacular views to distract you from less than spectacular golf shots! Lots of work is being done to make it even more challenging! The staff at WPS couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Each person seemed to make it a priority to see that we were happy with everything. And we certainly were! The anniversary dinner was beautifully prepared and delicious and the dining room looked extra special beyond what we had requested. The only thing needed to make this resort A1 is more money to be spent on all the upgrades they would love to be able to do. So help them out by coming for a few days and spending some time and money at a great place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Patty B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Staff is warm and friendly and does their best to make your stay enjoyable. Will go the extra mile. Lots to do on site ...golf, canoe, walking/hiking or just relax at the pool. Rooms are clean. New pub will be welcomed - but the food is good. Everyone is welcome -easy going and laid back. This was our 3 stay and we continue to go back for some R&R. Love that there is seriously limited cell service....makes it nice an quiet all over the resort!

Room Tip: the corner/honeymoon/upgrades suites are fabulous for a weekend with a sitting area and great TV...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karrie S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Highlights:
- Clean and spacious room
- Walk/Hike Algonquin Park
- Clean and cosy swimming pool
- Customer service

Drawbacks:
- Beach location & boats not working
- Food at the pub/restaurant
- Dated décor

Full review:

I stayed her with my fiancé, sister and dad for the Labour Day long weekend in September. I purchased a voucher through TravelZoo. We upgraded our room to accommodate the two extra people. Our upgraded room included two queen-sized beds separated by a door divider. The room layout was a little odd, but it still fit our needs.

I was very apprehensive at first after reading all the experiences people had. At this point I had already invited two additional guests and it was too late to change plans for the weekend. So nevertheless, we ventured off to White Pine Shores Resorts. We were quite surprised when we arrived. We thought the place was pretty nice and the staff at the front desk was really nice, friendly and helpful. We thought our room was spacious and clean. It was dated, and but I didn't expect glamour in the country. We had a satellite TV with MANY channels and options. Room had A/C and was kept at a good temperature. Beds were comfortable, and bathroom was clean (room 306). We were also situated in the corner, which provided a nice view of the nature behind the hotel.

The amenities in the hotel included a swimming pool which my dad found very nice, at the perfect temperature and CLEAN. It was a small pool, so do not expect to do long laps. There are no lights at night, and no lifeguard on duty. Play safe.

The lower floor had a pool table, which provided some entertainment in the dark country night.

The pub and restaurant was decor nice. Nothing too rave about but it provided a cozy atmosphere for its guests. The food was edible but nothing amazing, very plain. Breakfast was buffet which offered variety but it was not distinctive. HOWEVER, 10 minutes south from the Resort is a nice little cottage restaurant called The Olde Ridge Authentic Barbecue (corner of Loop Road and Elephant Lake Road). THIS WAS DELICIOUS FULL FLAVOURED BBQ. Note: Hours of operation are not consistent throughout the week.

The biggest drawback of this place was the location. Everyone has to remember that this is a GOLF resort rather than a BEACH resort. The beach is located 10 min from the resort (walking, 2 minute drive). The walk to the beach was not pretty. It rained the night before so for us it was a little muddy walking there. We were walking through a clearing on tracks made by the ATVs. Definitely not what was expected here. The beach itself is pretty small. They had boats and canoes but we only saw two (one of each) both days. The motor on one did not work, so we had to row out to go fishing. The Resort rents out a Cottage that is located ON the beach, and you share your beach with this cottage and its guests. It is a little odd. If you are staying at the cottage, you have to share your beach with other resort guests. If you are a resort guests, you feel like you are intruding on someone else’s beach property.

The Resort is close to its 9 hole golf course across the street. We didn’t have time to golf, but it seemed busy and for the cost, well worth the money. But because we didn’t golf the course, I cannot provide a review on the difficulty or greens.

The resort is also located 5 minute drive way from Algonquin Park. I highlight recommend the walk/mild hike. It was great exercise and fantastic scenery.

Earlier in the week we were called about booking spa appointments, when I called back later in the week, unfortunately the spa was closed for the weekend. That was a slight disappointment but it did not hinder our stay.

The customer service at this place was very good. We were greeted and helped properly by the front desk (forgot his name). We had great advice from Lori who seems to do everything at this resort. We had a great recommendations from the cook Matt. The only weakness was our dinnertime server and reservationist. She seemed incapable of handling more than a few tables during dinner and seemed really stressed (and it showed). Administratively she also took down our reservation incorrectly. Nevertheless, I found their customer service to be one of the advantages.

Overall, we had a very nice relaxing weekend. If you choose to come here, don’t expect over the top resort with glitz and glamour. Instead expect a group of friendly staff who want you to enjoy your stay as much as possible.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room, its worth the money to get a spacious room and a better view (upgraded rooms gene...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank clumsythief
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We (husband & baby) stayed here using a travelzoo voucher for two nights. This is a wonderful place to stay and was very relaxing. My only complaint was our room - room 301 was very small and there was no A/C at all (we had a fan instead), but the room where my brother's family stayed - room 309 was very large and the A/C was ice cold. All the rooms have LCD TV with cable. Your cell phone will not work in this area (unless you're with Bell as stated by staff), but they do have wireless internet connection. We didn't have time to use the swimming pool, but it looked really nice and clean.

The location is great and the drive down (3+ hrs) had a lot of beautiful scenery and a nice winding road. Near the resort is a large lake (1 min. drivel) which has a small sand pit for the kids to play in, comfortable lawn chairs, canoe, few kayaks and a motor boat with life jackets of various sizes. My husband fished along the shore, but only caught one tiny little fish.

Breakfast was included in our voucher for both nights and tasted really good - eggs, bacon or sausage, bread or pancake with fruit and cereal for the kids, juice, coffee and tea were all included! The price for lunch was very reasonable and the food was really good! Dinner was also included with our voucher and also tasted great! They don't have a huge selection for lunch or dinner and the restaurant isn't kid friendly (no highchairs), but I brought my own booster seat from home, so it wasn't an issue.

Staff were very friendly, especially Lori. If you need any assistance, you can ask her directly. She knows the area well and can offer ideas on things to do throughout your stay.

A short 10 min. drive away is a small waterfall which is approximately a 30min. hike to the waterfall. If you are going hiking with small kids, leave the stroller behind as it is a very rocky/bumpy walk.

In the end, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 301 - very small and no AC. Room 309 is much larger and ice cold AC.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shobana T
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed here with a Travelzoo package; $200 for two nights including one breakfast and one supper.

The room (304) was clean and looked recently renovated (paint, bath, floor). Décor would rate 2 out of 5. In-room TV and refrigerator. Biggest drawback, no in-room air conditioning. We stayed Aug 21-23 and it was hot, very uncomfortable sleep due only to heat! The hallway had some A/C so we kept door open a lot to try to reduce heat. Tiny window did nothing to allow air flow. Cooler weather might make for a better stay.

Hotel condition appears to be under renovation, although no active work seemed to be going on. Lobby is also the golf store and office and spa check in, etc. Lobby has large seating areas, but paint spatter, dirt and water leak stains take away from that. Spa is closed as it's still being built. Beach is a 10 minute walk, you will be escorted by black flies. Beach itself is small but ok, the lake is nice, the water clear but the bottom is weeds and slimy. Area is remote, you are miles from anything built up.

Restaurant food was good, it was not boxed meals as some suggested. The décor again is lacking however with folding tables and chairs. There were very few people staying there and less eating there.

Other than the beach, there is nothing to do here. Villages and towns are miles away but they make for nice day trips to break away from the hotel. It was an adequate home base to visit the area. There is an indoor pool which looks new, but again the room it is in needs TLC. There is no fitness room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MarkJuliann

Travellers are raving about these Harcourt hotels

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I spent two wonderful nights last weekend at White Pine Shores and enjoyed it so much that we've booked another weekend before winter. During our stay the resort was fully booked and some folks without reservations had to be turned away. I had to wait quite a while before we were able to get onto the golf course as it was very busy but this was not a problem for us as we were staying there for the weekend and enjoyed relaxing in the lobby. This place is just minutes from Algonquin Park and the country side is peaceful and breathtaking.
I'm told that the resort has just completed most of its renovations as almost everything advertised is in very good functioning order. I am a bit surprised at some of the bad reviews.Maybe during the week the facilities are understaffed and thus running at half tilt but I'm sure that has to be as a result of slow bookings. Ken the manager was very engaging and accommodating and the staff on weekends are charming beyond necessary.
The amenities are over the top given that the hotel has only 20 rooms. It has a massive lobby, two banquet halls, a games room, a clean pool, a pub and a restaurant on site. The furniture in the lobby is dated for the most part and I pointed this out to the staff.The resort also has a golf course on the other side of the road which can rival anything in beauty and difficulty anywhere in the region. I was spent once done on the nine although I play golf in the Durham region on a regular basis.
There seems to be a lot of work in progress as cottages are being planned for shortly and I get to understand the owners have poured more than $1.5 million into this property.
I found the food quite acceptable, not gourmet dining but my expectations when it comes to food are quite low.
The room my wife and I stayed in was fully refurbished and better than most motels in GTA as the bed is very comfortable. Bathroom is brand new and a flat screen TV is a nice touch. I can't speak about internet and phone because I did not have to use these items as I'm there for recreation not work but I can't fault people wanting to work while taking a break or being in touch with their families. I just don't see the need for that. I think the amenities at the hotel is worth more than the price I paid.
The path to the lake is still dirt but its cottage country and while I would prefer asphalt I like the sight of dirt but that's my personal preference. All in all I had a wonderful time. We were four of us and I believe the others felt the same way. This is not a five star facility so don't expect Deerhurst but you're not paying that price. Set your expectations right and you'll have a great time. And a vacation is what you make it. I've seen a lot of people complain about things that they should be grateful for and would never be happy regardless of how beautiful the surroundings are.
Just go with an open mind and you would really have a good time.

Room Tip: The suites are just gorgeous. Ask for the upgrade. You might just get for the same price as regular.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank boom100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harcourt
Bancroft Inn & Suites
#1 of 9 in Haliburton
Lakeview Motel
Lakeview Motel
#3 of 9 in Haliburton

Been to Nomi Resort? Share your experiences!