“Fantastic Getaway”

Cree Village Ecolodge
Midland, Canada
“Fantastic Getaway”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I went to Moose Factory with a group a students and professors for two weeks and we did not know what to expect up north, and all I have to say is I was not expecting the Cree Village Ecolodge. The lodge is incredible from the beautiful rooms with great views, amazingly friendly staff, to the incredibly great food. We went from late April to early May and were able to see a winter wonderland and by the end of the trip we were in T-shirts! The ice break of the Moose River was breathtaking; even locals were coming to the shore to watch! The culture was rich and the drum circles were marvellous. I recommend this Lodge to any who are looking for an adventure north to a serine getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side of the Lodge are facing the Moose River (better view) and you have a choice...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Came up for a week to get away from the big city. My goal was to slow down time and stare at nature. Both were achieved!

Very friendly people, great food, and an absolutely gorgeous view from my room (#16 on the 2nd floor).

I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rumour has it there's a jacuzzi in #17...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tim N
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Can't wait to back again! The food was fine dining, the decor is simple but modern and natural. The staff are friendly islanders. I was teary-eyed when I flew out over the island en route home, so sad to go.

• Stayed February 2013
Wawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2013

What a beautiful location with friendly people and great food. The maple baked salmon was amazing. The hotel is clean and comfortable, Wifi and a great overall experience. I did not have cell service but brought a calling card as there are phones in the room. I can't wait to see it in the summer!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank NiceHotelSeeker
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

People in Moose Factory were extremely helpful as I made my way around Moosonee and Moose Factory, without knowing my way. Bring cash for the taxi between Moosonee and Moose Factory, as well as to get around generally. Things are not always within reasonable walking distance in winter. My bags came on the next flight, and airport staff offered to bring them to wherever I would like when they arrived. The fine dining room has stunning high ceilings, window views to the nature outside, and beautiful hickory furniture. The food was fantastic, with a range of foods from chicken fingers to fine dining steaks and fish. I tried the high and low end of the menu. Everything is prepared and served beautifully, so no matter what you order, you are in for a real treat! There is a cozy library (floor to ceiling book shelves too) off the lobby perfect for curling up on the couch there for a read and cup of tea. The room was spotless, warm and so inviting with all the natural wood, beautiful organic cotton linens and pillows, organic wool blankets, and even organic mattresses and carpeting! I don't breathe well in hotels and the air was beautiful overnight. I had a view of the river and enjoyed the quiet stillness of the sunset. Stunning! Service was exceptional, so friendly, and helpful. Quiet and slept so well! Fair trade organic coffee, bagels, orange juice, cereal and toast are at the breakfast bar along one wall of the little library in the mornings. I was there for work and this was a beautiful relaxing retreat in the evenings. Can't say enough about how friendly and welcoming the people are, at the lodge, the taxi drivers, the airport people, and the local residents I met during my stay. You can also find several local television stations among the many channels. They are listed in the bedside table guide. The guide will also give you a history and all the details of the ecological choices made building the lodge, as well as interesting information about the communities (Moosonee\MooseFactory). If you are looking for a cultural experience, as one reviewer mentioned they did not receive, do not expect an exaggerated tourist show. This community has a lot going on and does not cater specifically to tourism. You will get a more subtle understanding of people's culture and tradition by just being there in the community and with people, over time.

Room Tip: Some rooms have jacuzzi bathtubs, while others have eco showers only. Some rooms provide a view of t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank datalink
New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I spent three days at the Eco Lodge last month and another five days just now. I can't rave enough about the creative and delicious vegetarian cuisine that I was offered.

Breakfasts were simple--I had muslix with yogurt or whole wheat toast with really great fair trade organic coffee. Each evening at supper time, I had my camera ready--the food was consistenly amazing visually and of course in taste.

Rooms are comfortable and warm (important at this grey time of year), and all the staff are friendly and accommodating. I was up for work, but am already planning a vacation to Moose Factory to share this gem with my family.

Room Tip: When you visit, bring slippers--you can leave your dirty boots at the door and comfortably walk arou...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Amanda M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 September 2012

In response to the previous review by cybercrone it may provide some context to post the "visitor welcome" that the Cree village EcoLodge provides to visitors...

Welcome to Cree Village EcoLodge and Moose Factory. Please visit with a spirit of humility and openness to meet and talk with local people.

You will be best received in our community if you actively listen and observe. We have a long history, rich in culture and tradition. Our community predates Canada and European settlement; you may find we have a somewhat different perspective.

Your stay may be challenging. This is not a developed tourist destination, but rather a community with its own pace of life. Respect for others is a defining value of the community. If you wish to take pictures of someone it is always polite to ask. Respect what seems different or unusual. Most people will tell you what they can, but may not have the answers you seek. Most people will be open and helpful if you are respectful.

Please don’t expect to see the Indian way of life on display. Cree culture is centered on the family. Most people act and dress like you do, watch the same movies and enjoy the Internet. As you find differences in manner or attitude, we hope you will be surprised and intrigued by our way of life.

Some local residents make their livelihood showing visitors around. However knowledge and sharing of history, customs or culture will vary by individual. Some are happy to engage, others less so. If you inquire at the front desk we may be able to make arrangements for you to take a tour of the community, rent a canoe, or join a boat tour to James Bay.

From time to time there are celebrations in the community - some traditional, some secular, some religious. As they occur you can ask about attending. In most cases you will be welcome. There are very few events planned just for visitors.

As you explore our quiet community, we hope your experience will take an opportunity to reflect and deepen your understanding of our culture.

You are welcome here, megwiitch.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room, and try the cranberry tea.
Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank HoboBrooks

Been to Cree Village Ecolodge? Share your experiences!