“Awesome Experience”

Cree Village Ecolodge
Lindsay, Canada
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Having never been north of Sudbury in the past or never having experienced an extended time immersed in a different culture (Moose Cree First Nation) I was uncertain what to expect. 11 nights in the Ecolodge was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. The staff were completely accomodating,and that means daily, often going above and beyond to ensure our stay with them and within the community was enjoyable. The river view from our room was just beautiful and the rooms themselves are well appointed. This is a First Nation community and not easily accessible but if you like new adventures and enjoy meeting new people and exploring new cultures, I can assure you this is a very worthwhile venture. The restraunt food is fabulous as well.

Room Tip: Coose a room with a view of the river. recommend the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Brian S
Greg W, General Manager at Cree Village Ecolodge, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments Brian. Always a pleasure to have a person like you who comes respectfully and quietly to learn about Cree culture. I'm always amazed at how people here recognize so quickly a kindness of spirit in someone. The world opened up for you here and you were invited into some pretty unique experiences. I can't sell what you experienced and it cannot be purchased, but it can and does happen when you meet people with openness and respect. Brian, we truly look forward to seeing you again and it was a pleasure to spend time with you.

Gitchi Meegwetch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I spent one night and two days on Moose Factory Island. My family stayed in the Cree owned/operated Ecolodge and were very impressed. The building is absolutely beautiful and has won prestigious architectural awards for its use of wood. There's wood everywhere: desks, intricately made chair, beautiful supporting beams.

The staff are very laid back, and while some may expect more direct service, the relaxed approach to afterhours accommodation is very welcome (i.e. guests have after-hours access to a small library, dining room, and kitchen area if you want to boil some water for tea at midnight).

Since it was a bit overcast when I was there, the stars weren't as clear as I would've liked, but the mosquitoes weren't bad either...so there's that.

We took a boat (freighter canoe with outboard motor) up to the mouth of James Bay. One of the local guys took us up, and the ecolodge can put you in touch with him.

It was very quiet at night, and looking out onto the Moose River was a very tranquil experience.

Keep in mind that Moose Factory Island is accessible from Moosonee only by water taxi ($15 a person each way I think) so have cash on you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ttkco
Greg W, General Manager at Cree Village Ecolodge, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
I truly appreciate you taking the time to review the Eco Lodge.

Gitchi Meegwetch
{A very big thank you}

Greg Williams
Cree Village Eco Lodge
England
Reviewed 2 November 2013

we booked for a meal only, having read that they offer authentic cree food. Shame they were all but shut when we arrived.No staff turned up to serve so they said they would do us a meal then close the restaurant. pickerel was dry. Ribs were dry, no drinks. Staff did not know what dishes were anyway. It was all a bit sad and empty. There was a vast array of dead insects in the breakfast area, that had not been cleaned for days. Not recommended and be warned - a water taxi return from Moosenee is 30 CDollars return. A bit rough and ready to sell itself as an eco lodge. No info on local area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jane L
Greg W, General Manager at Cree Village Ecolodge, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Please let me begin with my deepest regrets for your dining experience here at the Eco Lodge. Unfortunately we were experiencing a confluence of issues during that time and we were not at our best. I thank you for your comments and concerns. I take full responsibility for your displeasure and disappointment and again I am deeply sorry. I hope one day you return and we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Greg Williams
Cree Village Eco Lodge
Orillia, Ontario
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My spouse and I travelled to Moose Factory during the 3rd week of August 2013.

After completing our pre-trip research it looked as though the Eco Lodge was THE place to stay in the Moosonee/Moose Factory area....and we were not disappointed. Even if you intend to spend most of your time in Moosonee we would recommend the 5-10 minute water taxi ride to the Factory in order to stay at the lodge. ($15/person/1 way)

The lodge is located on the Moose River waterfront and the architecture is unique and attractive. Our room was clean and well appointed. We were lucky to be located on the north-west corner of the second floor which had windows in both the north and west walls thereby affording a lovely view of the river and islands.

At about 0430 in the morning we observed a group of 3 coyotes passing under our windows...pretty neat.

Note that the rooms are not air conditioned....they are equipped with ceiling fans only...it was 27 degrees and humid when we were there so it made for a steamy night in the room.

The dining room is impressive with a very high peaked ceiling. It is supported by log beams and is of wooden construction. The floor is covered in beautiful ceramic (or possibly marble) tile. The view is straight out to the river.

Breakfast is limited self serve continental (bagels, bread, jam, coffee, tea, juice...)

The restaurant was open for dinner from 5-7 PM when we were there. Menu is on a chalk board with several selections available...and although none were vegetarian one can request a vegy plate...my spouse received a nice plate of mixed vegetables, peppers, rice, etc...I had the Elk burger...it was good but personally I prefer beef. There were salmon and whitefish meals, among other selections offered as well....

Note that the restaurant does not offer alcoholic beverages...in case you are so inclined.

I would like to point out that the staff running the lodge is small so do not expect a cosmopolitan city hotel type of environment....for example, for the times when the restaurant is closed I would strongly suggest that one equip oneself with bottled water and some food....there are no vending machines or other source of food and drink unless one makes the 20 minute walk to the convenience store or GG's store....the tap water in the room is potable but as checkout time is 1000 A.M. this may not be an option...my spouse and I were scheduled for a tour to the mouth of the river at 1pm so we had 3 hours to kill with no access to a room.....we were, however, invited to wait in the dining room or library which we did as it was raining and we had in any case explored the Factory the day previous. Note that there are public washrooms off the dining room.

As to exploring the Factory we were equipped with a map provided by the lodge...so we took a long walk to view the sights...there are some historic Hudson Bay Company buildings and a grave yard, an old church, and the Cree Cultural Interpretive Centre ....but disappointingly all were boarded up or closed, with the exception of the graveyard which was interesting. We were told that as tourism has been very slow there was no point in keeping these attractions open.

Note that none of the streets/roads in Moosonee/Moose Factory are paved...so your walk will either be dusty or muddy...We recommend good footwear and backpack as opposed to rolling luggage....there are sidewalks in Moosonee but sooner or later one will have to cross a road.

Boat trip to James Bay: We highly recommend George S. as a guide. The Ecolodge can provide his contact information. George has a lifetime of knowledge of the area, and the culture, and combined with a good sense of humour makes a terrific story teller.

For the trip to the bay we highly recommend long pants/sleeves and mosquito repellant. These bugs are no problem on the water but we stopped at the bird sanctuary at the mouth of the river...we were on land for about 30 seconds when the bugs noticed us...my bare legs were covered in the little blood suckers...seriously....I could not see skin. We hi-tailed it back to the boat followed by a swarm of mosquitos and horse flies who joined us in the boat until we got underway....

This is wild country but if one is properly prepared, little problems like bugs can be managed, and the adventure is definitely worth it.

The train trip from Cochrane to Moosonee takes about 5 hours....we managed to stay awake on the northbound trip in order to miss nothing...however there are very few sites other than trees and the occasional river crossing...the crossing over the Moose River is spectacular and shouldn't be missed.

Our recommendation for the train journey .....take a good book ....at least for the return trip.

All in all we enjoyed the trip and would stay at the Ecolodge again.

Room Tip: ask for a riverfront room....we liked the northwest corner room...(room 14 or 16??)...windows on 2 w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BeachedWood
Ontario
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended, low key, beautiful dining room, great view westwards, menu on the blackboard, and of course unlicensed.. We enjoyed duck and rabbit. Dinner service ends at 730 so don't plan a late visit....Will come back!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank david_sceno
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The ecolodge is really comfortable and the staff are really accommodating. The continental breakfast was good. The evening meal was really limited and not very good if you are a vegetarian. There is not a lot to do on the island so to be honest I would only stay one night unless you want complete peace and quiet then stay more. Our room 4 the blinds did not work so a bit annoying but nothing major. Make sure you have enough bug spray as the bugs are vicious.

Room Tip: Check if you are staying in room 4 that the blind has been mended - that is the only reason I have g...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Paula F
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The staff was very accommodating, and the dinner was great. They also offered a very nice continental breakfast. Rooms are clean and comfortable with scenic views and a fantastic sunset! The Lodge itself is beautiful, inside and out. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 143tom

Been to Cree Village Ecolodge? Share your experiences!