“The view...breath taking!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calibishie
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“The view...breath taking!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife surprised me with this trip for my birthday: a return to Dominica where I'd attended medical school 18 years ago. I had spent very little time on the Atlantic coast of the island but that was a mistake. Calibishie cove and the town of Calibishie are the perfect place to enjoy the island. We arrived a day early and stayed in the Rain Forest room which was nice and even had AC. The next night, we moved up to the penthouse. I had to pinch myself to see if this was a dream. It was perfect. The views were like none we'd every experienced. We loved the open air concept and the constant breeze meant we didn't miss the AC. The plunge pool and out door shower were welcoming after returning from long days exploring Dominica. Daily breakfast was a nice touch and wonderful food. The hike to and from Hodges Beach, just below the inn, was a little tough but we found many beautiful beaches that had easy access during our stay. Rent a car...it's a must to truly see the whole island. The village just below the hotel is very friendly and safe. I can't imagine any where more perfect to stay in Dominica than Calibishie Cove. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Stay in the penthouse!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bobby K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights during on honeymoon in Dominica. 3 of the nights were in the Penthouse and it definitely worth it if you decide to stay here. The other rooms fell a lot less private but the penthouse is the entire top floor of the building and has the most sweeping views you will find. Peaches the cook is very nice and will bring you many local tea's and fruit every morning in addition to your breakfast order. We did 2 excursions through Calibishie Cove, but as others have noted if you are doing anything in the southern part of the island it is a day with at least 2 - 3 hours of driving. Overall it was a great experience as we had a rental car and could explore the island on our own and always come back to the lovely views Calibishie Cove offers.

Ryan B

Room Tip: Penthouse for privacy and the best views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan B
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The views of Calibishie Cove could not possibly be any better. You can hardly see another rooftop when looking out across the balcony and the only other view is the ocean. It was a beautiful and serene retreat. Some of the more adventurous parts of the island (rappelling and hiking the boiling lake) did involve a bit of a drive, we found that the drive was worth it to stay in such a beautiful place.

Room Tip: You just cannot beat the penthouse views, though our friends stayed in the room with A/C and seemed...
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This place has nice views, but it's not really worth it. Given the long drive to any of the main attractions on the island- and the fact that the entire island of Dominica is nothing but a spectacular view - your money and your time will be better spent elsewhere.

We came here specifically based on all the great reviews from tripadvisor and travel magazines in the past. However, the place is under new ownership and so my experience may be based on a change in management and philosophy.

Because we stayed with friends, we had a chance to spend a significant amount of time in 3 of the 4 rooms - including the penthouse. The rooms are nice, clean, updated and relatively spacious. The staff is friendly. The food is good. This place is a "good" place to stay - especially if you really want to stay on the north end of the island. However, we did not experience anything that would justify the many outstanding reviews that brought us here in the first place.

I have lived in tropical areas before, so I am familiar with "island time," so my concerns aren't about the Dominican way of life - my concerns are that, given the hundreds of places I've stayed in my life on professional, diplomatic, and leisure travel, this has been a "below average" stay in all respects except for the view. And every day seemed to bring something new.

We spent a week here and this is NOT the place to stay if you have dietary concerns because food preparation wasn't consistent. The food was always excellent, but although they advertise breakfast to order - it normally wasn't. It wasn't done in a malicious way - it's just that the kitchen staff either didn't read the order from the night before, or didn't think that it would matter if they gave us whatever they wanted to give us -- that we would just eat it and be happy. This could easily cause problems for someone that has dietary restrictions. Part of the problem is that it doesn't appear that the property has a service vehicle or gets supplied in a consistent manner. Therefore, I think it is entirely possible that the cooks are often forced to use what they have on hand, rather than what they could get. Getting a consistent supply of food seems to be a problem for all the establishments on this side of the island - where the closest "large" grocery store is 45 minutes away and still doesn't always have things that should be readily available, like "crab" -- despite the fact that the island is literally crawling with them.

If you value privacy, do NOT stay in the Rainforest Suite. Although you "could" feel like you are in the middle of the rainforest overlooking the ocean, the effect is completely spoiled by the fact that the staff must constantly come onto your balcony in order to get supplies for themselves and the other guests (the hotel supply room is located ON the Rainforest Suite balcony). If you are very sociable and welcome constant company and conversation, then this is the room for you. This is NOT the room for romantic get-aways, newlyweds, or anniversaries. It is, however, the only room with A/C.

Penthouse has amazing views, but depending on the time of year, the lack of A/C could be a problem for some people. It generally cools off at night, but if there is no breeze and if it's humid, it can make for a rough night of sleep - not what you want before a 2 hour drive for a 7 am departure time to begin your 6-hour strenuous hike to the "Boiling Lake."

FYI. No televisions here. I wasn't looking to have one, but it could be a problem for some families or couples that are looking to do something in the evening when it gets dark (besides drink at the local bar - a 10 minute walk) - and it gets dark early here - by 6:30 pm. No streaming netflix here either, so if you need to watch something in the the evening before you go to sleep, bring a computer and DVDs.

You MUST have a car if you stay here - or be prepared to pay a significant amount of money for a driver for every excursion you take. And really, if you are coming to Dominica, you are coming for the outdoor life and the nature hikes -- most of which are at least 45 minutes away from here. If you stay in Roseau, you could go scuba diving, hiking, canyoning, and sit on the beach and never need to rent a car. If you stay here, there will only be two places to eat dinner and one place to eat lunch (if you make arrangements the day before) within walking distance.

You MUST bring hiking shoes or Teva's at a minimum if you come here. Although it looks like there is a beach here that you can walk to, it is a 15 minute hike down the side of the hill. Do NOT attempt this walk in flip-flops. This means that, for all intents and purposes, you do not have easy beach access. If you have kids, or are older, or not in great shape, this is not the place to visit if you want to walk to the beach. Moreover, the closest "nice" beach is a 10 minute drive -- meaning you need a car. What kind of eco-vacation requires a car?

The internet is spotty and doesn't always work. Yes, I know that I'm on an eco-vacation to begin with and I'm not here to spend all my time on the internet. However, it's BECAUSE I'm spending all day hiking in the rainforest or experiencing the incredible beauty here that when I do finally get back at night, and there isn't phone service back to the U.S. or Europe, that I need to be sure that everything back home is okay -- otherwise I have to worry about whether or not something happened to the kids or the dog or my parents or my business. And considering that Dominica has some of the best overall internet service in the whole region, there is absolutely NO excuse. How can I really enjoy myself on my vacation if I'm worried about my loved ones?

And although there is "security" here every night from 9 pm to 4 am, I don't really trust it. Often we would see the security guy half a kilometer away from the property when we were returning at night. And once, when my wife screamed at night after dropping something on her foot, security never even showed up to investigate.

It's like this property has everything in place to be "great", but nothing actually works properly, and if you look even slightly below the surface, the whole thing falls apart. I didn't stay here before the change in ownership so I can't say what it was like before; however, I can say that this trip absolutely did not live up to my expectations -- and I have spent a significant portion of my life living and working in places like Dominica, so I am not simply complaining because this is not the Ritz-Carlton in NYC, I am unhappy because the place is NOT as advertised and we did not have the outstanding experience that the Tripadvisor reviews seemed to promise.

Overall, this place is best for a couple that can afford the penthouse and wants to sit and look at the views, isn't terribly interested in seeing lots of things in a short period of time, doesn't mind long drives on curvy one-lane roads (with the constant threat of oncoming traffic), and isn't terribly fussed about food or service. This is adventure travel - not "luxury" adventure travel.

In the past, I suppose the inherent disadvantages of the the property were overcome by the outstanding views and service. The view is still outstanding.

Room Tip: If you are looking for privacy, don't take the room with the A/C - it's a heavy traffic area...
9 Thank diptvlr
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This place is typical of third-world country "luxury" travel. All the ideas and intentions are there but a lot of things aren't thought out or executed to completion. We stayed in the one and only air conditioned room. The first two nights we were in the Sea View room, so I can compare the island breeze to AC and have to say AC wins. Unless you are used to the conditions, it is just too hot to sleep. And the sun is up at 5. Yes, there is a breeze, and it's lovely but not enough to sleep comfortably. Breakfast is to order but cannot be had before 8:30. Most excursions and things to do on the island are well over an hour a way, so 8:30 is kind of late. My order was incorrect several times (keep in mind, 4 guests are here at a time, so it's not like anyone should be overwhelmed by a no-onions-please omelet.) Our room has a "private" deck and patio, but because it is located between the kitchen and the lobby (a desk in a hall) people are constantly traipsing through it. There is also an employee bathroom and a supply closet right off the "private patio" so... yeah. Incessant interruptions and people walking in your personal space. As I write this, I have had maintenance men, kitchen ladies, and another guest come through 5 or 6 times already. You have to make your own coffee in terrible, old coffee makers - the kitchen cannot make coffee. The coffee provided is some sort of awful. There are no ash trays, very little cutlery and glass ware, instant creamer for coffee, and you get 1 beach towel and 1 bath towel per person. The bathroom is teeeeny in every room (we have seen the 3 largest rooms) - the counter space is about textbook sized in all. Same with the night stands - doll sized and completely useless. There is very little space to put your things - we had one dresser with 4 small drawers and about 8 hangers. Internet is very spotty - that is actually why we switched rooms - Sea View had none. The furniture is not useful - the recliners are low but the table is too high so eating is awkward. All meals have to be ordered a day in advance. The menu doesn't change, so gets boring quick. Peaches the cook is wonderful, and the food is good but there are 4 entres on the menu for dinner and breakfast is either eggs or waffles. As far as the rest of the staff - again, really odd. They are either all here en masse or no one is around at all, even though supposedly someone should man the "front desk" until 9 pm. The view is pretty but Calibishie Cove is literally at the furthest end of the (only) road and I think the island. Doing anything requires a very difficult and long drive. There is only 1 restaurant within walking distance. There was only 1 more within a 20 minute driving distance that was deemed ok for tourists. I would definitely not recommend this as your base for an active vacation - there is nothing at all to do here at all, and everything (diving, canyoning, Indian River, Boiling lake, whale watching, hiking, all the waterfalls, etc., etc.) are between 1 and 2 hours' drive away, each way. You cannot hike or walk or swim here. Getting a driver is a pain from here, too. There is no beach to speak of, just a steep trek onto a rocky wild one that doesn't feel safe. We enjoyed the vacation, but in retrospect I would have chosen a much closer and central location, a definite requirement of AC and internet and maybe a larger hotel with a worked out system of service and amenities. The idea of a small boutique hotel with excellent, personal service is lovely but this place just is not it.

Room Tip: Definitely chose the one with AC.
2 Thank bonbun
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the penthouse suite for a week and the first thing that struck us was the amazing views. With a veranda on 3 sides of the suite we had the jungle on our left and hodges beach sea views front and right. The breeze from the ocean kept the room cool (it has no glass, only shutters) and you could fall asleep with only the sounds of crickets and the ocean.

The penthouse also had a roof terrace for sunbathing and even more stellar views (especially at night).

The food was nice although the menu could of had a little more variety as I was getting a little fed up of the few dishes that were on offer by the end of the week. However the local village of Calibishie had some lovely restaurants including Carols Cafe and Coral Reef.

The staff were lovely and let me mix up the evening meals for a bit of variety. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank williamstmx
Harrison
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just returned from spending 9 days at the Calibishie Cove in Dominica. We stayed in the penthouse of the bed and breakfast and the views were magnificient. The ocean breezes were amazing and kept the bugs away. No air conditioning there but definitely not necessary. The penthouse was very roomy and clean.
The breakfasts and dinners were served daily to our room by the two amazing cooks, Johanna and Peaches. Each cook has their own flair and serves local quisine to your tastes and liking and times to meet your schedule. The entire staff was exceptional and went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Our housekeeper, Geraldine, brought fresh flowers and fruit from her home for us.
We highly recommend you hire a guide to take you around the island to see the beauty and culture. Our guide, Jenner Robinson, gave us a complete tour of the entire island. His knowledge and love for the island was wonderful. Jenner is such a caring and admirable person and has a unique ability to tailor the tours to the taste and abilities of his clients. This was probably the best trip we have ever had!

Room Tip: Get the penthouse, great views and love the breeze.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calibishie
Secret Bay
Calibishie Lodges
Calibishie Lodges
#3 of 3 in Calibishie
The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar

Been to Calibishie Cove? Share your experiences!