“Idyllic Setting - Great Hosts - Stay Here!”

Escape at Red Rock Haven
Ranked #3 of 6 Calibishie B&B and Inns
Cincinnati
“Idyllic Setting - Great Hosts - Stay Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

We have just returned from Red Rock Haven and we miss it already! This place is perfect! We stayed in the Beach Room and couldn't have been happier! Stacey & Rita are excellent hosts and make you feel comfortable upon arrival! Red Rock Haven has a magical location; you feel at peace the instant you arrive. It is nestled under tall palm trees, built into a small hillside right on the ocean and surrounded by beautiful red rocks and cliffs. It is one of the most tranquil and idyllic places we have ever been.

The Beach Room was so nice and the bed was super comfortable. The stones, tiles and wood it was built from go together so naturally, I can’t think of any improvements/suggestions I would make to make it better. The Beach Room is located above the kitchen, at first glance it may appear you have no privacy, but it was constructed so smartly that it is completely private, we never heard any noises from the kitchen or the bar, the sound of the ocean lulled us into sleep each night.
We ended up eating almost all of our meals (for 4 days) right on property at the Escape Beach Bar & Grill, there are plenty of other options in Calibishie but the food was so good here there was no sense in leaving. We tried almost everything on the menu and it was all fantastic and very reasonable! We especially enjoyed the Pork Loin with the Sweet Potato Mash, the Tacos and the Tostados. The drinks were excellent too, I think we tried all of them as well and our favorite was the Sandy Toes. Our breakfasts each morning were very generous portions of freshly made eggs, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice, bagels, sausage, etc. Gingin (sp?) the cook is a local woman, she does a great job, and Elaine, the bartender and server was also excellent. We truly felt like we were part of the family/team while we were there, everyone made us feel welcome & comfortable.

The ocean is a little rough near Red Rocks, but you can swim right in front of the place. Red Rocks has several chairs and fire pits right on the ocean which is nice. You can also do a ton of exploring right from Red Rocks, we hiked in both directions and with every curve of the beach the view gets better and better, just incredible! Definitely take time to walk up to the Red Rocks, it is really neat. We went snorkeling a few inlets over and saw tons of Sea Fans in the water which was great. We also walked to Hodgens Beach and went snorkeling there before walking back into town and to Red Rocks.

We left our camera at Fort Shirley on our way to Red Rocks, Stacey & Rita were kind enough to drive us all the way back there to retrieve it and stop at some nice beaches and a waterfall, it was a perfect day! Another day they set us up with a local tour guide, Wendy with Untouchable Tours, and even made us snack wraps with Chicken which was really thoughtful.

Red Rocks really is the complete package, stunning location, amazing rooms, great foods, tasty drinks and excellent hosts! I’d give anything to be sitting at the fire pit drinking a sandy toes and talking to Stacey & Rita while listening to Stacey’s great assortment of music with the waves cracking behind us and the stars shining above the palm trees – stay at Red Rocks!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrea B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Boquete, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

What a perfect place to stay after an all night flight! It is hard to imagine why the previous reviewer called this "rustic". Yes, it has no tv, phone,or computer in the room. That is exactly what we were getting away from! Rita and Stacey have designed and built a tropical oasis where we slept with the doors wide open and heard the surf and palm trees all night! Talk about a good nights sleep! They were charming hosts and made a killer good dinner just for the 2 of us. Can you beat mahimahi while barefoot on a beach? Randy the bartender duing the day was like a caricature of the perfect island bartender...jolly, good-looking, and utterly charming! Rita and Stacey spent time with us going over maps and suggested our favorite place to snorkel at Toucari up on the northwest side. Red Rocks had a great beach, great views and was next door to Pt Baptiste which is featured in the highly recommended book Black Sands White Sands by Elma Napier. Read this book before you go to this wonderfully friendly and beautiful island!

Room Tip: The beach room was perfect! We were concerned that it might not be private enough but it is well abo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dancelessons
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Owners Stacey and Rita built and designed the Red Rock Haven on their own, after Stacey discovered the place while backpacking across northern Dominica. The rooms are perfectly rustic cabanas -- they are clean and inviting, and give you privacy, while still making you feel like you're surrounded by rainforest and a few feet from the beach. And what a beach! The water's a bit rough, but the views are absolutely spectacular. After 3 days of hiking in southern Dominica, this was the perfect retreat to sit back, relax and forget about everything.

Note this isn't a chain hotel, and you shouldn't expect every little amenity: there's no TV, phone or internet -- but we saw this a plus. Although Stacey and Rita will go out of their way to make guests happy, they are only two people (plus two dogs) and might not be around every second of the day and night. Also, our room had no door between the bedroom and toilet, which was a little strange, but we managed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Always a delight to dine at the Escape bar but staying at Red Rock Haven hotel for a second time, recently, confirms that this is one of the best hotels on the island for attention to the individual. We were made to feel special in every way. Our time was too short Stacey & Rita but keep your eyes peeled as I'm sure we will be back!!! Serenity, Bliss, Castaway although surrounded by others, hmmmm!!!

Room Tip: No fitness centre needed!!! The beach is on your doorstep as are long walks on the beach!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dominica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I am a local Dominican woman who has visited the restaurant at Red Rock Haven Hotel for many years. Last month I decided to stay at the hotel for a small vacation. The room was perfect in every way from the locally stone crafted walls to the thatched roof. The friendly staff assisted me with all my demands, it felt as though they were a part of my family and I was at home. The tranquility and homely atmosphere encouraged me to extend my stay. A simple stroll on the beach in the mornings and a dip in the ocean gave me a healthy appetite to work my way through the restaurant menu. The food is deliciously prepared by caring and friendly staff. I was a women staying on my own, I felt very safe and cared for. Thank you Stacey and staff for making my stay such a memorable one, I have just booked to go back in December!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Tree Top Room, great view of the coconut grove and steps away from the beach.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ginette P
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Hello Everyone, I visited red rock back a couple of Weeks, i love the place, the food was ok, but the owner and girlfriend, talk so bad about the local people including their warm and friendly staff, Stacey seem very strange and would take 1 week to respond to our booking reservation..

Rat were near our room, the parking lot was full with garbage, stacey said Dominica have very bad disposal system

Room Tip: stacey doesn't like the local people
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank sonia b
hovde34, Owner at Escape at Red Rock Haven, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
It has taken me a while to find the correct way in which to reply to this review. Firstly the reason I moved to Dominica and invested my time and money is because of the people and the beauty of the island. The people are warm and friendly. I have many friends, neighbours and indeed my staff all local and dear to me. My business could not function if I did not have the respect and support of the community, we all work together and are proud of our village and island.

With regards to the comments about the hotel, I can inform the readers that during September and going into October the hotel was closed. Red Rock Haven is a small boutique hotel of two beach rooms and one villa. There was no guest staying during this time and no one of the name of the person who wrote the review has stayed with us.
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Our stay at Red Rock Haven was nothing short of paradise. From the warm welcome we received at our arrival to the sad good-byes when we departed, we have never had such a relaxing holiday.

Our room was spectacular – beautifully decorated and private. The food at the Escape Bar and Grill was delicious, filling, and very reasonably priced. The staff was above and beyond helpful and friendly.

But the best part of all was the atmosphere. We literally felt like we were living in a Jimmy Buffet song. After several days of hiking and sightseeing on the beautiful island of Dominica, we were ready for some R and R, and the Red Rock Haven was the perfect place to find it.

The beach was breath-taking, with its lovely sand beaches, beautiful view of the red rocks, warm ocean water for swimming, and indescribable sunsets. We were able to explore the tidal pools along the shore, and a short walk into Calibishie gave us a glimpse of the local way of life.

We highly recommend both Dominica as a vacation destination, and Red Rock Haven as the perfect piece of paradise to stay while you are there. Hats off to Stacey and Rita for their amazing facility and hospitality!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jo_AnneW154919
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calibishie
Calibishie Cove
Atlantique View Resort & Spa
Hibiscus Valley Inn
Hibiscus Valley Inn
#1 of 3 in Marigot

Been to Escape at Red Rock Haven? Share your experiences!