“GREAT PLACE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Calibishie
Los Angeles, California
“GREAT PLACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Amazing view, great food, friendly staff - it is a perfect place to relax. Dominica is one of my favorite Caribbean islands because of how green it is, the mountain and the beautiful beaches. The locals are really friendly as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisChris79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

If you're looking for a convenient location, excellent service, unparralelled views, and an experience a bit off the beaten path...look no further.

My boyfriend and I stayed at the mountaintop villa of Calibishie Lodges, so this review is specific to that particular room. Upon getting dropped off after a short drive from the airport (where we unfortunately encountered car rental trouble), we were warmly welcomed by the front desk staff at Bamboo restaurant. Shortly thereafter, while feasting on a delicious dinner, we met the hosts/owners Peter and Lystra. They welcomed us then proceeded to spend the next 3 days helping us with our every need -- an occasional free ride up the hill to our villa (normally a challenging 20 minute walk to the villa...a special room they constructed that's connected to their home); constant phone calls to local car rental companies to help us get a car to explore the island; and small gestures of unsolicited generosity such as leaving us power adaptors and a clothesline when we were in need.

The villa was fully equipped with wifi (which worked sporadically), mosquito nets, high ceilings, gorgeous pool, and spectacular views of the ocean during the day and the stars at night. The occasional critter (small lizards and millipedes) made an appearance but this was nothing bothersome. On an island covered in lush rainforests, this is expected!

The only downside was the layout of the back patio. I would recommend that the owners install a extra step between the patio and the pool deck (where the bed of rocks are laid out) because this poses a major hazard. After one of the routine rainy downpours I slipped and injured a muscle in my lower leg. Luckily nothing too major but this could pose a risk for future guests.

Tips: definitely pay a visit to Alford's corner store for general goods and Rainbow Cafe (Michael is the sweetest person you will ever meet!) for a delicious meal.

The town of Calibishie will give you a perspective of Dominica that most tourists won't ever see; Calibishie Lodges made our overall experience pleasant and memorable. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheri D
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a nice experience at Calabishie Lodges. The place is safe and clean which is important when travelling three generations as we did. We found our hosts very friendly, talking openly with us about the toruism industry in Dominica. As we are not just consumers but wanted to support the country we travelled in and are interested in both the good sides and the difficulties of things, we learned a lot from staying in a small and geniune village at a small scale facility. Food was fine and the room comfortable - but the most important thing is that our hosts made us laugh and feel at home. Anyone who is in favour of a genuine experience we recommend to book here.

Room Tip: The top rooms have the best view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We booked this hotel so we would be close to the airport on out way out. Bad decision. We stayed at the Picard beach cottages and Cresent Moon Cabins and we liked both places (CMC's were amazing). But this place was strange.
First, there isn't wifi in any of the rooms. Which would not have been a big deal had we not needed to check in to our flights home.
Second the English owner and hostess sat and pretty much starred at us during dinner, very awkward and uncomfortable. We're on vacation by ourselves, not with them..
The rooms up the road are actually nicer than the ones closer to the pool. Which is weird as the closer ones are more expensive. The food was disappointing. Almost worth not eating.
Save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.
Would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Backcountrygg
Port Charlotte, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Overall my stay was great. I experienced a bit of what everyone described! :-) I am definitely in the camp that thought the meals were fantastic. I suppose I got the good chef or got the chef on good days, but I enjoyed all of my lunch and dinner meals immensely (and I'm pretty excessively finicky). With breakfast, I agree that it was a bit limited and I definitely agree that it did feel like there was rationing going on with a tiny amount of juice given and having to pay for more, etc. One definitely felt a bit 'nickel and dimed' throughout! I'm not too choosy and am an easy sleeper so I found the lodging comfortable. It is true that the accommodation was decidedly basic with a miniscule TV, sparse kitchenette, etc. But it totally worked for me and I'm a world traveler who travels 80% of the time spending most of my nights at Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts, or Holiday Inns. I recommend the ride through the mangroves by boat. It was very lovely and peaceful and I got some great pics. I also went on a great hike that included seeing some rare parrots. Fantastic! Owners (Peter and Lystra) are great about recommending and organizing these trips. I would not choose the lodging at the far end near the road due to exhaust fumes and non-existent wi-fi (unless they have upgraded their wi-fi system). View of the sea was lovely when sitting on your verandah, depending on which room you have. Overall, great experience and I would return and recommend to others if you're looking for a peaceful stay in a simple place.

Room Tip: Beware of considerable exhaust fumes if you stay in the units on the far end, near the road. Also...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have taken a long time to write this review, wanting to offer a fair and balanced opinion of this place. I have also pondered whether or not to write one at all.

I do not want anyone reading this to take a negative view of Dominica as a place to visit or of Calibishie itself. Both are well worth your time.

My wife and I stayed in one of the lodges for the first three nights because there was no water in the apartment that we had booked. This is to be expected on an island that is effectively third world, so no criticism of the owners. For the remaining four nights we stayed in one of the lodges situated on the other side of the road overlooking the village and bay of Calibishie. We also used the Bamboo Restaurant for the first three days that is situated adjacent to the apartments. The views offered from the accommodation are excellent, in particular from the lodges.

The physical appearance of the accommodation and the restaurant is at first glance excellent, and it sets a good impression against the claim that it is highly awarded and of boutique standard.

On the first night we had an excellent meal. On the first morning we were disappointed with the quality of the breakfast on offer. Everything on the menu is priced and you are given what is effectively an allowance. Thus, the concept of “would you like some more toast” comes at a price. I can think of nowhere I have ever stayed before where extra toast is chargeable. On the second night the food was poor and on the third we regretted going back. When we moved to our lodge after three days we decided to abandon the restaurant for dinner and also for the breakfasts that had been pre-paid we were so disappointed.

The exterior appearance of the apartment and lodge was very good. But, as soon as you step inside the veneer falls away. These are supposed to have fully equipped kitchenettes. But the crockery, glasses and cutlery are what you might expect from a job lot at a village jumble sale. In the lodge we had two cups, one of which was cracked. In the apartment we had two cups, one without a handle, and two small tumblers of different type and size to drink our wine from! The shower outlet at both places was semi blocked. No hot water in either basin. The TV sets worked, but were tiny and the sun loungers in the apartment were two old aluminium kitchen chairs. I could go on!

My impression was of a place that had been good but had been neglected over a period of time and had been allowed to reach a condition that was frankly unacceptable by any standards. Anyone who considers the Calibishie complex to be “boutique”, as advertised, in the state that we saw it is in my view deluded. And, this is taking account of the fact that we were living on an island that is third world. After four days we considered moving out to somewhere else, even though we had pre-paid, but decided instead to stay.

This then begs the obvious question as to how our experience was at such odds with my expectation from the website and the awards it had gained. So, I will propose a possible explanation.

The current owners are relatively new and bought the lodges, apartments and restaurant from the people who I understand built the place and won the awards given. They are expats from the UK who gave up professional employment to avoid the rat race and live instead in a beautiful Caribbean island. It is my view that as charming and intelligent as they are, they have not a clue about how to operate in the hospitality industry. I consider that they are completely out of their depth and are advertising the place on the basis of what the previous owners achieved, not on how far they have allowed standards to slip.

During our stay we met quite a few expats living in the village. One lady spotted us buying breakfast food in the local shop and queried why we were buying this when she had seen we were staying where we were. Without us answering she followed the first question with “Is the food really as bad as people say – we have noticed that the people who used to eat there now go elsewhere”. A couple we met told us how good the place used to be when the previous people owned it, but all she hears about the place now are complaints. Incidentally, on the three nights we ate in the restaurant, only one other couple ate there.

So, to my advice.

To anyone wanting to stay on the island, Calibishie village is a good place to stay, but start off trying to book Jacoway Inn, and if they are full, ask Carol, who owns it, where to stay. I would trust her advice. For an evening meal, the Rainbow restaurant in the middle of the village served us one of the best meals we have ever had. The French chef clearly knows her trade.

To the current owners, either sell up or invest probably around £30,000 to bring the accommodation back up to boutique standard, find yourself a good chef and employ a professional manager to manage the place.

Finally, I don’t always write a review of the places I stay. I have before today written 33 of which 18 I rated excellent, 9 good, 3 average, 2 poor and 1 terrible.

Room Tip: Phone the Jacoway Inn
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank RyedaleRambler
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Calibishie Lodges was a great place to stay and experience the northern part of Dominica. We had a ground floor unit with a lovely veranda and nice views of the ocean and town below. It had everything we needed. No air conditioning but we managed well with the ceiling fan. All the staff were very friendly and helpful with suggestions for things to do. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the entire town, which had lots of amenities including restaurants, grocery stores, snack shops, a bakery, and a very nice tourist information centre. Within easy driving distance are great hikes, beautiful beaches and wonderful scenery. We had two dinners at the onsite Bamboo Restaurant and the meals were very good. The grounds were well kept with some beautiful flowers, which hummingbirds liked to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calibishie
Secret Bay
Fort Young Hotel
Fort Young Hotel
#1 of 7 in Roseau
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Calibishie Lodges? Share your experiences!