“Good for the money!”
Review of Hotel Colonial

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago de los Caballeros
Hotel Colonial
North Dakota
“Good for the money!”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I like this place! Always get a good nights rest. I've stayed in what passes for more upscale hotels in Santiago, paid more money, and found far greater negatives than what I found at the Colonial. There are 3 buildings all in a row. The prices I've paid go from about 600 pesos to 1200 pesos RD per night, plus taxes. The rooms in the Colonial are clean, at least the ones I stayed in. The free wifi is fast but does not reach out to the individual rooms. It is necessary to go to the front desk area to surf the web. A huge plus for me is that the Colonial is located only a block from the bus stop, (gua guas, little buses). Transportation is cheap and readily available. I found the help to be both friendly and helpful. I would advise against staying in the rooms that have the electric heater attached to the shower head. Those things scare me. The is hot and cold running water in the far south unit. This is called the "Deluxe" building. Right next door is the Chino comedor. Their chicken is really good. They even have Bohemia beer! A side note: the Colonial is on the radar for a lot of youth groups. Teenagers from a lot of different countries stay here when they a preforming their projects in the country. Always an interesting and diverse group of people.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ghanson55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dajabon, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I'm a peace corps volunteer that has stayed in many cheap hotels throughout the country. This was by far my worst experience. The room was extremely dirty (used toilet paper in the shower for starters), the tv and wifi didn't work, and the staff was rude. I would NOT stay at this hotel again.

Soy una voluntaria del cuerpo de paz y me he quedado en muchos hoteles economicos por el país. Este es sin duda lo peor. La habitacion fue muy sucia (papel de baño usado tirado en el piso), no funcionaron el tv ni el internet, y los trabajadores fueron muy antipaticos. Nunca jamas voy a quedarme en este hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Santiago de los Caballeros hotels

Providenciales, null, Turks and Caicos Islands
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Although this accommodation is very basic, it is good value for money, especially if you're looking to move out of Santiago quickly. Easy to get to and from, situated Downtown...close to the Monument, food and shops. We stayed there two, seep rate nights, and both rooms proved to be clean. Granted, we did stay in rooms with A/C, TV (which will cost a little extra), but the Hotel also has 'budget' accommodation. Do not be confused by the term 'hotel', as it is something between a hostel and a guest house, but we felt safe and we're happy with the albeit small breakfast that only cost $2 extra each... We did not book in advance (as they don't always get back to you), but they were more than happy to accommodate us when we just showed up.

Room Tip: Spend the extra on the A/C if you can - it drowns out the city sounds quite effectively.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Arrived in Santiago for our outbound plane to Orlando the next day and stayed in the Hotel Colonial Deluxe next to Hotel Colonial (same owners) in the old section of Santiago. For $35 USD we had a secure double smallish room with AC, cable, fridge, double bed, writing desk & chair and a large bath w/hot water. Breakfast included. No lift, though. No problem as staff carried our bags up to the second floor room. On a street with modestly priced eateries and walking distance to Rio Yaque del Norte. Six blocks (on Av. Espana) to the Serena Super Mercado. Airport taxi picked us up in the morning with the driver coming to our rooms for the bags and taking us to Cibao International Airport.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank doctorpatrick
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here last Friday night. We've gotten much better for the same price in Peru, though maybe the Hotel has better rooms in one of the other two blocks. We selected a double with fan for 655 pesos and got room 8, the temperature with fan was fine. Everything was very old - electric shower, bathroom installations. Plus there were hairs in the bathroom and we battled plenty of baby and medium cockroaches running around. For me that was the worst part, for my husband it was the 6:30am surprise- one window looked over a small yard next door, where a LOUD motor started running at least until we checked out at noon. Even with the ceiling fan going, the noise came in and bounced around off all the walls. It was certainly loud - if you can turn it into white noise, no problem sleeping... but still super annoying. We had to shout to hear each other.

Location of the hotel was fine during the day, walking back around 10-11pm we were okay though everything is closed. It probably helps that my husband looks Dominican and we are used to walking around Lima.

The owner was nice enough (though we left with a bitter taste since he must have known about the motor when he assigned us the room), adopted a take-it-or-leave-it attitude - fair number of people coming through. They take CCs and have wi-fi in the lobby.

If you're looking for budget, this might be your best option. There may be better rooms out there, just make sure you look first and look very closely at the bathroom! My husband says to say hi to the cockroaches for us.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room (or rooms!) before accepting. Don't take room 8 (or possibly any on the left s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank graziNatalija
Monte Cristi, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Hotel Colonial is smack dab in the middle of Santiago and is close to a lot of beautiful things to see. The rooms are nice, simple and clean.

The management was really helpful in giving directions and in making our stay really comfortable. There is wi-fi as well.

The best part was breakfast! We had mangu, eggs, fried cheese and toast. Super Dominican and super cheap. This is a great value for your time in Santiago.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JoLeah
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2013

As a solo traveler, I spent two nights here. Good location, friendly manager. Room is small, uninspiring, but clean, and, oh, so cheap: $16 for room with shower, fan, and TV (originally I asked for a room with air-conditioning. That cost $26, but didn't need it in February). Was glad I came!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo